Trying to identify fresh water inlet filter

Featured Posts

Hey there Canal World,

Wishing everyone a happy and safe Christmas.

In the off chance some somebody knows  here - I'm trying to identify the inlet (filter) attached to this Jabsco par-max 1.9 water pump.

It's not done yet, but I'm looking to find and purchase a spare, as soon as identify the brand name and model.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_6852.JPG

Do you mean 'fresh water filter' as in cooling water for the engine ?

It could be anything from a coffee tin with holes in it, to a mud-trap to a proper commercial inlet filter.

If you follow the pipe back until it gets to the hull you will find it.

Do you mean fresh water filter for the potable water ('drinking water') ?

If so the filter in your photo is probably the only filter in the system.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I think the Par-max 1.9 is a domestic water pump so the actual make of the strainer on the inlet matters little, you just need one

Jabsco probably sell them as would many chandlers. Make not important if it fits and that's the bit I have some concerns over from the photo. it seems to have a brass adaptor screwed onto the top end so the new one would need a suitable thread or hose tail onto which you can push and clip the hose I think I can see in the photo.

I've got a (removed) one in the garage somewhere but can't lay hands on it at the moment. Not sure why you would need a spare, they are so simple. Two halves bayonet fitted together with a ring of metal mesh between. When blocked, split, wash gauze (you did remember to keep some water back before you turned it of, didn't you?), reassemble and refit.  Seemples.

As others have said, you are probably better off buying to match the fittings you have rather than trying to match the filter exactly.

It isn't exactly a vital spare part. Having a spare water pump is more important. After 13 years my boat is now on water pump number 4, but still on the original filter. They dismantle to allow cleaning of the mesh, which has only been done once. There isn't anything really to break, or wear out. If on the off chance it broke, I'd just connect the filler pipe direct to the pump for a couple of days while waiting for a new filter to come through the post.

Jen

13 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

After 13 years my boat is now on water pump number 4

Which pump (or pumps) have you been using? After nearby 16 years on this boat I'm on pump number 2 which still appears to be going strong. The first was a Shurflo Aquaking which lasted 4 years, the current is a Jabsco Parmax 3. I do have a spare Parmax 3 onboard.

Edited by blackrose

It's an old (obsolete) Shurflo one. The newer Shurflo ones, whilst looking different are dimensionally identical where it matters and much better designed.

The one you have is held together by three plastic lugs, which go brittle with age and snap, causing the filter to quietly drain the contents of your water tank into the boat, so if it were mine I'd be changing it sooner rather than later, especially as it seems to be rigidly plumbed in which makes the lugs more likely to fail.

58 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Which pump (or pumps) have you been using? After nearby 16 years on this boat I'm on pump number 2 which still appears to be going strong. The first was a Shurflo Aquaking which lasted 4 years, the current is a Jabsco Parmax 3. I do have a spare Parmax 3 onboard.

The same. Shurflo's seem to last 4 years. Now on a Jabsco Parmax of some sort. Too early for me to see if it lasts longer.

I think most brands of domestic freshwater pump recommend a strainer is installed on the low pressure side of the system upstream of the pump to screen out any bits of rust or other detritus from the bottom of the tank that find their way into the outlet pipe. Even though the outlet fitting should be a few inches above the bottom of the tank, bits can still get into the system and the primary function of the strainer is to protect the pump head.

Strainers aren't compulsory but there's no downside apart from the purchase price.

Edited by blackrose

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

but there's no downside apart from the purchase price.

O there is, I know of at least 3 that have leaked, at worst as Rose said empty the tank into the boat, at best suck in air when the pump runs

Edited by ditchcrawler

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

O there is, I know of at least 3 that have leaked, at worst as Rose said empty the tank into the boat, at best suck in air when the pump runs

Well any joint in the low pressure side of the system can leak. That's not really an argument for not having a strainer, more of an argument for having a good quality strainer and decently made joints.

Freshwater domestic pumps are notorious for leaking too, there are countless stories of them leaking on this forum. However, the upsides of having a freshwater pump on a boat easily trump the downsides.

Anyway, as I said, strainers aren't compulsory so anyone who doesn't want one is perfectly free not to fit one.

Edited by blackrose

With a stainless steel, or a plastic tank you'd probably get away with no strainer. I'm not saying it is a good idea, but you could do it. Certainly the one time I opened up and cleaned the mesh in mine there was barely anything there. A few particles at most. If you have a painted steel tank, or if the hose pipe you use has a habit of shedding its lining, then it becomes more important.

Jen

46 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes, the bayonet fitting holding the two halves together failed on mine, dumping 250 L into the bilge. The better ones screw together.

If you do replace it, try to save the little blue clip on the old one as they are well fragile and cost more than you might think as spares.