David Yule

Featured Posts

Unsuitable vessel for canals.

You cannot be a CCer if you never leave one canal, sailing up and down is not in accord with the licence. Go buy a caravan or a shed to live in and forget the canals please.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 4

Ignoring the bit where you admit that you seem not to have even looked at the Canal & River Trust's words on the subject so make your intention to break their rules and your contract with them very clear for CaRT to see..

I doubt such things have any of the comforts needed for an even half civilised life. Space heating? Fresh water system? Hot water system? Cooking facilities? Washing/showering facilities? Toilet? An adequate electrical supply for 21st century life? Then there is how readily the thing will comply with the Boat Safety Scheme once fitted out. None are insurmountable but I bet they will end up costing as much or more than the advertised price and the time needed to install them will be a minimum of three times longer than you think.

Please think very carefully about this and do some better research from basic documents than just asking on forums and social media.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 3

Only asking for people with experience with these boats. Trolls not welcome. Please go and Troll someone else.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thank you a sensible reply. I follow these guys on FB and there boat is amazing as are the travels they have been on. 

• Horror 1

The Lifeboat is NOT suitable for use on the canals (there are one or two around the country but on Rivers and in marinas)

Your suggestion of just moving A-B-A-B on a small lengthn of canal is against the law and you would quite quickly have your boat seized and removed.

You do need to read up on the Rules before spending your money.

You could always just buy it and keep it in a marina as a 'floating flat'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

No, you go and troll somewhere else. This forum is for people interested in canals and canal boating, not entitled law breaking freeloaders looking for cheap accommodation.

Dude I own 3 houses. But I dont have to justify myself to you. Stop judging people dude. It makes you sound all bitter and twisted. 

• Unimpressed 3

3 minutes ago, David Yule said:

Dude I own 3 houses. But I dont have to justify myself to you. Stop judging people dude. It makes you sound all bitter and twisted. 

Well then I suggest you go and live in one, rather than trying to freeload on the canals with an unsuitable ugly effectively  immovable thing that you have found and like solely because it is cheap.

• Greenie 2

Theres been one moored around Milton Keynes for a good few years now, so far, they have managed to cut the back end off, leaving a gaping hole with tarp over....its now near Grafton Regis, and looks awful.

The one plus they have is that the engines are usually low hours and serviced regularly.

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Lifeboat is NOT suitable for use on the canals (there are one or two around the country but on Rivers and in marinas)

Your suggestion of just moving A-B-A-B on a small lengthn of canal is against the law and you would quite quickly have your boat seized and removed.

You do need to read up on the Rules before spending your money.

You could always just buy it and keep it in a marina as a 'floating flat'.

There are a surprising number on the canal network in broad areas, especially just north of London. But I don't know whether they are all the same size.

A slightly gentler response to the OP might have more effect. Too many popular (and even some broadsheets) keep presenting an un realistic picture of using the canals for permanent residences.

It might be more useful to point the OP in the direction of the relevant regulations via CaRT web site etc so that he can make his own judgement.  Converted lifeboats are not really my cup of tea but I do value the variety of life on the water and would not want anyone to suggest that you have to pass some sort of beauty parade before being allowed on. 'It takes all sorts and conditions . . . '

(Sorry that was meant to be a reply to another post, not really Alan's!)

Edited by Mike Todd
  • Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

There are a surprising number on the canal network in broad areas, especially just north of London. But I don't know whether they are all the same size.

A slightly gentler response to the OP might have more effect. Too many popular (and even some broadsheets) keep presenting an un realistic picture of using the canals for permanent residences.

It might be more useful to point the OP in the direction of the relevant regulations via CaRT web site etc so that he can make his own judgement.  Converted lifeboats are not really my cup of tea but I do value the variety of life on the water and would not want anyone to suggest that you have to pass some sort of beauty parade before being allowed on. 'It takes all sorts and conditions . . . '

(Sorry that was meant to be a reply to another post, not really Alan's!)

Thank you Mike for your lovely reply. This is the sort of reply that makes good reading and deserves respect. I'm just after info from anyone who has done this. Not looking for conflict at all from all the regulars who post on here. The positives and the negatives I'm looking for. Cheers Mike. 

Well the biggest negative is from you. Where do you get off calling people "dude" and "trolls" when you are an idiot who wants to break the law and disregard the rules that everyone else abides by?

Go away and pester somewhere else.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

OP has never said he wants to break rules.

1 hour ago, David Yule said:

The locks are too narrow near me. Anyone just move every 2 weeks on there stretch of Canal. 

It would appear that by asking the question he is unaware of the rules, and if unaware is quite likely to fall foul of them unless they are pointed out to him

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It would appear that by asking the question he is unaware of the rules, and if unaware is quite likely to fall foul of them unless they are pointed out to him

true, I was just saying he got some unnecessary harsh replies...

I have observed new members who are not apologetic in their post(for whatever they are going to say), not mentioned that they have done some research before asking the question, or people who are not good with words, get a bit rough treatment.

here is the winning opening post format I discovered:

'Sorry if this has been asked many times, and am sure esteemed experienced members here will guide a noob like me.... ' :)

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

No, you go and troll somewhere else. This forum is for people interested in canals and canal boating, not entitled law breaking freeloaders looking for cheap accommodation.

Well said far too many of this type on the Canals and on here?

I cannot understand why anyone who allegedly owns 3 properties (presumably of some capital value and/or providing substantial income) would want to blight our waterways (or even just a short length of one canal) with an unsuitable boat, clearly with no interest in cruising. 

I suggest you make a moveable shed from some wheelie bins fixed to a pallet on castors and park it in a residents' car park or a pleasant country road.  See how long it is before the plod or the locals remove the offending object and very possibly you as well.

• Greenie 3

Now if it was an old wooden lifeboat from the' Queen Mary' and painted white everybody would love it....  Converting ships lifeboats used to be a fine way of getting a boat. There are many in Holland but just the hull without the odd looking top and they are nice boats. Suprisingly roomy and potentially a good home. Years ago the canals were full of pontoons, ex army with various tops on them, not very attractive but homes for lots of people. Those days were less judgemental though, some of us lived in old wooden narrowboats that these days would be condemned. There is probably a business opportunity for someone buying these orange  things, cutting the tops off and making really nice boat shaped wide boats instead of the great slabs of steel that clutter up the canals today.

• Greenie 1