David Yule

Featured Posts

Just now, Jerra said:

Have I missed something?   The op said "The locks are too narrow near me and then says he is only an hour from the Trent.   Surely the locks on the Trent are wide enough for a lifeboat.

pretty obvious - presumably he has a canal on his doorstep.

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

there used to be one at Lower Park marina on the L&L

Can't recall seeing one there recently (2019) but there was one near Altham at the slightly strange online moorings with the floating dry dock (don't know what its called). Couple of young lads seemed to have it and be enjoying it. There is also one on the hard standing at the same place I.think.  not sure they would be practical on a narrow canal. 

The vessel is unsuitable for a narrow canal because it is oversize according to C&RT's published canal dimensions and is incapable of passing through a lock.

The fact that it will fit in the navigable channel is irrelevant.

Same with wide boats on narrow canals.  e.g. the Oxford canals.

I will apologise for calling the OP an idiot What I should have said was a naive, ignorant and uninformed person. So thank you whoever reported my post.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Yule said:

There seems to be a lot of Ultracrepidarian people on here. Lots of Biterness and not helpful at all. I'm sure they put people of by nasty, vindictive comments. Maybe they need to get a life / personality and chill the **** out dudes.

Awesome word ?

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The vessel is unsuitable for a narrow canal because it is oversize according to C&RT's published canal dimensions and is incapable of passing through a lock.

I will apologise for calling the OP an idiot What I should have said was a naive, ignorant and uninformed person. So thank you whoever reported my post.

How come you get your posts reported and I don’t? SO UNFAIR!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Who would do that Tracy.

Not someone who is trolling, not someone who is an idjiit.

Not someone like OP?

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

As George Burns once said: “Sincerity - if you can fake that, you've got it made.”

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Very nice conversion, but is it OP's boat?

3 minutes ago, Bigtwin said:

As George Burns once said: “Sincerity - if you can fake that, you've got it made.”

So now we know he is over 65, and a wanker,sry, banker

Edited by LadyG

39 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

How come you get your posts reported and I don’t? SO UNFAIR!

you need to get your act together and perfect your style  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

He has learnt the word from his Christmas cracker!  ?

Determined to get it into the conversation whether appropriate or not, its an obfuscation. ?

as shallow as some of the canals then .............  mind you, you don't need much depth to float a plastic liferaft, even if the windage will blow it to kingdom come..

Edited by Murflynn
  • Haha 1

I've seen a few around London (at least the Regents Canal and Lee Navigation), you might find some who have them on the London Boaters Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/73933281285/

They varied from looking pretty dismal to potentially cosy (good windows added, solar panels, even an extended platform over the stern for outdoor space).

Although you've received a pretty strong reaction here, some good points have been made. Do check out the CRTs web pages about licensing, continuous cruisng etc.: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/getting-afloat

1 minute ago, Ewan123 said:

They varied from looking pretty dismal to potentially cosy (good windows added, solar panels, even an extended platform over the stern for outdoor space).

Having looked at few of the videos for me some form of outside space and a lot more light inside would be needed to make it even acceptable for use.

9 hours ago, David Yule said:

Does anyone live on a Ex Oil rig Life Boat on the Canal. I'm looking at buying one. Any tips and advice most welcome. The locks are too narrow near me. Anyone just move every 2 weeks on there stretch of Canal. 

The boat you have in mind is not likely to blend in with the surroundings  and as  said you should not consider it for use on a narrow canal where you cant get the boat  through the locks . 

Permanent moorings are available on some canals as well as river moorings  and marinas . But not all are by any means permitted to allow residential use.

It would be advisable to pick a location where you can move the boat from time to time through locks  even if you don't intend to travel far . It may fit in better in terms of size  , although the colour scheme may not be to everyone's taste .

I could think of some locations on the River Trent near Nottingham that might meet your needs but assume that area  would not suit you.

21 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Having looked at few of the videos for me some form of outside space and a lot more light inside would be needed to make it even acceptable for use.

Outside space and light would be a must for me too. That being said, the one with the platform had as much outdoor deck space as a good cruiser stern narrowboat (and more than many trads/semi trads), and I've seen narrowboats with portholes that would give less light than some modified lifeboats appear to.

18 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I have come across a couple of these ex oil rig lifeboats.One,moored at Sowerby bridge,and another moves around the Calder and Hebble/Aire and Calder.

I helped the latter one when he ran aground at Salterhebble.Very roomy looking but,really ugly.It initially looked to me like a dead whale or like a large boat that had been turned over.

When I helped to move it I cheekily asked if he needed a hand to turn it the right way up,but he wasn't amused.

Doesn't move very far or very often. Usually seen on 2 day visitor moorings for weeks if not months.