Damp patches below windows

Joel_C

Featured Posts

Hi all, we've been keeping warm through winter but have notice damp patches appearing on the interior fabric wall below our cabin window oon our narrowboat. 

Having noticed condensation building up around the window frames and being concerned that there might be water leaking through I've recaulked around the frame on the inside, but the patches haven't abated. I've read that if it is a leak through the windows We need to get them reset- is there any way of finding out if this is the case before taking the windows out? Does anyone have experience of similar damp spots and could there be another cause worth ruling out?

Thanks all

21 minutes ago, Joel_C said:

Hi all, we've been keeping warm through winter but have notice damp patches appearing on the interior fabric wall below our cabin window oon our narrowboat. 

Having noticed condensation building up around the window frames and being concerned that there might be water leaking through I've recaulked around the frame on the inside, but the patches haven't abated. I've read that if it is a leak through the windows We need to get them reset- is there any way of finding out if this is the case before taking the windows out? Does anyone have experience of similar damp spots and could there be another cause worth ruling out?

Thanks all

Are the little weep holes in the bottom of the frame clear to let condensation out when it starts running down the windows

You need to take the window trim off to find where it is coming from.  It could be condensation getting between the frame and trim, or it could be a leak between the window and the panel.  If the latter. Capt Tolley's Leaking Crack Cure might fix it (it did mine, once I had found the leak).

How many times on a cold day do you clear the condensation off the frame? Condensation on the frame can only drip/run down onto the cabin lining/window trim (depending on fit out method).

The little drain holes that @ditchcrawler mentioned should be done each autumn and ideally several times a year. be aware that on older boats the glass can drop and block the holes. The channel below the glass on the  inside should remain fairly well water fee apart from where it pools at the back of the frame  where the boat trims down by the stern.

Only after you have ensured the above is OK should you consider leaking between frame and cabin side as @dor explained but leaking here typically only occurs during wet weather and you are likely to find water building up in the bilge. Capt. Tolly's is unlikely to be a long tern fix but fine to get you to the summer when you can take the window out and seal it properly. Rust can from on the cabin side under the frame and push the frame off the seal.

I don't think sealing on the inside could ever solve such a problem and maybe make it worse by forming an easy route for water to run onto the inner cabin lining.