Lock / Waterway Identification

IanM

Featured Posts

While going through boxes of Becky's father's old slides we have in the loft, there are a couple showing a lock and I was just curious where it might be.  I think pictures were taken in the early 1970s.

The family have connections with Guildford but were living in North Essex at the time.  I've tried looking at Google maps for both the River Wey and the Chelmer & Blackwater and nothing seems to fit but obviously a lot of years have passed since the pictures were taken.

Nowhere is really out of the question however, as that red Austin travelled all over the country!

Box02_017Mod.jpg.0713ceaf5cdd6e141e15d75b09e56ffd.jpg

Box02_016Mod.jpg

Box02_018Mod.jpg

Edited by IanM

25 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

River Lee Navigation I think, not sure which lock

One distinctive feature is the sharp right bend above the lock. I cannot find any like that on Lee or Lea. There are two on the Stort and more possible is Sawbridge. However, the photo seems to show the top paddle facing the canal rather than at right angles to it and as far as I can see, none of the Lee and Stort are like that. But I am only going by my own photos - other libraries may help.

5 hours ago, IanM said:

While going through boxes of Becky's father's old slides we have in the loft, there are a couple showing a lock and I was just curious where it might be.  I think pictures were taken in the early 1970s.

The family have connections with Guildford but were living in North Essex at the time.  I've tried looking at Google maps for both the River Wey and the Chelmer & Blackwater and nothing seems to fit but obviously a lot of years have passed since the pictures were taken.

Nowhere is really out of the question however, as that red Austin travelled all over the country!

HA, my first car but in white and without the wooden trim, which unlike the morris minor wasnt part of the vehicle structure.

11 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Looks like Hunsdon Mill Lock on the Stort to me

Normally I'd bow to your knowledge but there are a lot of differences which might, but only might, be accounted for by the intervening years!

11 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

One distinctive feature is the sharp right bend above the lock. 

Is it a sharp bend or is it a parting of the waters?

I concluded Lee (or perhaps Stort) on the style of the gates and paddle gear - I've walked bits of both but I'm not that familiar with them so I will now bow out :)