Do not use Mobile Phone HotSpots for Internet.

dmr

Featured Posts

We are big data users and had two Tree MiFis with 40Gyte each, and also use the mobile phones (EE and O2) as hotspots in places where Three is not good.

We have upgraded one of the mifis to unlimited data so the other is a bit redundant. (remember the joke about the Irishman and the everlasting bottle of Guiness?)

Today we tried to cancel one of the Three contracts and the Three man wanted to know why. We explained that we had another and also used a mobile phone as a hotspot.

He told us that this was very dangerous as a mobile phone hotspot will emit radiation that will damage our health. He recommended that instead we upgrade the mifi to unlimited data...at a much better price than the current unlimited contract. So this is what we have done.

I now need to cancel the contract on the first unlimited MiFi.

Funny world ?

............Dave

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

We are big data users and had two Tree MiFis with 40Gyte each, and also use the mobile phones (EE and O2) as hotspots in places where Three is not good.

We have upgraded one of the mifis to unlimited data so the other is a bit redundant. (remember the joke about the Irishman and the everlasting bottle of Guiness?)

Today we tried to cancel one of the Three contracts and the Three man wanted to know why. We explained that we had another and also used a mobile phone as a hotspot.

He told us that this was very dangerous as a mobile phone hotspot will emit radiation that will damage our health. He recommended that instead we upgrade the mifi to unlimited data...at a much better price than the current unlimited contract. So this is what we have done.

Funny world ?

............Dave

That should be refered to the regulator.

1 minute ago, dmr said:

He told us that this was very dangerous as a mobile phone hotspot will emit radiation that will damage our health.

Good sales patter 

I suppose you wouldnt put the mifi to your ear if a call came in.

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

He told us that this was very dangerous as a mobile phone hotspot will emit radiation that will damage our health. He recommended that instead we upgrade the mifi to unlimited data

My first thoughts are F'ing Lying B'tard!!! I suppose he might be proved correct in the long term, but then noone would own a mobile phone. How on earth did he convince you that a mifi, using exactly the same technology does not emit radiation that will damage your health. Whatever the gizmo that is radiating the wifi waves, the waves are the same.

I wonder if he learned his trade at Currys :( 

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

A MiFi and a mobile phone in hotspot mode do exactly the same thing and emit exactly the same radiation. The only way using the MiFi might reduce exposure is if it allows you to use an external antenna.

MP.

I guess if you are holding the phone to your ear the whole time you are using the hotspot it may not be so good, but who makes phone calls anyway!

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

I guess if you are holding the phone to your ear the whole time you are using the hotspot it may not be so good, but who makes phone calls anyway!

I hear the young people insert Bluetooth earbuds directly into their ears these days, just to get the 2.4GHz closer to the brain.

MP.

3 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

I hear the young people insert Bluetooth earbuds directly into their ears these days, just to get the 2.4GHz closer to the brain.

MP.

I hear that some old people have hearing aids that communicate with an app on their phone using Bluetooth ;)

27 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

That should be refered to the regulator.

Sadly we don't record phone calls.

Also its probably some poor sod in India earning no wage and a commission of not much more than peanuts.

and yes, there is just a chance that he is correct.

16 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

and some not so young ones too. My wife finds it had to get to sleep so wireless headphones playing train sounds are essential. This sounds like a Bizzard thing but its true.

And then again in the old days we sent kids down the asbestos mines ?

.............Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

Sadly we don't record phone calls.

Also its probably some poor sod in India earning no wage and a commission of not much more than peanuts.

and yes, there is just a chance that he is correct.

No, there is no chance he is correct. You is an injuneer and as such you will know that a Mifi and a phone in tethering mode are identical in types, and broadly speaking strengths, of emission.

Edited by nicknorman

I've been a Three customer since MiFi appeared. My device has an external aerial connection with an aerial on the cabin top. Excellent as this boat is a Faraday Cage.

Service everywhere except Audem Town Pound!

I have a phone on Three too.

All the kit belongs to me but the service is on monthly contact for both.

But any problems I have that require a visit to a Three Shop has been a crap experience as all the young techies want to do is sell me a new phone!

That's all they seem interested in, not my problems.

Despite my phone is only a few months old.

When my mifi contract ends in June I'll be round to someone else.

Shame.

James

• Greenie 1

and in addition to getting a cheaper unlimited contract we also get another super duper router that we don't need, its apparently the best router in existence. We tried to explain that we live in a boat without mains electricity, and a little mifi to hang in the porthole would be better, but we had to have the best in the world router instead.

1 minute ago, dmr said:

and in addition to getting a cheaper unlimited contract we also get another super duper router that we don't need, its apparently the best router in existence. We tried to explain that we live in a boat without mains electricity, and a little mifi to hang in the porthole would be better, but we had to have the best in the world router instead.

Which one?

Huawei B535?

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Which one?

Huawei B535?

Thats the one, is it any good?  If its much better than a mifi and can run off about 9 volts it might be ok, I have a little 12volt to 9 volt thingy.

We had a router and external ariel a while ago but the usb powered mifi in a porthole is just as good and more convenient.

..........Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Funny world ?

............Dave

Good luck with that. I once spend nearly an hour on the phone to Three trying to cancel a contract.....this was after being with them for 5 years, so I was 4 years past the end of the contract.

They literally tried everything to not cancel the account......including asking if I had any friends or family who would be interested in taking on the contract. They cancelled it in the end, but it was a bloody hard slog.

For this reason I would never touch Three mobile with a barge pole!   

Edited by booke23

Until yesterday, I have had fantastic mobile service from 3.....got a bit dodgy when they removed my old unlimited ONE contract a couple of years ago , but the phone contract at 40gb, coupled with the new 3 Unlimited 4g data mobile wifi though a B525 with aeriel has worked fantastically...until New Year.

Now, the TV will not see the signal, either vie wifi or ethernet. It did correct late yesterday, and let us watch Godfather1, but today will allow nothing through, either on tv, phone or laptop.

Somethings changed with 3, or Huwaei, or both.

1 minute ago, booke23 said:

Good luck with that. I once spend nearly an hour on the phone to Three trying to cancel a contract.....this was after being with them for 5 years, so I was 4 years past the end of the contract.

They literally tried everything to not cancel the account......including asking if I had any friends or family who would be interested in taking on the contract. 

For this reason I would never touch Three mobile with a barge pole!   

They all take that approach Im afraid.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

They all take that approach Im afraid.

I can’t speak for all other networks, but Vodafone don’t. If you want to leave you request a PAC code via online form, it arrives a few hours later and off you go. You don’t speak to anyone!

5 minutes ago, booke23 said:

I can’t speak for all other networks, but Vodafone don’t. If you want to leave you request a PAC code via online form, it arrives a few hours later and off you go. You don’t speak to anyone!

Sorry. I was meaning if you ring to cancel not use the text or on line method.

1 minute ago, booke23 said:

That’s a very good innovation on their part. My cancellation experience with them was a few years ago where you could only cancel by phone. 

I sort of guessed that.

I think they all do now.

Edited by The Happy Nomad