Boat sinks “lock keeper bang out of order”

PD1964

Featured Posts

To say they don't know the difference between 3rd party and comp insurance is just ridiculous. Anyone who has a car knows that, as do people who can read.

The sooner CRT sort out their definition of continuous cruisers, the better. It really isn't being on one if you just tie your boat up somewhere and bugger off home for a few weeks - and if you can't afford a mooring, you certainly can't afford to do up a leaky boat from scratch.

Anyway, I've got to go and make a pie for tea now  so I'll leave it there.

• Greenie 1

What would of happened if the lock keeper had adjusted the ropes and the boat sank at a later time? she might of still mentioned that he was the last to secure the boat and did he do it correctly??

We all know it’s your own responsibility to look after your boat and no one else’s, especially at this time of year with the threat of rising water.

A hard lesson learnt, but please don’t go starting a YouTube channel criticising people for your mistake and inexperience.

• Greenie 1

why are some folk critical of or dismissive of that well-tested principle that most of the world has lived by for centuries "Caveat Emptor" ?   .................  and that should include planning where to keep the object of their desires and any legislation or common practice applying to doing that?

........  all too ready to show the world how ambitious they are through soshulmeedya but without much of the common sense our ancestors spent centuries trying to perfect.

5 hours ago, Higgs said:

I think she's handling the situation well. And if the person mentioned as a lockkeeper saw the situation developing, they should have done something. 

I reported a plastic boat in a marina to the marina owner, nothing happened as far as I could see.

I also told same marina owner that I had been assaulted, nothing happened.

If she expected a lock keeper to look after her boat , she should have asked him, and given him her contact details.

Edited by LadyG

Pointing out (without watching the video) that this is the Thames and although there might be an EA 24 hour mooring there (I can't remember) there is no way you should leave your boat for longer. The lock keeper might have some moorings for longer but those are normally on a pay basis and usually upstream of a lock because of what Murflyn said about water gradients.

I feel sorry for the boater but it seems they had little idea about river cruising during the wetter months of the year or EA mooring policy..

• Greenie 1

This is her latest and although she still feels the lock keeper was partly to blame she is surprisingly positive with RCR due to lift it when the level falls. From photos posted earlier on FB I wouldn't be surprised if she also had a centre line attached, but as the girl admits they didn't know better.

1 hour ago, Chris John said:

Good to hear from the same judgemental people on this forum again 

Yes, people expressing a variety of opinions, or "discussing" as it's known. Remember that we are the Canal World DISCUSSION Forum, not the Agreeing Totally About Everything Forum.

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

A slight tangent. At the moment due to Tier 4 Covid I am essentially barred from going to see my boat.

The marina staff where we keep her have said they will keep an eye out and walk the pontoons every day. 

I really need to check with my insurance whether, should the unthinkable happen and the boat sinks am I covered?

I will contact the insurance and report back.

The reply:

"In terms of the COVID-19 pandemic we are aware that with the restrictions in place many clients will not be able to attend their vessels based on it not being an ‘essential’ journey.

Claims will be dealt on a case-by-case basis dependant on the nature of the claim and the conditions of the policy, however we would not prejudice against clients due to the on-going pandemic."

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

What would of happened if the lock keeper had adjusted the ropes and the boat sank at a later time? she might of still mentioned that he was the last to secure the boat and did he do it correctly??

We all know it’s your own responsibility to look after your boat and no one else’s, especially at this time of year with the threat of rising water.

A hard lesson learnt, but please don’t go starting a YouTube channel criticising people for your mistake and inexperience.

In the two floods we have had here I and others have saved boats, first time we lost a couple due to chains one was really annoyed that we didnt cut the chains and blamed us for the loss not really our fault. The last time all were saved however one owner complained we had cut his ropes! even though Carolyn put longer and better ropes on it!! the lesson is you can please some of the people some of the time, you know the rest

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Yes, people expressing a variety of opinions, or "discussing" as it's known. Remember that we are the Canal World DISCUSSION Forum, not the Agreeing Totally About Everything Forum.

