David Yule

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I would agree, except it may be that or being homeless on the street. Living in a horrible boat is definitely preferable.

However, a poor home need not be a hovel.  The appearance is often indicative of the social responsibility level of the occupant unfortunately.  It makes it too easy to make a snap judgement of the occupier.

.....  but we should bear in mind that some of the "experts" on this forum continually advise would-be live-aboards that the costs of living on a canal are significant and are probably more than renting a room or flat.

I suspect that most of the occupants of grotty boats are eccentrics rather than people in need.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, IanD said:

We shouldn't care how scruffy somebody's boat looks, so long as they pay their license fee and follow the rules -- engine/generator running times, insurance, mooring/CC and so on.

Same applies to anybody living on the land -- they might be poor, but that doesn't give then the right to dump a caravan with no wheels in the middle of the village green and live there rent-free while burning a bonfire and dumping their crap on the grass, just because it's a dirt cheap way to live.

If we have a problem with society meaning that people feel the only way they can afford to live is by dumping an engineless junk boat on a canal without a license and ignoring all the CART rules, that's a problem society needs to solve -- but not by saying "carry on, that's fine".

Does it have a licence? I don't know, no crap around it that I can see from your picture? And I would assume as it on winter moorings he is abiding by the rules?

It does look sorry for itself but so does my bathtub and that's legal and its bright orange as well and not pretty at all 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I suspect that most of the occupants of grotty boats are eccentrics rather than people in need.

Interesting, I wasn't aware people couldn't be both. 

At what point do individuals cross the line between being one or the other?

On 05/01/2021 at 12:09, Jon johan said:

There are quite a few on here who need to grow up a bit. Mr shouty, mr angry etc etc

The telltale sign of course is the fact you need moderators. Just that in itself speaks volumes.

They don't need moderators, they chose to have them onsite, to keep it 'family' friendly.

The forums like TB are moderated, to remove extreme spam.

On 04/01/2021 at 09:45, nicknorman said:

So you just want somewhere cheap to live, never mind blighting the canals with a very unsuitable and ugly boat, and you want to bend or break the law. You are not interested in boating. I hereby warn you that you are about to receive a lot of hate.

Did he say that?, I can't be bothered checking back.

So you just want somewhere cheap to live, never mind blighting the canals with a very unsuitable and ugly boat, and you want to bend or break the law. You are not interested in boating. I hereby warn you .......

So you just want somewhere cheap to live, never mind blighting the canals with a very unsuitable and ugly boat, and you want to bend or break the law. You are not interested in boating. I hereby warn you .......

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

Does it have a licence? I don't know, no crap around it that I can see from your picture? And I would assume as it on winter moorings he is abiding by the rules?

It does look sorry for itself but so does my bathtub and that's legal and its bright orange as well and not pretty at all 

I think you're misunderstanding what I said, which was that so long as boats follow the rules (license etc) we shouldn't care how scruffy they look -- this was in response to some of the comments about the photo I posted, which was just because it was the subject of the thread and people had asked where these were moored.

I have a friend who used to look utterly terrifying to many people -- shaved head, piercings, tattoos, generally mean looking, sarf London accent -- who was one of the nicest blokes you could ever wish to meet, he really would help old ladies to cross the road. I've also met posh guys who looked great in sharp suits who were completely amoral and would sell their own granny if they thought they could make money out of it, and treated anyone they thought was socially inferior to them like dogsh*t stuck to their shoe.

Boats and their owners are no different; a scruffy boater in a knackered old tub could well be as honest as the day is long, a smart shiny boater could well be a complete git -- I've come across both over the years...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

They don't need moderators, they chose to have them onsite, to keep it 'family' friendly.

Did he say that?, I can't be bothered checking 

Edited by Phil Ambrose
My bad
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Are you sure you can't be bothered ?

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

Is that something new? I thought one of the features of Thunderboat was that it wasn't moderated.

haggis

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, haggis said:

Is that something new? I thought one of the features of Thunderboat was that it wasn't moderated.

haggis

It might be a ProBoards rule, to prevent dark stuff. 

Members send him a notification, and spam frritters

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, haggis said:

haggis

It isn't haggis what happens is self moderating by ignoring the idiots concerned! It soon sorts the problem 

• Greenie 1

On 05/01/2021 at 07:26, Midnight said:

Hey Dude (see what I did there folks)
The good folk of Canalworld Forum are very protective of the waterways and on the odd occasion may sound a little brusque. There is an alternative and very friendly boating forum where I'm sure you will be afforded an appropriate welcome. Google 'Thunderboat Forum'.

Wasn't that written by Lennon & McCartney??

Edited by Ray T

• 11 months later...
On 04/01/2021 at 09:42, David Yule said:

Does anyone live on a Ex Oil rig Life Boat on the Canal. I'm looking at buying one. Any tips and advice most welcome. The locks are too narrow near me. Anyone just move every 2 weeks on there stretch of Canal. 

As someone once wrote on another forum, "If you can't tell the difference between 'there', 'they're'' and 'their', your an idiot."

Awkward eh?!

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

He was looking at another rig lifeboat last night. The inside to outside when finished was something else. This one was in Solihull 

Are you stalking me 

I've gone and bought a 10m Bright Orange Beauty. Coming to the Rugby Canal at the end of Feb, can't wait to get started on her. Any help and advice is most welcome. And Trolls will be laughed at lots and lots 😊

42 minutes ago, David Yule said:

Are you stalking me 

I've gone and bought a 10m Bright Orange Beauty. Coming to the Rugby Canal at the end of Feb, can't wait to get started on her. Any help and advice is most welcome. And Trolls will be laughed at lots and lots 😊

Rugby, where are they dropping it in?