engine replacement

Leap of faith

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Edit to add :

I posted this a few days ago - it would (POSSIBLY) be a suitable replacement engine.

LISTER PETTER, Lincolnshire - Ad 109981 (findafishingboat.com)

nice spray job.

always amuses me that so-called reconditioned engines have usually been sprayed all over, thereby obscuring any defects and possibly covering up the fact that they've hardly been overhauled at all.

I'd much prefer to inspect and purchase an engine that didn't have the belts, tubes and other accessories all nicely painted blue or grey or whatever.

Edited by Murflynn

18 minutes ago, pete.i said:

In my experience every narrow boat that has a diesel type engine is noisy no matter how modern it is. I would think that rather than spending all that money on a different or new engine that, quite possibly, isn't going to make much difference it would be better to get things soundproofed better.

Yes, a noisy engine does seem to be an odd reason to want to change it. Unless it's air cooled then perhaps a set of new mounts, a big exhaust silencer and a load of soundproofing in the engine room would make it quiet enough and you wouldn't have spent more than £1000 fitted.

4 hours ago, Leap of faith said:

So I am pushing forward regardless.....

That idea is probably never as risky as when applied to boating, with the possible exception of bomb disposal. Still, you'll be in plenty of company when it comes to canal boat ventures. 

2 hours ago, pete.i said:

Any diesel engine is noisy even modern ones and petrol engines are not much better although petrol engines are, definetly, not recommended for narrowboats. My 2017 car sounds like a tractor when I lift the bonnet. It does get quieter when I get in the cab but that is with a boat load of sound deadening. Old "traditional" engines are fearfully noisy. Some people like that, no accounting for taste I suppose. I have a Beta Marine 39 in my boat. This is a fairly modern engine and that is noisy especially when standing over it driving the boat. I suppose if you want quiet then you have to go electric. Stupidly expensive although some on this forum have done it.

Allow £5,000 to £10,000 minimum for an engine change.

In my experience every narrow boat that has a diesel type engine is noisy no matter how modern it is. I would think that rather than spending all that money on a different or new engine that, quite possibly, isn't going to make much difference it would be better to get things soundproofed better.

Obviously this post has gone off topic AGAIN. Pretty much par for the course on this forum. Oh well nothing changes.

For 10k I could easily convert it to electric with solar as well, you have to go secondhand but that's life