Re-gas a 12v fridge

NB_Box12

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, BEngo said:

The normal method of gassing a fridge involves crimping,  folding and brazing or silver soldering the filler pipe once the gas is in. No gaskets involved.

I suspect the problem is in the Danfoss mechanical unit, if only because the evaporator and condenser pipework etc. are not disturbed in the conversion.  Not all of these Danfoss units  originate from the European factory.

N

isn't the brass thing in the photo the filler point and my suspected weak link?

1627392867283b.jpg

1627392965151b (Large).jpg

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think that it has been worked on once already, hence the fill valve fitted.  Not the best idea, crimp and brazed is better, it may be the leak point.

well yes that was my suspicion, its a Shoreline so I assume put there when they connected the 12v compressor to replace the mains one

Could be, but both my Shoreline fridges with BD35 compressor have had a crimped and brazed fill pipe.

Like Tracy, I think any valve is a probable leak point, sooner or later.

N

Well I found a fridge engineer. Not  easy most run a mile when you say 12 volts. He confirmed lack of gas and refilled (£80). That brass valve may or may not have been the culprit but he couldn't find any obvious leak. So I will report back in 12 months if it is still going, or not if it fails sooner!

In any event my experience and that of others, it appears,  is that these converted fridges often don't last more than 5/6 years (and the ususal mode of failure is lack of gas) So if  it does go again I think it will be time to go over to 230 volt (and inverter)!

Edited by Phoenix_V
  • Happy 2

13 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

My converted LEC, labelled Batts is 26 years old and working well, never been repaired. I have probably HeXeD it now.

Perhaps that is why Batts are no longer in business, no repeat sales when the fridge expires after 5/6 years?

25 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

Perhaps that is why Batts are no longer in business, no repeat sales when the fridge expires after 5/6 years?

My Lec / Batts fridge - freezer is the same vintage as Tracy's.

Sadly Mr Batts came to a sticky end some years ago - that's why there aren't amy mor for sale.....

On 03/08/2021 at 12:49, Phoenix_V said:

Well I found a fridge engineer. Not  easy most run a mile when you say 12 volts. 

I think you're right when you say they're hard to find - how's about you share your own good fortune and give the guy a chance of more business by sharing his details the rest of us (and those still to come looking)?

48 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I think you're right when you say they're hard to find - how's about you share your own good fortune and give the guy a chance of more business by sharing his details the rest of us (and those still to come looking)?

Sure,but he is in Bishops Stortford so only likely to be of help on Lea and Stort, Appliance Breakdown Service 01279 501539, 07768596151

1 hour ago, Phoenix_V said:

Sure,but he is in Bishops Stortford so only likely to be of help on Lea and Stort, Appliance Breakdown Service 01279 501539, 07768596151

Handy enough for some, but it appears they're so rare it might be worth the trip for others! Thanks for posting the info. :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I first replaced the complete thermostat unit but unfortunately it made no difference. I was finally given the  name of “Inlander Low Voltage Refridgeration” in Birmingham and am taking it into them on Monday. The engineer believes he can sort it. Any other replacement fridge wouldn’t fit the hole and I really don’t want to have to reconfigure the galley so my fingers are crossed !!

On 03/08/2021 at 12:49, Phoenix_V said:

Well I found a fridge engineer. Not  easy most run a mile when you say 12 volts. He confirmed lack of gas and refilled (£80). That brass valve may or may not have been the culprit but he couldn't find any obvious leak. So I will report back in 12 months if it is still going, or not if it fails sooner!

In any event my experience and that of others, it appears,  is that these converted fridges often don't last more than 5/6 years (and the ususal mode of failure is lack of gas) So if  it does go again I think it will be time to go over to 230 volt (and inverter)!

Despite suspecting the filler point and the engineer checking and retightening this the fridge failed again after a few days, the leak is clearly in a hidden part. I suspect that most of these cheap fridges come from China perhaps there is built in obsolesence. Does anyone want a BD35 12v compressor and control box apparently still working?

On 07/08/2021 at 14:21, Seajays said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I first replaced the complete thermostat unit but unfortunately it made no difference. I was finally given the  name of “Inlander Low Voltage Refridgeration” in Birmingham and am taking it into them on Monday. The engineer believes he can sort it. Any other replacement fridge wouldn’t fit the hole and I really don’t want to have to reconfigure the galley so my fingers are crossed !!

