David Yule

Featured Posts

On 06/01/2021 at 17:18, ditchcrawler said:

Last time I went they were davit launching, we use to do load and launch training there, go for a little cruise round and then retrieving. If you want something that handles badly you need to try one of these with the tiller at the bows linked to one at the stern but operates arse about. ie, push it left to go left. 

image.png.ec337b506a35da0dc459292d150288cb.png

Just what is needed .We would be able to convert all the winding holes into residential layby's

• Haha 1

By co-incidence we had a virtual talk from the London Canal Museum this evening from a couple who tool their ships lifeboat from London to the Black Sea, It can be seen via the link below, you might want to skip the first couple of minutes of me rambling ?

https://www.facebook.com/canalmuseum/videos/3509993649087865

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 2

12 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

By co-incidence we had a virtual talk from the London Canal Museum this evening from a couple who tool their ships lifeboat from London to the Black Sea, It can be seen via the link below, you might want to skip the first couple of minutes of me rambling ?

Thank you Tim. Brilliant live chat. I recommend anyone who is thinking of getting one of these boats to watch this. Thanks again. 

14 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Started watching last night but it got too late and we were only 10 minutes in, so on again later today.

It shows what can be done if you are prepared to put the work in rather than a cheap quick job

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1

On 05/01/2021 at 13:22, Thomas C King said:

Does no-one else like how the boat looks? I'd change the colour to white, make it look the 60s vision of the future. In any case, aesthetics not really a reason not to do it, canal boats often don't look nice to me (especially the ones covered in moss).

got nothing against the design of the boat itself, Stødig (arctic-lifeboat.com) shows a particular successful conversion (though think I would go for a dark blue hull and white topsides myself....However not really suitable for use on the canals, broad or narrow.... 

• Greenie 1

On 06/01/2021 at 07:18, big d said:

The one that was on George Clark’s spaces was murdoch. You can google it. I used to have all the plans and layout drawings from when I was researching as one of the old lifeboats from home that  was up for sale. I thought it would be a good broads boat. I thought many of the ideas would help but an rnli boat was to different to a drop boat and the plan and boat slipped away. They handle like crap as prop and rudder system are designed for open water 

and they don't handle that well on open water either....speaking from experience! 

2 hours ago, Dharl said:

got nothing against the design of the boat itself, Stødig (arctic-lifeboat.com) shows a particular successful conversion (though think I would go for a dark blue hull and white topsides myself....However not really suitable for use on the canals, broad or narrow.... 

Ok on our wide canals up here 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

that is disgusting - should be driven up the beach in India and dismantled immediately.

Whilst it's clearly not going to win any sort of 'prettiest/most beautiful boat' competitions I think 'disgusting' is a bit OTT.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

that is disgusting - should be driven up the beach in India and dismantled immediately.

I would agree, except it may be that or being homeless on the street. Living in a horrible boat is definitely preferable.

However, a poor home need not be a hovel.  The appearance is often indicative of the social responsibility level of the occupant unfortunately.  It makes it too easy to make a snap judgement of the occupier.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, peterboat said:

They do Bill my neighbour lives in an old Springer he loves it because its his home, we sometimes forget that its all some people can afford

We shouldn't care how scruffy somebody's boat looks, so long as they pay their license fee and follow the rules -- engine/generator running times, insurance, mooring/CC and so on.

Same applies to anybody living on the land -- they might be poor, but that doesn't give then the right to dump a caravan with no wheels in the middle of the village green and live there rent-free while burning a bonfire and dumping their crap on the grass, just because it's a dirt cheap way to live.

If we have a problem with society meaning that people feel the only way they can afford to live is by dumping an engineless junk boat on a canal without a license and ignoring all the CART rules, that's a problem society needs to solve -- but not by saying "carry on, that's fine".

Edited by IanD

9 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

i’m surprised at the aftermarket waterproofing they’ve had to fit, i’d have thought a drop boat would be tight round it’s hatches etc.

They leak like sieves when it rains round the door seals. It looks as if the top has been chopped off where the steerer sits

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1