Home location painted on boat

stort_mark

Featured Posts

Registered from Tamworth, perhaps? I’m in a cleft stick with this one. At Norton Canes we used to use the build number for the registered panel, hence my old boat was 1073, the 73rd Norton Canes build. We put the index number in a centered panel above the engine room, often with a BWB prefix and the original wave logo, the only sensible one to me. Yes , all balls in the modern world, but what the hell....Tradition enticed me in the 60s, still does....

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

I moved all over for the first 10.years with Braunston under the name as the previous owners had a mooring there and it was painted there.

I often got asked if that was where I moored, or "you've come a long way"....

After my repaint of the sides 2years ago, changed it to Stowe Hill, just because...

I give any person a boiled sweet who is the first of any day to ask if I am from "Windermere". And a smile of course. The previous bote owner hailed from Windermere, the landlocked big pond somewhere ooop norf.

Edited by mark99

17 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

We had a shared boat for several years with 'Stockton' as place of origin.  Of course 99% of people thought it was from the much less interesting Stockton on Tees.

Stockton on tees is more interesting then Stocton on the Gu. It does not have a tidal barrier with a canoe slalom course for one.

9 hours ago, dave moore said:

Sometimes the location refers to where the boat was built. I’ve written Norton Canes on many boats from that yard and fellow writer Andy Russell has added Lord Vernons Wharf to many Braidbar craft. One couple asked me to add Black Delph as the bottom line, the boat was built nearby. One owner was a Hitchhiker fan, the boat called Fenchurch and No 42 in the engine room panel. Often the place name refers to the mooring location or owners home town or county. It certainly is a useful feature to balance up lettering in an arc higher up the panel. “ If it looks right, it is right “ was the first piece of advice from my signwriting training many years ago.

And you wrote "Bottom Lock Braunston" on our boat, Dave, which is where it was built, and the number "20" you wrote was the build number.

460211113_EXT016(2).JPG.229f4191b1f5aff6b2e4e5df69723a33.JPG

Edited by David Schweizer

I had my lost wallet returned to me because of having my home mooring location on my boat. We'd made the short trip by boat for a meal at a pub about 5 miles from the marina. It was nice weather so we sat outside, and unbeknown to me my wallet had fallen out of my back pocket. The first I knew of this was when our marina office phoned me.

A waitress at the pub had found the wallet and remembered seeing our boat moored there. and that it was local, so she'd had the presence of mind to phone the marina, I popped back there to thank her and to give her a suitable reward.

• Greenie 3

One of our customers had booked a mooring at Pilling lock marina and thought they would have that painted on. I suggested they went with River Soar instead, because,  well, just because...

They were glad they changed their minds as it turned out after a certain day.

Be savvy in your choice of place names.

• Greenie 1

On 29/12/2020 at 13:44, Sea Dog said:

I was considering having "Tier 2" written on mine, but I'm not sure if any signwriters are allowed out to play...

... although at this rate it may soon be classed as "essential work" I suppose!

;)

Maybe get a magnetic one made up so the tier level can be easily changed (even on a weekly basis) if the need arises.

8 minutes ago, Ally said:

One of our customers had booked a mooring at Pilling lock marina and thought they would have that painted on. I suggested they went with River Soar instead, because,  well, just because...

They were glad they changed their minds as it turned out after a certain day.

Be savvy in your choice of place names.

I thought you were going to say the painter made an abbreviation and wrote :

Pillock Marina

• Haha 2

My Mum and Dad's boat had Driffield on the side of it. Lots of people mentioned they were stationed there during the war, but few locals. While based on the Driffield Navigation, the first time it actually managed to get to Driffield was when it was craned for the opening of Town Lock:

https://youtu.be/zqpLFL__688

image.png.cf3c76f64f8a10be15504241764ae6e9.png

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe get a magnetic one made up so the tier level can be easily changed (even on a weekly basis) if the need arises.

As it happens, Tier 2 disappeared this afternoon, so the 2 now needs to be changed to a 3! 

At least we're not on the Isle of Wight - Tier 1 to Tier 4 in double quick time. You'd think a moat would help, wouldn't you?

There was a new built boat in France with Melton Mowbray as its port of registry. I asked him if he had any pies. We had London on ours as I thought it had to be a proper port when registered as a British ship. It made for a good opening with the locals who asked if we had brought it over.

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

As it happens, Tier 2 disappeared this afternoon, so the 2 now needs to be changed to a 3! 

At least we're not on the Isle of Wight - Tier 1 to Tier 4 in double quick time. You'd think a moat would help, wouldn't you?

Get "Tier" painted on and either a square of blackboard paint and a stick of chalk or vinyl stickers for the numbers :D

The IoW was OK until the government gave Londoners advanced warning of Tier 4 and didn't close the borders!  It's not the moat that was the problem ...

A registered at a location is sometimes handy to help identify the builder of a boat. As previously mentioned by Dave Moore the Norton Canes boats often have Norton Canes on them. The Braidbar boats have Lord Vernons Wharf or Poynton on. Etc Etc

• Greenie 1