C&RT returns seized boat after legal action taken against them

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Talking is fine as long as you are happy for there to be no record of the conversion. When dealing setups like CaRT I always  email or write. Its far harder for them to deny you ever contacted them. Why else do you think so many large companies are happy to give a customer services phone number but no email address and tend to hide the correct postal address. I am still annoyed that BT tries to charge me £60 for doing nothing to rectify an intermittent fault in their lines and only rescinded it when I wrote asking where to send the notice of court action and enclosing copies of emails that stated it was an intermittent fault related to weather.

Communicate definitely but in a form that allows you to easily keep hard copies.

Plenty of emails, also the company lawyer said they have accepted and banked the money so a contract between us was formed. It was a case of left hand didnt know what the right hand was doing

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I've never had a problem licencing my boat on their creaking IT system. 

I have. In the days of paper licences they sent us the wrong licence (for somebody elses' boat) and when I phoned them they started to behave very oddly. They appeared to be trying to convince themselves that WE were doing some sort of scam. This was when I first realised that CRT can not always be trusted to be totally straight. However by sensible but firm discussion it was soon resolved.

...............Dave

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Talking is fine as long as you are happy for there to be no record of the conversion.

If you have a modern phone, you can install an app to record your conversations. Quite useful for those slimy sorts of organisations that refuse to communicate via written word. My last letting agents being a prime example.

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Talking is fine as long as you are happy for there to be no record of the conversion. When dealing setups like CaRT I always  email or write. Its far harder for them to deny you ever contacted them. Why else do you think so many large companies are happy to give a customer services phone number but no email address and tend to hide the correct postal address. I am still annoyed that BT tries to charge me £60 for doing nothing to rectify an intermittent fault in their lines and only rescinded it when I wrote asking where to send the notice of court action and enclosing copies of emails that stated it was an intermittent fault related to weather.

Communicate definitely but in a form that allows you to easily keep hard copies.

I agree, but I do this for a different reason.

If your query is a complicated one, explaining it to whoever first answers the phone in the call centre is a pointless waste of both your time and theirs. 

If it's an email, it can easily be forwarded to the correct department or person to deal with it.  Add your phone number and they can ring you back if they need any further clarification.

For simple queries or to report issues I spot on the system I just ring them.

4 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

Good solid advice for those owning a boat. [A red waving flag for those that do not]. ?

Perhaps as a new member you might benefit from being aware that boat ownership is not a pre-requisite of forum membership You might be surprised by the numbers of members on here who do not currently own a boat.

Some of course do, some aspire to but don't yet, some have done but no longer do (that's me), some are hire boaters and some have no intention of actually owning a boat what so ever but merely have an interest in boats, rivers and canals.

So perhaps you could wind in your stupid little armchair/sofa steering comments and similar (as above) you might find your comments on other matters might just be taken a little more seriously.

Tony's advice was good advice when dealing with any large organisation, boat ownership wasn't mentioned because it wasn't at all relevant (A bit like most of your contributions on here so far)

1 minute ago, Jon johan said:

Not at all surprised fella. Much of the post content serves to enforce that statement.

Which begs the question 'fella' why you even bothered to join if you believe that.

And being totally honest I have seen absolutely nothing in anything you have posted since you joined  that would indicate you have ever owned a boat or currently do.

Yes you have made a few random snide comments and an occasional boat related comment but that does not make you a boat owner.

44 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

Tell me Mr shouty, which armchair are you steering today?

Oh dear!!

2 questions:
Where have I ever shouted at you?
Are you going to answer any of the questions asked of you by me and others in this thread?

And I wonder when you will realise that throwing insults at people does nothing to further your argument, in fact it does exactly the opposite.

EDIT
For your information, ex-hire boater, ex-share boat owner, now considering buying a boat. 

Edited by Graham Davis

Talking (Or writing) is indeed the most effective way of dealing with problems with all sorts of annoying organisations. Thing is that it is on a sliding scale. If you are educated, used to dealing with professional people, sound middle class and educated and can string a few words together you can get excellent results. From then on it gets less effective, crap spelling in a letter, telephone phobia, foreign accent or sounding lower working class and you will end up something between no satisfaction at all and 90 days for wasting an important persons time.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Your own Avatar details suggests you are not a boat owner.

What arm-chair are you driving today ?

My own avatar suggests nothing of the sort, no need for you to play the fool fella.
Swivel chair on the wide beam today with a G&T in hand. A tad too cold for a cruise.

The Birchwoods in a wrap till spring.

• Unimpressed 1

8 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

My own avatar suggests nothing of the sort, no need for you to play the fool fella.
Swivel chair on the wide beam today with a G&T in hand. A tad too cold for a cruise.

The Birchwoods in a wrap till spring.

Yada yada......

Yup I'm sat on the deck of my chartered luxury yacht currently moored in Portofino. A bit warmer here though.

Took this pic. of it on this mornings constitutional.....

Portofino.JPG

Edited by The Happy Nomad

23 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Yada yada......

Yup I'm sat on the deck of my chartered luxury yacht currently moored in Portofino. A bit warmer here though.

Took this pic. of it on this mornings constitutional.....

Portofino.JPG

Does this forum have rules on copyright infringement?

• [attribution – You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.]

16 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

Does this forum have rules on copyright infringement?

• [attribution – You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.]

Yer more ......   Yada yada

Report it if it bothers you.......

But remember by re posting the picture in your post you too may have breached copyright.

PS - is your swivel chair wheel or tiller steering?

2 minutes ago, Jon johan said:

Are you of Klingon ancestry?

I'll answer when you clarify the type of steering system on your swivel chair. Wheel or Tiller?

PS - I think you might be confusing your sci-fi franchises.

Just now, Jon johan said:

Nothing immoral about that fella, whereas stealing someone else’s work and portraying it as your own ?

Which of course 'fella' you know I wasn't really doing.

Only a total and complete idiot would really believe that..................................... 

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

I thought the same ?

What worries me is clearly the spotters wernt looking at the license they were just looking at the hand held license checker which was telling porkies

The licence checker just records the boat number. the C&RT computer decides if its licenced or not and as we know computers never lie.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Which of course 'fella' you know I wasn't really doing.

Only a total and complete idiot would really believe that..................................... 

Don't bother with the fella.  He may live on a fat boat (though I doubt it, but it's a good story) but he's obviously got no experience of boating in the UK. At least, in accordance with the wishes of most of us on here, he's swivelling on it!

• Haha 2