TalkingPictures TV 14:50 “ScotlandYard”

PD1964

Featured Posts

Today on TalkingPictures TV, Freeview Ch81 at 14:50hrs Scotland Yard 1961 “The Grand Junction Case” A woman’s dismembered body is found in a Canal and her tattoo gives a lead.

Apparently true Scotland Yard cases from yesteryear, maybe someone will recognise the area and spin a yarn of their own. 

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Loddon said:

That nagged me for a while as to where it was.

I will leave it to @Tam & Di to say ?

? We stopped by there in about 1962 when we had the wideboat Progress as we needed some National spares from across the canal (to remain cryptic), but I have no clear recollection of the FMC sheds. We moved into the house there just 10 years later, but the two wooden sheds had completely disappeared then, and the sleeper depot was equally barren.

Tam

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

? We stopped by there in about 1962 when we had the wideboat Progress as we needed some National spares from across the canal (to remain cryptic), but I have no clear recollection of the FMC sheds. We moved into the house there just 10 years later, but the two wooden sheds had completely disappeared then, and the sleeper depot was equally barren.

Tam

You are supposed to be telling us where it is . . .  (#3)

It's nice to see the house has been rebuilt. Not a very nice place to live with the cement works and the road noise from the viaduct but a rebuilt house is better than a lost house. I remember when it was properly fallen down. Looks like new now. 

Sneaky peak of a little bit of the roof from the Google streetview from the National spares shed area. 

Screenshot_2021-01-02-17-34-23-517_com.google.android.apps.maps.png

Edited by magnetman

Thanks for the tip, I watched the (short) film. Plot was not its strong point! But good to see Edgar Lustgarten again, I remember him presenting crime programmes when I was just above knee-high.

We stayed tuned to watch Angels One Five, a rather better film, a 1952 WW2 R.A.F. drama with one of those they're-all-in-there post-war British casts: Johgn Gregson, Jack Hawkins, Harry Fowler, Michael Denison and (inevitably) Sam Kydd playing a bit-part as  a mess orderly. So thanks, PD, for pointing me towards this station which I hadn't been aware of before.

I am always looking for shots of White Heather but the tug I think is Naseby and seems to have the BTC or BTW logo on the funnel. We came across a body between Bulls Bridge and Norwood Top in the late 70's and were held up for some time while they fished the body out. Apparently it was a doctor and had been murdered by one of her patients. Haven't managed to see that episode yet!

BW bought us out when they were in expansionist mode, but never did anything to look after it. I'm glad I never saw it in that state - rather sickening, especially as we got some degree of listing on it to protect it when we were there. Tim Wood did tell me that kids had set fire to it at one stage.

Tam

17 minutes ago, Loddon said:

House is looking better on maps.

Screenshot_20210102_183706_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

This was the second attempt at rebuilding the building. In first attempt an Alpine style roof was constructed but without planning permission. The l;ocal authority ordered it's removal and the roof as shown was constructed.

• Greenie 1

I tried to get that image on Google maps but it wouldn't let me despite the GU main line towpath being covered in that area. Old phone maybe. 

58 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I am always looking for shots of White Heather but the tug I think is Naseby and seems to have the BTC or BTW logo on the funnel. We came across a body between Bulls Bridge and Norwood Top in the late 70's and were held up for some time while they fished the body out. Apparently it was a doctor and had been murdered by one of her patients. Haven't managed to see that episode yet!

I will always remember Nick driving White Heather through thick ice in Cookham lock cut opening up a channel for his parents in their Dutch barge "Spes'. Would have been 1995 or 1996 as I spent both of those winters living on my narrow boat in Cookham lock cut. 

Oddly enough I was breaking ice (much thinner) in the same place a couple of days ago in a small GRP boat. 

Time flies ! 

Sorry I don't have any pictures of White Heather. Nice boat. 

2 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

BW bought us out when they were in expansionist mode, but never did anything to look after it. I'm glad I never saw it in that state - rather sickening, especially as we got some degree of listing on it to protect it when we were there. Tim Wood did tell me that kids had set fire to it at one stage.

Tam

It was in a much worse state at one time.  I recall the roof being gone completely and plants growing out of the house. Properly nackered. 

I was surprised to see it survive to be honest. 

Edited by magnetman

Not seen him for a while but he had GU boats Coronis and Columba last I heard with the latter out of water at Winkwell. Also owned the ex PLA Yarwoods built Frederick Whittingham which is a very cool little boat.  Too much overplating but a nice craft. 

Edited by magnetman
Edit to correct former for latter.

14 hours ago, magnetman said:

Not seen him for a while but he had GU boats Coronis and Columba last I heard with the latter out of water at Winkwell. Also owned the ex PLA Yarwoods built Frederick Whittingham which is a very cool little boat.  Too much overplating but a nice craft. 

If I remember correctly, the Frederick Whittingham was one of the Port of London Health Authority launches based on the Thames at Gravesend in the late sixties/early seventies.  A friend of my father was the senior skipper at the base and I had quite a few trips on the craft there as a teenager.  I went on board the FW when it was alongside, but never got a trip on her (him).