Someones nicked the water...Stowehill Pound

matty40s

Featured Posts

Ruining a good cruise...woke up on this glorious morning to a text from Steve(Bassplayer, sends his regards), Stowehill pound dropped due to essential maintenance...

No time of end of works, no indication of works, so we are going to try and dig our way home.

20201230_104931.jpg

I would expect  it has sprung a leak, of such proportion that the level has to be got down before it does it itself.  Most probable places are Weedon or Bugbrooke embankments but there are others.  Another possibility is that one of the weirs has gone.  There are quite a few including Stowe Hill/Flore lane,  near Banbury lane and one near Heyford Fields marina IIRC.

The pound is about 10 miles long  so a lot of water to get rid of.

N

We reckon someone opened a sluice either top of the Northampton arm or somewhere in that stretch,  in the pre Christmas monsoon, and forgot to shut it post  Christmas. Up until yesterday, there was enough field runoff to keep the pound topped up. Then that stopped with the overnight freezes, and allowed the sluice to keep draining.

There was a considerable southwards flow at 3am this morning when I looked out of the side hatch to  bark at the moon......and now, the level seems to be slowly coming back up.

No visible issues or CRT staff between Gayton and Weedon.

Should be OK for your cruise Bob

Edited by matty40s

Towpath tin can piece of string says that a small breach is happening. There has been a section of towpath missing forma while just past the old railway bridge South of Blisworth marina. It has been orange netted off for ages. Apparently, this may well have now gone completely through to the field.

Screenshot_20201230-173952_Maps.jpg

Edited by matty40s

IIRC they had a planned closure for repairs to a sluice just south of the Buckby flight around 11th Jan. It was then cancelled as they had found a way to work around it. I do hope this is not the way around it as it has effectively closed the pound and they have done it early. 

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Should be OK for your cruise Bob

Well Boris has put the spanner in the works on that now!!

1 hour ago, MHS said:

IiRC they had a planned closure for repairs to a sluice just south of the Buckby flight around 11th Jan. It was then cancelled as they had found a way to work around it. I do hope this is not the way around it as it has effectively closed the pound and they have done it early. 

I think you could well be right. If I remember right, it was works on the weir just south of Stowe Hill. Seems strange CRT have not detailed what or where the maintenance issue is.

10 hours ago, Big Bob W said:

Well Boris has put the spanner in the works on that now!!

I think you could well be right. If I remember right, it was works on the weir just south of Stowe Hill. Seems strange CRT have not detailed what or where the maintenance issue is.

All that's happened to that one is the black and white railing has collapsed several months ago, and the small raising level planks for each sluice have been carefully placed on top of the sluice slides.

As reported, it was the severe towpath deterioration just past Blisworth.....not a breach, just most of the towpath being eroded innone spot(where the orange fencing has been for some time).

New protection planks and infill of cemet and gravel going in. With a wider length being protected with black netting/post supported.

Looks like one CRT chap and 2 volunteers with a small dinghy. 

Hardly the need to lock Buckby and Stoke Bruerne flights and stop navigation.

20201231_141036.jpg

• Greenie 2