Heathrow to Napton Junction

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

As I see it there's no contest. Pre arranged taxi @ £130 approx. Say £150. No hassle, rush , missed connections, transfers etc etc. I imagine the additional cost over public transport is miniscule against overall cost of journey from NZ ?

I live just outside London, have travelled from home to Napton by public transport and had many years experience of commuting into London Yak!!. 

17 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

To be honest I would be tempted to book a taxi from Heathrow to Napton, maybe a few quid more but well worth the convenience

Tim

We once did that from Gatwick when there were major rail works - never again. The traffic was horrific, we spent most of the time creeping forward at what felt like 1 mile/h on the M25 (?), and that was a Saturday! Might have been because of the rail works, though. But I'll think we'll stick to trains in the future, and a taxi from the last station. ?

I would go Heathrow Express to Victoria, tube to Euston (Victoria Line), train to Rugby, and taxi from Rugby. 

38 minutes ago, Sally Grim said:

We once did that from Gatwick when there were major rail works - never again. The traffic was horrific, we spent most of the time creeping forward at what felt like 1 mile/h on the M25 (?), and that was a Saturday! Might have been because of the rail works, though. But I'll think we'll stick to trains in the future, and a taxi from the last station. ?

I would go Heathrow Express to Victoria, tube to Euston (Victoria Line), train to Rugby, and taxi from Rugby. 

I think Heathrow express goes to Paddington and its steps down to the tube "ticket" hall

Reading trains at same level and fast ones not too far from the HE platform.

Edited by Tony Brooks

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think Heathrow express goes to Paddington and its steps down to the tube "ticket" hall

Reading trains at same level and fast ones not too far from the HE platform.

Blimey - you're totally right, Tony, and Cheese too! My sincere apologies to everyone. 

We fly in to either Heathrow, Gatwick, or Stanstead depending on what is cheapest, so that's why I got momentarily confused. That - and not having been able to travel and go boating since summer. But I have great hopes for next year!

18 hours ago, alias said:

Having looked at the Napton Narrowboats website, they offer to arrange a taxi from Heathrow for around £130. 

That looks to be a good idea, especially if there's more than one of you. I just checked "Trainline" and tickets from Heathrow to Reading are over £47 per person. And that's only part of the way. Then you have to get from Reading to Napton

Edited by monkeyhanger
Added info.

1 hour ago, monkeyhanger said:

That looks to be a good idea, especially if there's more than one of you. I just checked "Trainline" and tickets from Heathrow to Reading are over £47 per person. And that's only part of the way. Then you have to get from Reading to Napton

FWIW - West Drayton to Banbury £25.60 off peak. One change in Reading. Probably taxi to West Drayton. Both stations in the old Network South East so staying "in area" makes the tickets cheaper. If going to Leamington Spa the price jumps up and its often cheaper to buy split tickets. West Drayton to Banbury and Banbury to Leamington Spa or Rugby and stay on the train.

21 hours ago, BEngo said:

Alternatively hire a motor at the airport and it is about a 2 hour  run up the M40 . Traffic permitting.   Enterprise will probably do a pick up (and a return drop off for the after holiday trip) to your hire base.

N

Enterprise at Rugby are a bit awkward if asked to do a pickup.

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

FWIW - West Drayton to Banbury £25.60 off peak. One change in Reading. Probably taxi to West Drayton. Both stations in the old Network South East so staying "in area" makes the tickets cheaper. If going to Leamington Spa the price jumps up and its often cheaper to buy split tickets. West Drayton to Banbury and Banbury to Leamington Spa or Rugby and stay on the train.

Feltham to Leamington £41.50 off peak, given you would need a at taxi both ends as well, and assuming 2 people, a taxi from Heathrow to the marina for £130 has to be the way to go, and will probably be the quickest as well.

9 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

We use a company called pink berry car cars.

6 trips they havent failed yrt.

Book them from Victoria on line to come to Uk, book them from boat to get back to Australis.

Not this year though still stuck here in Uk.

???❄️❄️??

Thanks Roland, no contest the best door to door option and I found £111 was the cheapest. For convenience cant beat it. Thanks to all other posters for their suggestions. It'll be private charter,  if and when we again get to travel.  

37 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

I thought the OPwas hiring from Napton Narrowboats at Autherly Junction, which is nowhere near Napton

Napton Marina is quite close though (their other base)

But the OP didn't say they were hiring from Napton Narrowboats anyway - they asked how best to get to Napton Junction.

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Napton Marina is quite close though (their other base)

But the OP didn't say they were hiring from Napton Narrowboats anyway - they asked how best to get to Napton Junction.

If they had of asked what is the best way to Napton Junction from Heathrow. The answer is get on the Grand Union at Bulls Bridge and follow gu to Napton

4 minutes ago, Tonka said:

If they had of asked what is the best way to Napton Junction from Heathrow. The answer is get on the Grand Union at Bulls Bridge and follow gu to Napton

That's a long walk carrying your luggage though - I don't think I could do it from a morning arrival on a plane in time to pick a boat up at 3pm.

On 29/12/2020 at 14:10, Sally Grim said:

Gatwick to Napton and Heathrow to Napton are totally different. I doubt that any taxi driver would touch the M25. ..

24 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's a long walk carrying your luggage though - I don't think I could do it from a morning arrival on a plane in time to pick a boat up at 3pm.

that is because he did not ask for the best way but the quickest way.

• Greenie 1

it has always annoyed me that airline and travel websites assume yo know the country you are flying to. You should be able to put Napton in as a destination and then the website would offer you the nearest airport to that destination.

I am sure that this would suit more people

59 minutes ago, Tonka said:

it has always annoyed me that airline and travel websites assume yo know the country you are flying to. You should be able to put Napton in as a destination and then the website would offer you the nearest airport to that destination.

I am sure that this would suit more people

Like this? 

image.png.fdbae40127ed05df4734c5144c0eaa29.png