Boat sinks “lock keeper bang out of order”

PD1964

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Loddon said:

As someone who lived on one boat and had a second boat when the act was set up I think you are wrong. All we did with the second boat was to go boating every weekend and leave on a different mooring afterwards. It was our way of getting to see the whole system. Perfectly legal and one of the reasons the act was worded the way it was. Remember there were very very few people living on boats at that time.

I remember coming to see you and you asking me if I passed THAT wide beam liveaboard on the way. A long way from today

8 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I think this applies on the Wey and Basingstoke Canal - you cannot leave your boat unoccupied  overnight without prior permission. Perhaps this is something CaRT  might consider. They could easily have some on-line notification system  system, which could be automated, giving automatic permission only flagging up where a boater is clearly abusing the system. I don't like this sort of approach to boating but as usual a significant number of people are abusing the system and spoiling it for the rest of us.

(You requoted my quote of @Mike Todd's post btw, but the discussion point still stands.)

What "abuse" do you think occurs if someone only boats on weekends and leaves their boat tied up during the week?  We are not discussing those boats that never ever move here, we are talking about those that appear, spend a week or a fortnight moored empty then disappear never to be seen again ( or at least not for months, anyway).

Edited by TheBiscuits
clarity

8 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I think this applies on the Wey and Basingstoke Canal - you cannot leave your boat unoccupied  overnight without prior permission. Perhaps this is something CaRT  might consider. They could easily have some on-line notification system  system, which could be automated, giving automatic permission only flagging up where a boater is clearly abusing the system. I don't like this sort of approach to boating but as usual a significant number of people are abusing the system and spoiling it for the rest of us.

And the Monty?

13 hours ago, magnetman said:

Well being a long term Thames boater and knowing most of the keepers I would tend towards the likelihood that the boat owner is an idiot and the lock keeper is doing his job. 

I remember seeing a narrow boat sunk there earlier in the year but I think that was from last springs floods rather than the recent ones. 

I don't think that a lock keeper's responsibility extends very far from their lock gates at the end of the day. 

Perhaps if the boat owner approached the lock keeper and asked 'is it okay if I leave my boat there' it would have a different outcome. I would never dream of leaving a boat in a short lock cut like that one without gaining approval from the keeper. 

That mooring below Culham lock IS part of the lock waiting area it is categorically NOT a towpath mooring. Placing a vessel there obstructs the approach to the lock from downstream. After all if it's ok for a narrow boat then presumably it's also ok for a 16ft wide barge. 

Its official, you cannot call someone an idiot on here.  Even if they are.

I got reported for it;  did you or am I being victimised by Athy?

Is it sexual or ageist discrimination?

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

(You requoted my quote of @Mike Todd's post btw, but the discussion point still stands.)

What "abuse" do you think occurs if someone only boats on weekends and leaves their boat tied up during the week?  We are not discussing those boats that never ever move here, we are talking about those that appear, spend a week or a fortnight moored empty then disappear never to be seen again ( or at least not for months, anyway).

As usual, there's too many people on here who think the only right way of boating, is the way they do it.

So called dumpers are putting less strain on the canal infrastructure than cc'ers, but they pay in just as much.

• Greenie 2
  • Horror 1

19 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

am I being victimised by Athy?

Is it sexual or ageist discrimination?

No, you are not.

No, it is not.

(I think you were joking, but just in case.....)

22 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

What "abuse" do you think occurs if someone only boats on weekends and leaves their boat tied up during the week? 

That very much depends on where they leave it! In a marina or permanent mooring that's fine or even off the beaten track but I have found on many occasions that popular visitors moorings seem to be taken up with empty boats and because their in no one on board they tend to be spread out often leaving gaps that waste prime mooring space.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

You're doing it now.  

What if the friend is a she?  Or indeed non-binary ...

I'm non binary most of the time, I'm sort of decimal, I think its because I have ten fingers. ?

....................Dave

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I suspect those who are keen on holding CaRT to account for actions seen to be outwith their powers under the legislation might be along to complain . . . 

16 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

That very much depends on where they leave it! In a marina or permanent mooring that's fine or even off the beaten track but I have found on many occasions that popular visitors moorings seem to be taken up with empty boats and because their in no one on board they tend to be spread out often leaving gaps that waste prime mooring space.

I have to say that I think it would be difficult to justify that conclusion: unless you check over 24 hour periods you cannot be sure that the boat have been left - it may be that the boater has gone to work for the day. Or even shopping. You would have to monitor the mooring activity over several days to justify concluding that such spaces are the result only of actions by the 'dumpers' - they occur naturally as boats come and go, even when none are leaving gaps when they moor. I say that despite finding on numerous occasions that I correct myself (or have it corrected for me by later evidence) that my initial reaction was like yours. 

In my view, any boat moored where I want to stop is mooring inappropriately . . . 

14 hours ago, magnetman said:

I don't think that a lock keeper's responsibility extends very far from their lock gates at the end of the day. 

Since when did a job stop anyone from doing someone a good turn?

Edited by Higgs

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

+1 ...

(Although I only have eight fingers - are you from Norfolk?)

I knew some pedant would say that?

I don't think that duo-octal is really a viable counting system, so lets stick to ten.

................Dave

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I suspect those who are keen on holding CaRT to account for actions seen to be outwith their powers under the legislation might be along to complain . . . 

Whilst C&RT do not have the authority to add additional requirements to the 'issue of a licence' they certainly do have legal rights to add stipulations to moorings (shown by mooring charges, restricted stopping times etc). cannot remember off hand if it is covered in the 1968 or 1971 Act.

56 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I remember coming to see you and you asking me if I passed THAT wide beam liveaboard on the way. A long way from today

When we moved aboard we used to cc and go for two or three days b4 seeing another liveaboard boater. We took a mooring for a year or so at Bathampton near the George and the school and between B o a and Bath were a couple of dozen or so boats with no moored between the George and Bath. God only knows how many boats now moor between Boa and Bath?? we went down there a couple of years ago and its probably in the hundreds.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

The lass in question may well have been inexperienced (on her own admission) but did she take and follow as much advice as anyone else, knowing themselves to be inexperienced, have reasonably taken? 

No, they found out they were inexperienced. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes there was only one in those days, it was still about when I left the GU last year, looking a bit the worse for wear.

21 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

This is the issue, not folks enjoying the system as time allows them to. The problem lies with those that seem more common nowadays who don't seem to possess neither pins nor manners, abandoning boats for a fortnight on the ends of lock landings, water points and other inconsiderate places.

2 minutes ago, BWM said:

This is the issue, not folks enjoying the system as time allows them to. The problem lies with those that seem more common nowadays who don't seem to possess neither pins nor manners, abandoning boats for a fortnight on the ends of lock landings, water points and other inconsiderate places.

I agree that this is a problem, but see my earlier comment.  There are a lot more of these that have a mooring location code on their licence -  suggesting that most of them have a home mooring - but it always turns into a rant about CCers.

• Greenie 1