Boat sinks “lock keeper bang out of order”

PD1964

Featured Posts

Another Newbie Youtuber thinking people are bothered with their self made dilemma, as they left their boat unattended with water levels rising and it sinks, only have 3rd Party insurance so may be getting a big bill.  

Edited by PD1964

10 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Another Newbie Youtuber thinking people are bothered with their self made dilemma, as they left their boat unattended with water levels rising and it sinks, only have 3rd Party insurance so may be getting a big bill.  

Don't worry, it was probably done intentionally to increase their youtube viewing numbers, and, so they can start a 'help- our boat sank and we need money' page so they can buy that brand new widebeam that they really wanted.

19 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Interestingly she did say that it had a few leaks before it sank, which can't have helped. Also didn't say whether it was on a proper mooring or just another dumped on the towpath - if a proper river mooring surely it should have been in risers?

on a lock landing below a lock, hence its the lockies fault as he emptied the lock to stabilise the levels is what she said i think

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd suggest that they knowingly chose TPFT insurance as 'Fully Comp' would have involved having a survey, which it would probably (it did have leaks) have failed.

That may also have been something they were unaware of; not the leak, but that a survey could have limited their insurance rating.   

Edited by Higgs

24 minutes ago, Cheese said:

... plus the two 5-minute follow-ups.

But I thought she is being reasonably pragmatic about the whole thing.  Advising others on how to avoid a similar situation.  Accepting they had made a mistake over insurance.  They had been planning to moor above the lock, but it shut.  No appeals for money.

It would be nice to think that anyone, and particularly waterway users/staff, who saw the situation developing would have done something about it before it sank.

So it's out there as a "continuous cruiser", presumably. Of course, if it had actually been cruising, it wouldn't have sunk, because someone would  have been on it. So that's all right, they'll have saved so much money in not paying for a mooring, they can surely afford the costs.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

I think she's handling the situation well. And if the person mentioned as a lockkeeper saw the situation developing, they should have done something. 

If she wasn't in a lock then it is nothing to do with him. And since she admits that she knew the boat had some leaks perhaps she should have been more personally responsible.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Your time at charm school was wasted.

Would a string of garlic and a wooden stake work?

8 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

If she wasn't in a lock then it is nothing to do with him. And since she admits that she knew the boat had some leaks perhaps she should have been more personally responsible.

She didn't deny that there were leaks, and it's on video, Mr milk of human kindness. 

Edited by Higgs

8 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

does the video give a location of the incident, apart from "below a lock".

It is Culham Lock. There is quite a length of mooring between the lock and bridge and continuing after.

Not nice for anyone to find their boat sunk. 

If in that situation of arriving at a closed lock with levels rising I would like to think I'd have seen the option to turn (there's plenty of room) and return to the moorings above Clifton Lock not all that far away. 

Some people seem to be jumping in and comment without actually watching the videos - which is nothing new!

She says:

- they have only had it a few months

- they didn't understand the difference between third party and fully comp - and advises anyone else to get the latter

- the leaks were in the cabin, so they had a tarp over part of it

- it is at Culham

They are novices, they know they made a mistake, and they are trying to stop anyone else from doing the same.

• Greenie 3

Sad really but to be fair nowt to do with the lockie. Leave a boat tied up anywhere and it's your responsibility and leaving one in winter during prolonged heavy rain on a river is quite simply asking for trouble. Hope she gets a good result but I very much doubt it. 

• Greenie 3