Restoration of tug

Featured Posts

Hi all i am about to embark on restoring an old London tusher tug which i have bought off a guy that basically left it to die .  I have got the engine back to good and running and have sailed her to where the work will be happening so basically i am looking for people ie welders joiners electricians  etc who have experience and are wanting to give me prices for the work that i want doing      I have a design of how i want her so if you would like to drop me a line or email me at Andycook63[at]gmail[dot]com i will be willing to answer any questions  She is lying in Cuxton Kent

Please note this is not an overnight project there is a good bit of work to do Thanks in advance 

81798213_121805612651794_6955845285587189760_n.jpg

81392486_121805632651792_7671473045684355072_n.jpg

Edited by magpie patrick
to protect email address from spambots
  • Greenie 2

Shes not out yet Jake hopefully this week  i have stripped the interier back to the steel hull but we think she needs some work doing on the keel and also around the stuffing box area as there is sand and cement there   My mate is going to ultrasound here as soon as she is out and i think 90% of her is good 

She is riveted so this is why i am asking for someone with experience as i dont have a clue on whats the best way to do it 

10 minutes ago, cookyboy said:

Hopefully she should be a great boat when shes done originally a steamer but now has Gardner 6lx which i have just rebuilt  sheswas built in 1870 

As the owner of a Gardner-powered boat myself, I thoroughly approve!

For advice on riveting and general shipyard practices for riveted craft, Chatham Historic dockyard is the place to visit.  I doubt they are open at present of course but their is a good deal of expertise there in the volunteers. Other people worth a chat for a knowledgeable riveter Kent way include Preston Steam Services who are all about on boiler riveting and do a fair amount of traction engine stuff.

You can make welded repairs to riveted craft, but you have to be careful about the effects on any remaining rivets so as not to make them leak.  Pn the canals,  among others Simon Wain at Brinklow , Ian Kemp at Dadfords Dock oc Roger Farrington in Braunston have all done plenty of repair work to riveted boats.  They won't want to go to Kent I guess, but may be prepared to talk about the methodology and pitfalls.

N

Good luck with your project. I restored a similar vessel (Silverlit ex Tate and Lyle) some 40 years ago. I am surprised it was built in 1870 as most Tosher tugs were post 1920. The hull shape if riveted will be complex double curves which are hard to replicate in welding. Tugs normally rot out in the stern because most of rest the inside ends up covered in oil and grease. You will probably need to do a fair amount of overplating around the stern. If you have the name of the boat most Toshers are listed on the Thames Tug site but not all of them. The problem you will have, depending on where you wish to operate it may be the draught. Full ultrasonic survey essential before spending lots on a conversion. Tug conversions are always difficult because the engine is usually when you want the accommodation. In the one I converted and the one I have now both have the engine under the rear deck so you have reasonable cabin space. Picture shows the Silverlit at the Swale Brage March84233199_SilverlitSwale1989.jpg.afff801e518b37d04974f6fa02c8ebbe.jpg

• Greenie 2

Regarding your plans I can only repeat everybody else's good wishes and add to the envy.

What I advise is you remove your email address from the  body of the  forum.  It's likely to get found and sold on by trawling bots.

Then you get gallons of emails about male dysfunction pills, which not only don't work but taste bitter ......... probly!!! ?

8 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

Good luck with your project. I restored a similar vessel (Silverlit ex Tate and Lyle) some 40 years ago. I am surprised it was built in 1870 as most Tosher tugs were post 1920. The hull shape if riveted will be complex double curves which are hard to replicate in welding. Tugs normally rot out in the stern because most of rest the inside ends up covered in oil and grease. You will probably need to do a fair amount of overplating around the stern. If you have the name of the boat most Toshers are listed on the Thames Tug site but not all of them. The problem you will have, depending on where you wish to operate it may be the draught. Full ultrasonic survey essential before spending lots on a conversion. Tug conversions are always difficult because the engine is usually when you want the accommodation. In the one I converted and the one I have now both have the engine under the rear deck so you have reasonable cabin space. Picture shows the Silverlit at the Swale Brage March

Silverlit in Regents Canal dock in August 1986 with some friends on board ?

113 London Ring Cruise Limehouse Basin 16th August 1986.jpg

• Greenie 3

8 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Silverlit in Regents Canal dock in August 1986 with some friends on board ?

113 London Ring Cruise Limehouse Basin 16th August 1986.jpg

yeah her draught is about 5 ft i think but until i get her out of the water its hard to tell as she was sat in mud her engine is under the wheel house and you can walk round it in a fashion aha 

There is an enthusiast who has a page on both Facebook and Twitter called 'The liquid Highway'. He is closely involved with all things Tug and i'd be surprised if he couldn't help you with contacts, history and much more. 

On the "Liquid Highway" f/b page on 26/12/20 there this picture of Jean.

With the comment               "  Brilliant photo, we Hired Marriotts craft one time when we were busy, and she towed me down the surrey canal with them. The skipper thought I was one of his hands(Bobby Clements) As he was told Clements Has got two down the Canal "

I guess the profile is similar if you ignore the steerers cabin.

tug jean.png

Edited by jake_crew