Visiting my boat

Paul Gwilliams

Featured Posts

Good day and a happy new year to you all,

Just received a CRT alert that part of the Leicester line in navigable with care.

Bit confused as my marina has told me that in tier 4 I am not allowed to go near my boat.

I haven't seen any notices from CRT regarding the latest restrictions. Whilst I have no desire to cruise Willy Nilly on the cut. I would like to visit and check the boat as I know I'll have a flat battery and despite updating the kitchen there is still some water in the system I'd like to get rid of

I know there are liveaboards at our marina but they are at one end and I'm at the other end and have no need to go near or pass by, or use marina facilities.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

Can I go out on my boat for a cruise?

All navigation in Tier 4 areas in England, and in Wales, should be limited to essential use only. Boaters who are not currently occupying their boat should not take short overnight breaks on their boat during the period. Those living aboard are advised to limit their navigation, moving only a minimal amount to access essential facilities or services when necessary. Please moor considerately.

Boat licence terms & conditions regarding moving every 14 days will be suspended in Tier 4 and Wales until the restrictions come to an end. If you have any questions, please contact your licence support officer.

Navigations will be open, subject to the ongoing government guidance. Boaters can stay overnight on their boats and take extended cruises in Tier 1 and 2 areas. In Tier 3, overnight stays outside of the local area are advised against, unless necessary for work or education etc. We would also strongly advise against travelling to or from your boat in Tier 3 areas.

Note this is much weaker than the current government guidelines:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home#travel

Travelling within a Tier 4 area

If you live in a Tier 4 area, you must not leave your home unless you have a reasonable excuse (for example, for work or education purposes). If you need to travel you should stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live – and look to reduce the number of journeys you make overall.

Travelling out of a Tier 4 area

You must stay at home and not leave your Tier 4 area, other than for legally permitted reasons

Travelling to a Tier 4 area from a Tier 1, 2 or 3 area
You should not travel into a Tier 4 area from another part of the UK, other than for

Simple answer is no. Yes you can, may well do and probably won’t have police knocking at your door but then you have to accept that your putting yourself in the same group as the people that have to do something that’s not essential. If your lucky then you won’t come into contact with covid or pass it on but statistically if everyone pushes the guidance the it will break. Someone’s car will breakdown, someone will get asymptomatic infection. Someone will take up a bed in hospital that could have been avoided. Not a rant at you personally but I’ve been locked away from March to September was out October and then locked up again November and now back behind doors again shielding and I’m getting mighty tired of the people trying to find ways get around rather than ways to help. I’ve winterised my boat 3 times this year already this year as docs told me this will run to dec 2021 so every time I left boat including start of March I’ve fully winterised it 

I think it depends how far you have to travel between home and the boat.

If the travel involves staying local and not stopping overnight away from your usual home then its fine.

The chief officer and I went for a walk earlier today from home to the boat and back again. We  saw a few peole out walking an running.

Just spent a few minutes on board to see all was  well. 

We didn't cause any risk to anyone .......going for a walk locally from home   is not prohibited as far as I know.

If I walk I'll see more people than if I take the 5 minute drive. Park near boat. Swap batteries and charge battery at home then take charged battery to jump start a wheelchair accessible vehicle that will be needed to transport children of key workers or vulnerable children.

The starter battery I have fitted to boat is for large vans with tail lifts and are cheaper than leisure batteries. They get renewed regularly as we have 12 such vehicles only doing short journeys. But since purchasing a smart charger I've managed to revive a lot of supposedly dead batteries which is good for the environment

I asked the question as the boatyard is using TYHA information and I heard nothing from CRT

I will take all the precautions necessary. I've been shielding since March but will not put my life on hold

Or I can go shopping, to open essential shops, and browse with the other knuckle draggers stripping shelves in B & M.

8 minutes ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

If I walk I'll see more people than if I take the 5 minute drive. Park near boat. Swap batteries and charge battery at home then take charged battery to jump start a wheelchair accessible vehicle that will be needed to transport children of key workers or vulnerable children.

The starter battery I have fitted to boat is for large vans with tail lifts and are cheaper than leisure batteries. They get renewed regularly as we have 12 such vehicles only doing short journeys. But since purchasing a smart charger I've managed to revive a lot of supposedly dead batteries which is good for the environment

I asked the question as the boatyard is using TYHA information and I heard nothing from CRT

I will take all the precautions necessary. I've been shielding since March but will not put my life on hold

Or I can go shopping, to open essential shops, and browse with the other knuckle draggers stripping shelves in B & M.

Like me you live a short way from your boat there should be no issues whether you walk or go by car.

The gate at the marina where I keep my boat is locked other than to customers such as myself who hold a key.

The marina owner was there today and was among  the first people we have exchanged  'happy new year' greetings face to face . 

We all have to keep with in the rules, I not been able to go home to Dorset since March, as I work in Cambridge in the week and 

as a onsite engineer  cannot work from home. The only contact that I have had with my daughter and granddaughters has been

through facetime. They miss me but they know it is for the best. It's going to cost me when this is over, my two granddaughters

have talk me into taking them to Lapland to see Santa.

• Love 1

47 minutes ago, MartynG said:

How fast things change - the new rules mean that boat visit is no loner acceptable.

So true. Went to boat late Sunday afternoon, never saw a soul. 

Karma ensued as I'd forgotten door key so left battery onboard. Lifted engine cover to see that the bilge had amassed enough water to submerge the engine / propshaft CV joint. Was hoping to pop around Monday but work interfered. Not going to pay the marina at £45 per hour

Still nevermind eh it'll give someone a laugh