Another boat fire

luggsy

Featured Posts

Went to get some screws out of my stern locker to see a boat in front of me pouring smoke out of his bow and roof vents and people crowded around, put my wellies on and whent to see if I could help man was sat in bow with his head hanging out and a woman trying to get him out would not leave his boat as his dog was in the boat, so we heaved him out under protest, so I went to the stern and opened the door and dog came flying out , firebrigaed was on the way , on talking to him he said he had just lined the roof out , so I presumed he had not left a fire break around his flue ,  fireman said all the roof was burning, gutted for him as it was his home , if it wasn't for that woman banging on the boat he and his dog would have been dead , also no smoke alarms fitted 

• Sad 1

How sad but how foolish, we have so many smoke alarms in our house its untrue, (Includine the annoying one in the hall which goes off when I open the oven door without closing the kitchen door). Why would you not install them in the enclosed space that is a narrowboat with ll the hazards of poor ventilation, gas and a coal fore?

• Greenie 1

Very sad to read and you feel for those affected but as has been said thankfully they escaped unscathed. 

Those feeling smug cos they have smoke alarms it's worth checking as a lot of them have a 10 year life. My mains powered/linked ones at home have a sticker on with an replacement date, which I've only just noticed when replacing the (backup) 9V batteries.