WiFi Calling

pearley

Featured Posts

Phone reception in the marina we are in, Wigrams Turn, is lousy. My wife can only use her O2 phone if she walks up to the camping ground which is about 25 feet higher than the boat. My EE phone will receive texts but not voice calls unless I go out into the front well deck, but only if I stand up!

I also have EE mobile WiFi using an external antenna with reasonable reception. I can stream TV with occasional buffering and Zoom calls are OK. My phone, Moto G6 Play, says it supports WiFi calling and it is switched on at the handset but is obviously not working. Is there something else I should be doing?

I did go into the EE shop in Daventry but the sales assistant was pretty useless.

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Have you logged onto the boat wifi from your phone??

Some networks require an app to do the wifi calls.

Use the boat WiFi all the time via the phone.

I can make and receive calls via WhatsApp but doesn't work to landlines and relies on the other party having WhatsApp on their phone. OK witgh my son but not for aged relatives.

Edited by pearley

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/using-your-phone-features/how-do-i-use-wifi-calling

Who can get WiFi Calling?

Anyone on an EE pay monthly plan with a compatible phone. Sorry, it’s not available on pay as you go yet.

Is it a contract or PAYG?

Contract

Following that link it implies the Moto G6 Play doesn't offer WiFi calling but it is there in the menu and idiot man at the EE shop said it should. May have to contact EE direct next time I go to the shops and have a better signal.

Edited by pearley

After hanging in the phone outside for 15 minutes with the snow falling EE have confirmed my particular model of Moto G6 doesn't support WiFi calling despite it appearing in the menu. Only solution is a new phone or put up with it.

I don’t know about Android, but on my iPhone to use Wi-fi calling it is a setting in the phone.  It used to be that for Wi-fi calls on Three you have to use the Three Wi-fi call app, but not anymore, as long as it is Wi-fi calling is switched on in iOS the phone switches to use Wi-fi when it needs to.  Have you checked you phone setting in the area where the mobile network is, it is separate to conceding the phone to the Wi-fi for data.

As an aside I am surprised the signal is poor at Wigrams, it not brilliant at Calcutt where we are, but once above the locks it is fine.

3 hours ago, pearley said:

Phone reception in the marina we are in, Wigrams Turn, is lousy. My wife can only use her O2 phone if she walks up to the camping ground which is about 25 feet higher than the boat. My EE phone will receive texts but not voice calls unless I go out into the front well deck, but only if I stand up!

I also have EE mobile WiFi using an external antenna with reasonable reception. I can stream TV with occasional buffering and Zoom calls are OK. My phone, Moto G6 Play, says it supports WiFi calling and it is switched on at the handset but is obviously not working. Is there something else I should be doing?

I did go into the EE shop in Daventry but the sales assistant was pretty useless.

On capable phones I think wifi calling only works when the phone software determines the phone signal is inadequate. One final check might be to switch off the EE signal on the phone and see if it works then. 

Other than a new phone, a possible workaround is to use skype which can be used to dial physical phone numbers at a reasonable cost. In the skype settings you can also adjust the settings so that the call comes from your mobile (or whatever other number you like).

Can I hijack this thread with a closely related question please?

Phone is an iPhone on EE, EE signal is poor here.

MiFi is Three, signal is reasonably good (but does get a little slow at busy times).

Just about all my calls are done on WiFi calling which works well, but only as long as there is no EE.

If there is any EE signal then the phone defaults to that even though it might be hopelessly inadequate.

I can find no way to turn EE off or give priority to WiFi.  Found nothing on the www.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

.......Dave

4 minutes ago, philjw said:

Just a thought, what happens if you remove the SIM card? ( I have only had Android phones)

Don't know, thats a drastic solution, but I assume it wouldn't work because the SIM card holds the phone number and with no number there can be no phone calling.

The phone actually displays "EE WiFi calling" so the EE network is still handling the call even though Three are carrying the data???

..................Dave

50 minutes ago, dmr said:

Don't know, thats a drastic solution, but I assume it wouldn't work because the SIM card holds the phone number and with no number there can be no phone calling.

The phone actually displays "EE WiFi calling" so the EE network is still handling the call even though Three are carrying the data???

..................Dave

The EE site says that wifi calling minutes come out of your call plan, and it doesn't use any of your data plan. They say that this is because, once the signal gets to the landline system, it is EE that carries the call, (you will know what I mean). It doesnt sound like that would allow wifi calling without the SIM being present.

11 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

The EE site says that wifi calling minutes come out of your call plan, and it doesn't use any of your data plan. They say that this is because, once the signal gets to the landline system, it is EE that carries the call, (you will know what I mean). It doesnt sound like that would allow wifi calling without the SIM being present.

The way that I visualise it is that EE is handling the call and connecting it to the destination but instead of taking a signal from my phone via 4G its connecting to it over the internet. Ultimately EE own my phone number!

..............Dave

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/using-your-phone-features/how-do-i-use-wifi-calling

Why calls over WiFi are part of your monthly allowance

Although the call or text starts on a broadband connection, it’s simply using it to get on to the EE network. The EE network still carries the call and makes it possible.

Data allowance

WiFi Calling won’t use up any of your EE data allowance and the amount of data it uses is tiny – a half hour call uses about 10MB, compared to 700MB to download a movie.

24 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Why calls over WiFi are part of your monthly allowance

Although the call or text starts on a broadband connection, it’s simply using it to get on to the EE network. The EE network still carries the call and makes it possible.

Data allowance

WiFi Calling won’t use up any of your EE data allowance and the amount of data it uses is tiny – a half hour call uses about 10MB, compared to 700MB to download a movie.

That describes it well, but of course it won't use the data allowance, the whole concept is that it uses somebody elses' data when the signal is poor.  But how do I force it to use wifi when the mobile signal is present but too weak to be reliable????

............Dave

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Or spell aeroplane in British English so Dave knows what you mean :D

But it is not called aeroplane mode, like it or not it is called airplane mode. Of course if the British wanted to design and sell their version of a smartphone to eclipse the iPhone, they would be able to call it aeroplane mode. But unfortunately the Brits are too thick and incompetent.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

But it is not called aeroplane mode, like it or not it is called airplane mode. Of course if the British wanted to design and sell their version of a smartphone to eclipse the iPhone, they would be able to call it aeroplane mode. But unfortunately the Brits are too thick and incompetent.

Mine is, but it's not an iPhone ...

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Put it into airplane mode and then turn Wi-fi back on again.

This.  Same as you do on a plane where they have Wi-fi.  Then it can only use Wi-fi as the phone network transmitter/receiver is off.

44 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Maybe I need to repeat myself?

Worth repeating, yes that works, thanks.

I'm not currently in an aircraft but that does not appear to be a problem ?

Sometimes I start writing a reply and get distracted and then post my reply before reading interim posts  sorry.

I tend to keep canalworld running when writing software so whenever I get to a difficult bit spend five mins on the forum as a distraction.

.................Dave