Yes comments like this are really discussion aren’t they

“Don't worry, it was probably done intentionally to increase their youtube viewing numbers, and, so they can start a 'help- our boat sank and we need money' page so they can buy that brand new widebeam that they really wanted.”

My opinion is that is totally judgemental and I’m happy to discuss! 

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Chris John said:

Yes comments like this are really discussion aren’t they

“Don't worry, it was probably done intentionally to increase their youtube viewing numbers, and, so they can start a 'help- our boat sank and we need money' page so they can buy that brand new widebeam that they really wanted.”

My opinion is that is totally judgemental and I’m happy to discuss! 

Edit & removed - too judgemental

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chris John said:

Not sure how long I’ve been here has to do with it. 

A poorly managed forum. 

Time to go. Bye 

think this forum has good balance of freedom of expression while not allowing people to get too abusive. you can always report a post... we all judge others, and it cant possibly be moderated on a forum.(any forum)

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Of course it's judgemental, and so is your opinion of it, and mine that they should have got a proper mooring for the boat and not presumably  pretended to be continuously cruising when they weren't.

Any opinion is a personal judgement, and we stick it on here so that those who disagree with us can point it out and possibly even convince us - by argument, not abuse - to change those opiniions. Sometimes, some of do.

Just to chuck it in,  it is my long held belief that only those who actually live on their boats have any right to be called continuous cruisers, and all the towpath dumpers and those who claim they move their boats every second weekend on their unbelievably long drawn out journey round the system are very much against the spirit, if not the letter, of the law. That's my opinion, and no-one yet has managed to change it in thirty years.

I gave you a greeny but I do believe there are a small number of leisure boats that are on a genuine continuous cruise and only move once a week or so, but I bet they could be counted on the fingers of one or two hands. Also there are occasions when a leisure boat needs to be left on the towpath due to stoppages, family issues etc, in fact I am "keeping an eye" on one right now, the second time i've done this recently. If somebody leaves a boat on the towpath and asks me to watch it I will do my best to help, a few bottles of beer much appreciated. Leaving a boat unattended and just expecting somebody else to look after it is wrong.

And to make a very judgemental comment, I would be slightly hesitant about getting involved with a scruffy boat under a tarpaulin, there are a fair few volatile aggressive people with personality disorders on such boats, ..........but also some lovely ones taking on big projects.

.................Dave

• Greenie 2

We will not have to worry about recovery from sinking without loss of life soon as according to another thread on here there is likely to be  a release soon of enclosed lifeboats onto the canals and rivers in the UK.

How they will get to you is questionable as they will have to be portaged around narrow locks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Just to chuck it in,  it is my long held belief that only those who actually live on their boats have any right to be called continuous cruisers, ...............

..............  well, if they are making a genuine journey in one direction for a significant distance over a significant amount of time, that may apply, except that there may also be a few leisure boaters who travel to their boats every weekend or so and make a similar journey.  

Reminds me of my Mum and Dad who walked the whole length of the L&L from their base at home in Otley over a period of 6 months whist they were in their eighties.  Mum was younger and usually had to walk all the way back to the car, doing double the distance, while Dad rested his old legs for a couple of hours or so.

38 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

to add a bit of balance to this, here’s a comment from the latest video, DinoGirl being the young lady who posted the vids

3EF968C4-2DF0-4844-A932-A8F6008B4D18.jpeg

I hope they can get out of this predicament and hopefully it might be a straightforward airbag/pump lift. 
  But who will foot the bill with 3rd Party insurance and what level of RCR cover covers salvage for free?

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

But who will foot the bill with 3rd Party insurance

Quite a few Third Party Only policies specifically do include wreck recovery.  It might even be all of them, as it's the navigation authority that's the injured third party. 

The recovery may only be "Right it's floating, use a bucket for the rest" depending on the circumstances, but a lot do include it.  In these cases, RCR are one of the agents used by the insurance company to do the work - I personally know some of the contractors that RCR then call to do the work.