Heathrow to Napton Junction

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

I guess this is outside of the general brief but is it feasible to arrive mid morning at heathrow and get to Napton for a 3 pm hire departure ? Dont think there is a direct train and need to get into central London then a train to Rugby ? Seems there are multiple modes of transport required. Does anyone have any ideas ?  Thanks 

There are only trains from LHR to London. There are (were?) buses to Reading and Woking stations  but they are no use.

Try LHR to Paddington by Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect (cheaper but slower), if either are running in covid times.  Avoid the Picadiily Line like the plague.  It takes ages.

Then Tube to Marylebone and a Chiltern train to Warwick or Leamington Spa  followed by a cab.  Or tube Paddington to Euston Sq followed by a Virgin or London Midland train Euston  to Rugby, or London Midland Euston  to Long Buckby,   then a cab.  No idea what the timetables look like these days, but in normal times you would need about 4 hours LHR to Rugby or Warwick, less if it all timed perfectly.

Alternatively hire a motor at the airport and it is about a 2 hour  run up the M40 . Traffic permitting.   Enterprise will probably do a pick up (and a return drop off for the after holiday trip) to your hire base.

N

Edited by BEngo

17 minutes ago, pomkitanner said:

I guess this is outside of the general brief but is it feasible to arrive mid morning at heathrow and get to Napton for a 3 pm hire departure ? Dont think there is a direct train and need to get into central London then a train to Rugby ? Seems there are multiple modes of transport required. Does anyone have any ideas ?  Thanks 

There is (or was until recently) a "Rail Air" coach from Heathrow to Reading, and direct trains from there to Leamington after which a (pre-booked) taxi would seem the best option. That's probably around 3 to 4 hours travel.  

Bus to West Drayton station and stopping train to Reading

Or coach direct to Reading station.

Virgin train from Reading to Leamington spa and taxi to Napton

Or

GWR train to Banbury and taxi to Napton.

There is a bus from Leamington Spa but its a walk to Napton Narrowboats and an even longer one to Calcutt so a tacxi is better with luggage.

@BEngo's route may well be faster but I try to avoid travelling in London

I would say that the suggestion of going via Reading to Leamington and then taxi to the marina, is a better option then going into central London to Rugby.

As you will be tired after the flight, don’t be put off in getting taxis, when there is more than one person it is not going to be that much more expensive than a bus, and compared when you have paid for the air fare and boat hire, not significant!

Mid-morning...10am?

Leaving LHR at 11am, arriving at Euston 12.30.

Trains to Rugby leave at **46 and **23 past the hour and take less than one hour to arrive.

If you got the 13:23 and arrive at Rugby at 14:15 you could get a cab to Napton by 15:00 easily.

Taxi based in Dunchurch (book previously): (pm me if you want the number as I probably shouldn't post it here).

Edited by eid

In pre-Covid times, the easiest way to get from Heathrow to south and mid- Warwickshire by public transport was by the National Express direct coach service 210 from Heathrow to Banbury or Warwick Parkway Railway Station.

I believe that service isn't running at the moment, but it is likely that it will be reinstated when Covid restrictions are lifted. 

The service is approximately every two hours. The journey time is about 1 and a half hours to Banbury or two hours to Warwick.

Then get a taxi from either stop to Napton (about 30 mins journey )

So, yes it is easy with the times you've suggested, and this is the way I'd recommend you get there.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I would say that the suggestion of going via Reading to Leamington and then taxi to the marina, is a better option then going into central London to Rugby.

As you will be tired after the flight, don’t be put off in getting taxis, when there is more than one person it is not going to be that much more expensive than a bus, and compared when you have paid for the air fare and boat hire, not significant!

absolutely agree. no desire to use a bus 

1 hour ago, pomkitanner said:

To be honest I would be tempted to book a taxi from Heathrow to Napton, maybe a few quid more but well worth the convenience

Tim

17 minutes ago, Ray T said:

As a matter of interest Virgin have lost the franchise for the West Coast Route it is now Avanti.

Avanti starts running West Coast Main Line after Virgin franchise ends - BBC News

Avanti West Coast | Buy Train Tickets | No Booking Fee

I think I said Virgin but its actually Cross Country from Reading.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Bus to West Drayton station and stopping train to Reading

Or coach direct to Reading station.

Virgin train from Reading to Leamington spa and taxi to Napton

Or

GWR train to Banbury and taxi to Napton.

There is a bus from Leamington Spa but its a walk to Napton Narrowboats and an even longer one to Calcutt so a tacxi is better with luggage.

@BEngo's route may well be faster but I try to avoid travelling in London

I was unaware there are trains from Reading to Leamington Spa. very much better than going into the city me thinks .  A quick google suggests there is a one stop route direct from terminal 3 . Taxi from either Leamington Spa or Rugby i think would be little different . Thanks for the idea . 

43 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

To be honest I would be tempted to book a taxi from Heathrow to Napton, maybe a few quid more but well worth the convenience

Tim

Having looked at the Napton Narrowboats website, they offer to arrange a taxi from Heathrow for around £130. 

56 minutes ago, pomkitanner said:

I was unaware there are trains from Reading to Leamington Spa. very much better than going into the city me thinks .  A quick google suggests there is a one stop route direct from terminal 3 . Taxi from either Leamington Spa or Rugby i think would be little different . Thanks for the idea . 

Yes there are, back in the old days (2019] when you could actually do stuff, I have gone Leamington to Reading and then Reading to Twickenham when going to the rugby.  You could even get a taxi from Heathrow to say Feltham and get the train to Reading from there.  For me avoiding central London is the way to go unless you want to actually go there.

1 hour ago, pomkitanner said:

Many cross country trains from Reading stop at both Banbury and Leamington spa and he taxi fair from either to Napton was (2019) was about the same so Banbury saves a little money. Banbury has the advantage if you are picking up a hire boat is that Morrisons supermarket is within walking distnce of the station so you can arrange a taxi at the station to pick you and groceries up from the supermarket in half an hour or so.