David Yule

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you want something that handles badly you need to try one of these with the tiller at the bows linked to one at the stern but operates arse about. ie, push it left to go left. 

image.png.ec337b506a35da0dc459292d150288cb.png

Oh dear, don't publish photos like that DC - they'll be all over London as the latest cheap Des Res within weeks!

On 04/01/2021 at 11:26, Bee said:

Now if it was an old wooden lifeboat from the' Queen Mary' and painted white everybody would love it....  Converting ships lifeboats used to be a fine way of getting a boat. There are many in Holland but just the hull without the odd looking top and they are nice boats. Suprisingly roomy and potentially a good home. Years ago the canals were full of pontoons, ex army with various tops on them, not very attractive but homes for lots of people. Those days were less judgemental though, some of us lived in old wooden narrowboats that these days would be condemned. There is probably a business opportunity for someone buying these orange  things, cutting the tops off and making really nice boat shaped wide boats instead of the great slabs of steel that clutter up the canals today.

Something like this

eye candy.jpg

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Oh dear, don't publish photos like that DC - they'll be all over London as the latest cheap Des Res within weeks!

I like the smiley face, I've been thinking about a tender. 

2 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Something like this

eye candy.jpg

Siren is our mooring neighbor and a member of the Thames classic boat club/register (I think I got that right?). She is not a lifeboat but a mid 1920's Thames launch that has been converted to fully electric propulsion. It is quite something to watch her glide silently past.

I appreciate the sentiment though. There are plenty of attractive classic lifeboat conversions out there that were done because they were, in their day, affordable vessels that also happened to be of suitable dimensions for many inland waterways (typically around 30 foot by 8).  Completely impractical for a narrow canal though. Quite aside from the CC'ing/mooring/shuffling back and forth arguments around the OP's original proposal, what do you plan to do when it becomes necessary to get to a wharf/yard/slipway to have your vessel out of the water for maintenance? 

Our first vessel was a heavily built fifty year old GRP hull that came out every two to three years to service the rudder, check the prop, monitor any osmosis and receive fresh anti-fouling. Her subsequent owners have more or less abandoned her and she is looking very sorry only four years on. 

• Greenie 2

On 05/01/2021 at 19:18, nicknorman said:

I think it depends on the degree to which the poster seems naive and at odds with normality. For example, if a new poster came on here and said they really liked eating babies (or worse, but probably better not print it here) and did we know any good dark website where he might buy a baby to eat (or worse), maybe from the far east perhaps?

Would you calmly explain that doing such things with babies wasn't really acceptable and was illegal, or would it be straight out with the hate? I suspect for most people, it would be the latter.

The ramblings of a warped mind?

1 hour ago, David Yule said:

Get some Therapy please.

Are you suggesting that NN is in some way mentally ill?

You have been blundering about, insulting and antagonising long-established forum members and, despite gentle counselling, you appear determined to carry on doing so.

It will stop, please, now.

46 minutes ago, Athy said:

Are you suggesting that NN is in some way mentally ill?

You have been blundering about, insulting and antagonising long-established forum members and, despite gentle counselling, you appear determined to carry on doing so.

It will stop, please, now.

Well to be honest sir, I think I probably deserved it! You have to give him some credit for his resilience and thickskinedness.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 2

30 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Tanks for showing that> I heard that 'Spitting Images' was back, but I don't think one can get it on normal telly. The puppets are good but, based on that sample, it hasn't quite got the snap and crackle of the original series.

30 minutes ago, Athy said:

Tanks for showing that> I heard that 'Spitting Images' was back, but I don't think one can get it on normal telly. The puppets are good but, based on that sample, it hasn't quite got the snap and crackle of the original series.

You can currently only get it on Britbox.

I've watched a couple and agree it's not as good as the original.

One of my favourite lines from the original.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

54 minutes ago, Athy said:

don't bother, it's abysmal. Spitting Image in it's day was fantastic, sadly it's day has long passed. The puppets may still be good but the comedy isn't, and the voice talents they are using sound nothing like their intended targets.

a program best left to history.

32 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You can currently only get it on Britbox.

I've watched a couple and agree it's not as good as the original.

One of my favourite lines from the original.

Even before I viewed the clip, I just knew it was going to be the "vegetables" quip!

54 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

don't bother, it's abysmal. Spitting Image in it's day was fantastic, sadly it's day has long passed. The puppets may still be good but the comedy isn't, and the voice talents they are using sound nothing like their intended targets.

a program best left to history.

The original took a couple of seasons to get in to its stride. The first, in particular, suffered from poor writing. Only later did it get sharp.