Do let us know what they say.

I looked at the Inlander websites, they repair any make of fridge (but you have to take it to them) they also sell modified mains fridges with  a wide choice of base model (and they tell you which base model unlike Shoreline)

However I have had enough of this and am replacing with a 230v fridge. Small a++/E standard fridges are hard to find and they are probably built in China too but at least if and when one fails they are cheap and easy to replace. I shall be buying one in Belgium but in the UK Inventor fridges seem popular with the mobile home market (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inventor-Internal-dormitories-Capability-Eco-Friendly/dp/B01E02P3PK/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Inventor+fridge&qid=1628493196&s=appliances&sr=1-4)

Research on the internet shows that larder fridges are much more economical to run than those with a proper frozen food section so the a+ status may not be so important in that case but I am told we must have a proper frozen food section unfortunately. A halfway house is those that have a small icebox which barely goes down to 0 degrees (compare the consumption of the Inventor 93l and 98l to get a handle on this)

I have a Victron inverter which will run it but will be looking at getting a separate inverter to run the fridge, does anyone have any recommendations?

Edited by Phoenix_V

1 hour ago, Phoenix_V said:

I have a Victron inverter which will run it but will be looking at getting a separate inverter to run the fridge, does anyone have any recommendations?

I havent bothered, the standby power of the Victron is only 2-3 watts I doubt you will find an inverter that consumes less than that.

You do need to have the pc/phone interface gizzmo  to set it up.

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

I havent bothered, the standby power of the Victron is only 2-3 watts I doubt you will find an inverter that consumes less than that.

You do need to have the pc/phone interface gizzmo  to set it up.

Mine is older it doesn't appear to have the eco mode, I was thinking of one of those that only turn on when they detect a load just for the fridge, but the victron will certanly be OK for now

15 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

Mine is older it doesn't appear to have the eco mode, I was thinking of one of those that only turn on when they detect a load just for the fridge, but the victron will certanly be OK for now

Have you got the external USB interface if not you won't see the ecomode as it's not switchable via the dipswitches. The Victron I had on the barge ten years ago had it.

14 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Have you got the external USB interface if not you won't see the ecomode as it's not switchable via the dipswitches. The Victron I had on the barge ten years ago had it.

Doesn't seem to be any usb connection, just the remote control port but will have a proper look when allowed back to the boat!

manual says 6 watts standby it is probably at least 12 maybe 14 years old! Victron 12/1600/70 multiplus

15 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

Doesn't seem to be any usb connection, just the remote control port but will have a proper look when allowed back to the boat!

manual says 6 watts standby it is probably at least 12 maybe 14 years old! Victron 12/1600/70 multiplus

The usb is an external unit that plugs into an RJ45 socket in the combi that I think is alongside the one used for the remote control.

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/interface-mk3-usb

Worth its weight in gold if you wish to reconfigure the Combi, for example I have to switch power saving off every time I want to use tge washing machine makes it simple to do.

On 09/08/2021 at 11:53, Loddon said:

The usb is an external unit that plugs into an RJ45 socket in the combi that I think is alongside the one used for the remote control.

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/interface-mk3-usb

Worth its weight in gold if you wish to reconfigure the Combi, for example I have to switch power saving off every time I want to use tge washing machine makes it simple to do.

OK thanks when I am back on the boat I will check the exact model number and make enquiries

This is very tempting 12 volt converted fridges from about £350. https://belluna.eu/kategorie/kuhlschranke/

A German company but not too bad for delivery to me in Belgium.

But they do appear to have an agent in the UK. https://imegastores.co.uk/new-12v-24v-compressor-fridge-98-litre-match-dometic-waeco-cre-crx-campervan or https://www.gumtree.com/p/fridges-freezers/92-liter-compressor-refrigerator-12v-24v-volt-motorhome-caravan-boat-solar/1387344225

They use a Sikelan compressor which is a knock off copy of the Danfoss which probably expains the cheap price.

I think I am probably going to go down the 230 v route now but this is tempting and may be of interest to some.

Edited by Phoenix_V