David Yule

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I don't really take either side in this. David Yule is a tad naiive to think that he could live as a bona fide CCer on a converted lifeboat. I've seen quite a few of these vessels on the waterways and he would probably soon realise it's unsuitable and he needed a mooring. However, on the other hand there are much more pleasant ways of talking to people and there's really is no need for the hate which was promised and then delivered by some on this forum. Once again it highlights a rather blinkered view of boating. As usual anything out of the ordinary that's suggested is chastised and castigated. Is this how you talk to people in real life?

Actually, boating in a broader context is not the humdrum mono-cultural activity that some of you seem to think it is. It's different for different people. Personally I enjoy living on bigger rivers where one sees a diversity of craft of all shapes and sizes. So what if David Yule isn't interested in the waterways in exactly the same way as you are? I know people with narrowboats who haven't got a clue and aren't really interested either! Should they be denied access too? Boating is for everyone in whatever way they wish to do it (within the rules) and someone else who has a different type of boating interest has just as much right to enjoy it in their own way as you do.

It's fine to criticise someone's suggestion if you think it's a bad idea or they suggest breaking the rules, but there's really no excuse for hate. 

Wise words.  It is a sad reflection on those who think/act otherwise.

30 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I don't really take either side in this. David Yule is a tad naiive to think that he could live as a bona fide CCer on a converted lifeboat. I've seen quite a few of these vessels on the waterways and he would probably soon realise it's unsuitable and he needed a mooring. However, on the other hand there are much more pleasant ways of talking to people and there's really is no need for the hate which was promised and then delivered by some on this forum. Once again it highlights a rather blinkered view of boating. As usual anything out of the ordinary that's suggested is chastised and castigated. Is this how you talk to people in real life?

Actually, boating in a broader context is not the humdrum mono-cultural activity that some of you seem to think it is. It's different for different people. Personally I enjoy living on bigger rivers where one sees a diversity of craft of all shapes and sizes. So what if David Yule isn't interested in the waterways in exactly the same way as you are? I know people with narrowboats who haven't got a clue and aren't really interested either! Should they be denied access too? Boating is for everyone in whatever way they wish to do it (within the rules) and someone else who has a different type of boating interest has just as much right to enjoy it in their own way as you do.

It's fine to criticise someone's suggestion if you think it's a bad idea or they suggest breaking the rules, but there's really no excuse for hate. 

I think it depends on the degree to which the poster seems naive and at odds with normality. For example, if a new poster came on here and said they really liked eating babies (or worse, but probably better not print it here) and did we know any good dark website where he might buy a baby to eat (or worse), maybe from the far east perhaps?

Would you calmly explain that doing such things with babies wasn't really acceptable and was illegal, or would it be straight out with the hate? I suspect for most people, it would be the latter.

• Haha 1
  • Unimpressed 2

7 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Said he, with all the vast experience of nine posts behind him.

Perhaps it's the volume of traffic on this forum that necessitates filtering out the more extreme examples of rudeness and intolerance?

9 posts? I suggest a visit to spec savers fella ?

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I suspect for most people, it would be the latter.

Ive quoted you but cut out all of the most ridiculous and sickening counter arguments I have ever heard!  Did you really think that was worth it as an effort to salvage your hate justification.  I thought I had some respect for you at one time and your knowledge and willingness to help is exemplary and I have benefitted from that in the past, but this has let you down Nick. 

• Greenie 2

Just now, Chagall said:

Ive quoted you but cut out all of the most ridiculous and sickening counter arguments I have ever heard!  Did you really think that was worth it as an effort to salvage your hate justification.  I thought I had some respect for you at one time and your knowledge and willingness to help is exemplary and I have benefitted from that in the past, but this has let you down Nick. 

Oh the irony!

• Unimpressed 1

There are a couple of ex lifeboats CC'ing on the K&A, and I bet there are a few in London.

Setting aside the debate about CCing on a single waterway, then you certainly can CC on one of these as long as the locks are wide. I like our lovely 70 footer but people are happy to live in very small spaces and I have seen photos of a very nice lifeboat fitout.

The OP has done himself no favours in his posting style and like many It really gets by back up when people call me fella, dude or bro, though these are common terms on some forums. I'm glad we don't do it here. I suppose its the same as some women getting upset about getting called "luv". I'm usually not too keen on getting called Mate or Pal either but as we are currently in Yorkshire  Pal, Mate and Luv are pretty much part of the language and it would be sad to see that change.

...............Dave

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I think it depends on the degree to which the poster seems naive and at odds with normality. For example, if a new poster came on here and said they really liked eating babies (or worse, but probably better not print it here) and did we know any good dark website where he might buy a baby to eat (or worse), maybe from the far east perhaps?

