Anyone snowed in ?

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, haggis said:

That's lovely, Mac. It will soon be time for your snowdrops ?. Ours are just poking their heads through and have a long way to go before we see any flowers

Haggis. 

I have snowdrops crocus and daffs coming through for the last 3 weeks. Won't be long now ?

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I have snowdrops crocus and daffs coming through for the last 3 weeks. Won't be long now ?

But you are a lot further south than me ! Mac is not so far from me but seems to have a better climate

Haggis

8 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Dunno about models, but the Met office forecast is right on. Just above freezing now so no more ice formation. Can't tell exactly how much accumulated overnight 'cause a boat came past very noisily whilst I was still in bed, so we're in the clear now. Need to get up the Stourbridge flight this weekend before it closes. Saturday looks best.

MP.

If it was about 8.30 this morning it was probably me. Did knock it in and out of gear as I passed too ?- came down Stourbridge flight yesterday, it was fairly clear of ice but the towpath was lethal.

32 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

If it was about 8.30 this morning it was probably me. Did knock it in and out of gear as I passed too ?- came down Stourbridge flight yesterday, it was fairly clear of ice but the towpath was lethal.

Well, nobody else has passed all day :) I'm not complaining, the clear path you made is still open. There's no quiet way to boat through ice!

The ground here has thawed and a fair amount of lying ice/snow has gone, but it's due to freeze again tonight so we'll have to be careful tomorrow.

MP.

26 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Well, nobody else has passed all day :) I'm not complaining, the clear path you made is still open. There's no quiet way to boat through ice!

The ground here has thawed and a fair amount of lying ice/snow has gone, but it's due to freeze again tonight so we'll have to be careful tomorrow.

MP.

Hope it thaws a bit for you- its was starting to get a bit thick in a couple of spots between the flights.. Quite glad to see a bit of drizzle when I set off this morning ?

On 01/01/2021 at 00:15, john6767 said:

No snow in a West Midlands, there was some on Tuesday but did not last long.  It’s cold though around freezing.

Depends where in the West Midlands you are.

We have just had a quick flurry.

20201229_094953.jpg

Edited by cuthound
To remove a duplicate post.

It snowed on us as we were ascending the Stourbridge Flight. The ice is thicker above the flight than below, not surprisingly. And thinker again above the Delph 9.  Now stopped at Merry Hill, so have access to civilisation. The ice in the basin is 1cm plus thick.

@PaulJ had a good road all the way :cheers:.

MP.

50 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

It snowed on us as we were ascending the Stourbridge Flight. The ice is thicker above the flight than below, not surprisingly. And thinker again above the Delph 9.  Now stopped at Merry Hill, so have access to civilisation. The ice in the basin is 1cm plus thick.

@PaulJ had a good road all the way :cheers:.

MP.

You made pretty good time there. Did virtually the same in reverse but took me from nearly light to nearly dark single handing it. Was bludy slow going.

That patch just above Stourbridge Flight was a pain getting round the corners ?

25 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

You made pretty good time there. Did virtually the same in reverse but took me from nearly light to nearly dark single handing it. Was bludy slow going.

That patch just above Stourbridge Flight was a pain getting round the corners ?

Crew of two and a good road really helps. In better circumstances we'd have been faster. I normally go up the ladder after entering the lock to get one bottom gate and one top paddle, and take the boat out of the lock and close up whilst Moominmama goes ahead to the next, with the conditions today we decided that leaping on and off should be minimised.

I went around every bend without problems except turning 90 degrees left onto the VMs outside the Copthorne Hotel at Merry Hill. That took a few bites, and quite a lot of clearing broken ice from between the boat and the bank with the keb. Having a heavy-arsed boat does help sometimes.

MP.

22 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Crew of two and a good road really helps. In better circumstances we'd have been faster. I normally go up the ladder after entering the lock to get one bottom gate and one top paddle, and take the boat out of the lock and close up whilst Moominmama goes ahead to the next, with the conditions today we decided that leaping on and off should be minimised.

Me too-was glad to be going downhill and not have to use the ladders. Only injury I collected was when my still frozen rope hit me on the nose and cut it ?

Had a really enjoyable run through- all the towpath walkers were even chattier than usual and I have never had so many fisherman all say -  Wish you had come past a few hours ago ?

Quite a bit of snow here last night.  But not snowed in, as the the plough unexpectedly came through this afternoon - it usually takes 2 or 3 days for them to get around to us.  Another pic from the top of the hill behind the house - Little Dog was really loving it all.

Rita trig snow.jpg

• Greenie 1