Central Cockpit CC Engine (electric?)

RodChapman

Featured Posts

Recently acquired an early 80s Grp central cockpit Cabin cruiser. Had some trouble starting the engine the other day, probably due to the cold but it got me wondering, when/if it gives up the ghost what would be a good alternative. Currently it is a 15BHP Yanmar 2GM which from what I've seen is pretty old (any ideas how old roughly?) is 15BHP about right for this size and weight craft or is it a bit overkill? Ideally my next move would be to look in to electrifying the motor either directly or as part of a hybrid diesel system, I'm assuming as it is Grp and much lighter than a trad NB it would require less power to propel? What kind of engine size should I be looking into? Cheers 

It shouldn't have been too difficult to start, check all your glow (heater) plugs are working, how long did you give the heater plugs, id have thought 20 seconds of heat in these temps and engine should start easily... Also, are your starting batteries up to it, if it doesn't turn over fast enough it will be a bugger to start...

If you do decide to do a re power, it will be a lot of work and expensive, great project but is the boat worth it?

Edited by Quattrodave

1 hour ago, Quattrodave said:

It shouldn't have been too difficult to start, check all your glow (heater) plugs are working, how long did you give the heater plugs, id have thought 20 seconds of heat in these temps and engine should start easily... Also, are your starting batteries up to it, if it doesn't turn over fast enough it will be a bugger to start...

If you do decide to do a re power, it will be a lot of work and expensive, great project but is the boat worth it?

Do Yanmars use glowplugs? I got the impression most are direct injection.

We don't know the length of your boat so it's difficult to make any comment about the adequacy.

The power requirement is more about fighting a strong current if you find yourself in difficulties on a river or with a strong wind on any waterway.  Weight is almost irrelevant - windage (area exposed to the wind) is far more important.   My 10hp Yanmar 1GM10 was fine for a 21ft traditional GRP launch (Frolic 21).   Of course we have no way of knowing if the prop has been sized correctly for the normal duty.

Bearing in mind the likely number of hours you will tot up with the engine, it is unlikely that a Yanmar will 'give up the ghost' if correctly maintained.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Do Yanmars use glowplugs? I got the impression most are direct injection.

Yep, no glowplugs, had a hard time this morning until I turned the compression lever as per the manual and it worked first time. 

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

We don't know the length of your boat so it's difficult to make any comment about the adequacy.

The power requirement is more about fighting a strong current if you find yourself in difficulties on a river or with a strong wind on any waterway.  Weight is almost irrelevant - windage (area exposed to the wind) is far more important.   My 10hp Yanmar 1GM10 was fine for a 21ft traditional GRP launch (Frolic 21).   Of course we have no way of knowing if the prop has been sized correctly for the normal duty.

Bearing in mind the likely number of hours you will tot up with the engine, it is unlikely that a Yanmar will 'give up the ghost' if correctly maintained.

30ft, not sure about her air draft, I'm planning on putting a wooden wheelhouse on her to replace the grotty canvas. 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

https://everythingaboutboats.org/yanmar/ suggests the 2GM was produced 1980-83 and the 2GM20 from 1983-2005.

So compared with some of the BMCs and Lister SRs still doing service in narrowboats it's a youngster!

That's encouraging, engines aren't my forte so that's good to hear