Home location painted on boat

stort_mark

Featured Posts

53 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

As it happens, Tier 2 disappeared this afternoon, so the 2 now needs to be changed to a 3! 

At least we're not on the Isle of Wight - Tier 1 to Tier 4 in double quick time. You'd think a moat would help, wouldn't you?

Not with all the second home owners and DFLs bringing the virus down here for Christmas.

:angry:

39 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

They should have sunk the ferry when they had the chance. Too late now. ?

And to think there are some pillocks living here who want a fixed link!

:angry:

Lysander had 'Hest Bank' as the home location when we bought it. We also got a lot of "Ooh, you've come a long way!" so since it was simply vinyl lettering I was able to strip it off. When we had the boat repainted and signwritten, my other half wanted Lady Capel's Wharf on it so that's what we have. She balances out Lord Vernon a little...

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Lysander had 'Hest Bank' as the home location when we bought it. We also got a lot of "Ooh, you've come a long way!" so since it was simply vinyl lettering I was able to strip it off. When we had the boat repainted and signwritten, my other half wanted Lady Capel's Wharf on it so that's what we have. She balances out Lord Vernon a little...

Lord Botham's Bottom Lock....?

3 hours ago, twbm said:

Be fair, almost everything except coloured sand has to come across from the mainland.   

Yeahbut..........

..............we can do without infection brought down from London by DFLs and their like.

:angry::angry::angry:

ETA Mebion Glyndwr had the right idea IMHO.

Edited by Victor Vectis

• 4 months later...

I finally decided that there were enough unusual and improbable home locations that I decided to press ahead with painting 'Stranraer' below the name 'Cypress' as a tribute to my late father's hometown. Given the move of the ferries to Cairnryan in 2011, I think NB Cypress is now the third-biggest vessel registered in Stranraer after two 110,000GRT Stena LNG tankers. Mine is the only one that can get round Sutton Stop in one swing.

Edited by stort_mark
  • Greenie 1

My first boat was had Glasgow  on it , which was down to to its  first owner .

One bright spark thought I had travelled  a long way to get to Hull. 

My present boat is silent on the subject.

I believe any UK port may be used for the SSR  regardless of whether the boat has been there . 

When we repainted Alnwick more than fifteen years ago we were on a waiting list for a mooring at Fenny Compton so we had that painted on the boat by our signwriter - we never did get to the top of that waiting list and when we were offered a mooring in Cropredy in 2007 we grabbed it with both hands! We never changed it because 'Fenny Compton' on the cabin sides looks nice. When we get our repaint next year we may have to think again!

DJHJane Cropwell 2Lock.jpg

• Greenie 1

When we first purchased our boat she was called "Frogmoore III" with "Rickmansworth" below.

On arriving in the vicinity of Leighton Buzzard we had several comments along the lines of "Do you live in Rickmansworth?"

Or did we know a passer by's great aunt who lived in Rickmansworth?

After explaining to several folks neither the boat of us had anything to do with Rickmansworth I got the black insulation tape out.

Later when passing a fisherman he said "What's Rickmansworth done to you?

DSCF2226.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Haha 2

My own boat has Poole Harbour registered as home port on the SSR. And had the Dorset and Somerset Canal been finshed. Poole Harbour would have been linked to the canal system at Bradford on Avon. The boat was moored on the River Frome while it was being fitted out. I did take it out into the harbour passed the Marine Base and round into Holes bay to collect the larger items. One time, someone called out the RNLI when they saw me heading out into the harbour from the Quayside.