Would you calmly explain that doing such things with babies wasn't really acceptable and was illegal, or would it be straight out with the hate? I suspect for most people, it would be the latter.

what about cake shaped like baby? 

warning: may disturb some people

I find the OPs post strange if honest, I understand Nick's post back at him and in light of CRT wanting to impose even more T and  Cs on us, for unsuitable craft on waterways. He is pointing out how some boaters would feel about a bright orange boat shuffling back and forwards a few miles, he is making a valid point that they wouldn't be happy. On our big waterways up here it wouldn't matter as it would be a tiddler to say the least, down where he plans to constantly moor it would be a nuisance a bright orange nuisance 

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I find the OPs post strange if honest, I understand Nick's post back at him and in light of CRT wanting to impose even more T and  Cs on us, for unsuitable craft on waterways. He is pointing out how some boaters would feel about a bright orange boat shuffling back and forwards a few miles, he is making a valid point that they wouldn't be happy. On our big waterways up here it wouldn't matter as it would be a tiddler to say the least, down where he plans to constantly moor it would be a nuisance a bright orange nuisance 

So deffo it should be named SS Trump?

On 04/01/2021 at 10:23, matty40s said:

Theres been one moored around Milton Keynes for a good few years now, so far, they have managed to cut the back end off, leaving a gaping hole with tarp over....its now near Grafton Regis, and looks awful.

The one plus they have is that the engines are usually low hours and serviced regularly.

I was going to say that they are unlikely to sink, but might have to retract that now ...

The one that was on George Clark’s spaces was murdoch. You can google it. I used to have all the plans and layout drawings from when I was researching as one of the old lifeboats from home that  was up for sale. I thought it would be a good broads boat. I thought many of the ideas would help but an rnli boat was to different to a drop boat and the plan and boat slipped away. They handle like crap as prop and rudder system are designed for open water 

15 hours ago, Ray T said:

Not all narrow boats covered in moss are intentional.

At the time the owner of this boat was terminally ill and unable to clean his boat.

Whaley Bridge 2007.

That's sad, but not unexpected. I doubt disrepair is ever intentional. The kinds of boats I'm thinking of seem to be lived on by people who are at the end of their tether (mentally and physically), and then there are those vacant ones.

1 hour ago, big d said:

The one that was on George Clark’s spaces was murdoch. You can google it. I used to have all the plans and layout drawings from when I was researching as one of the old lifeboats from home that  was up for sale. I thought it would be a good broads boat. I thought many of the ideas would help but an rnli boat was to different to a drop boat and the plan and boat slipped away. They handle like crap as prop and rudder system are designed for open water 

Indeed, this is a 1905 wooden Lifeboat (originally 'oar' powered) that has had a very high quality conversion.

CAM00473.jpg

• Greenie 1

On 04/01/2021 at 10:23, matty40s said:

Theres been one moored around Milton Keynes for a good few years now, so far, they have managed to cut the back end off, leaving a gaping hole with tarp over....its now near Grafton Regis, and looks awful.

The one plus they have is that the engines are usually low hours and serviced regularly.

There is one in Lowestoft with the top removed from about a third of the way back and made into an open work boat with cuddy. It is used for offshore boat handling training  by Petans  but they put a lot of work into it, not just chopped it off

Let's come to a reasonable agreement to remove any source of potential conflict here.  How's about lifeboats of this type don't venture onto canals and, in return, those with narrowboats agree to keep well clear of waters where these lifeboats are designed to be?

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Let's come to a reasonable agreement to remove any source of potential conflict here.  How's about lifeboats of this type don't venture onto canals and, in return, those with narrowboats agree to keep well clear of waters where these lifeboats are designed to be?

Unless the narrowboat passes the appropriate test, of course:

• Horror 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

No, that's ok, thanks.  I'm happy to just agree not to go there - no need to go to the trouble of arranging any test... 

Mind you, those orange monstrosities would likely survive the average "Cilling", so perhaps we should all get one?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

At the 'end' of the marina we were moored in in Lowestoft there were those testing towers - presumambly the lifeboats had to be re-certified every so often and the drop test was required, or maybe its a training thing ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

At the 'end' of the marina we were moored in in Lowestoft there were those testing towers - presumambly the lifeboats had to be re-certified every so often and the drop test was required, or maybe its a training thing ?

I think it is for training.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Last time I went they were davit launching, we use to do load and launch training there, go for a little cruise round and then retrieving. If you want something that handles badly you need to try one of these with the tiller at the bows linked to one at the stern but operates arse about. ie, push it left to go left. 

image.png.ec337b506a35da0dc459292d150288cb.png

• Happy 1

There was one of those but smaller on the Paddington arm last year. It was attached to one of the more normal looking oil rig lifeboats. 

I thought the regular testing was to do with age of vessel and structural integrity and explained why they come up for sale. Because they have somehow failed the test. 

Or maybe they just have a fixed life. 

Edited by magnetman

15 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I thought the regular testing was to do with age of vessel and structural integrity and explained why they come up for sale. Because they have somehow failed the test. 

Or maybe they just have a fixed life. 

Isn't it because we are decommissioning a lot of North Sea oil and gas rigs? They are now surplus to requirements.

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

image.png.ec337b506a35da0dc459292d150288cb.png

They moved on from selling instant mashed potato then!

• Greenie 2