Jump to content

Anyone Navigated the Sussex River Rother?


mark99

Featured Posts

This will be the eastern Rother that empties into the sea at Rye. Looks like it connects with the Royal Military Canal (which appears no boats allowed on  being a defensive ditch). The cursory google search seems to think modest boats can get as far as Bodium Castle on Rother. There seems quite a few GRPs moored on there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Small craft only up to Bodiam. This is the Google Streetview view from the road bridge.

 

Main Rd https://maps.app.goo.gl/K2CQWxAukAfWjXgYA

 

A bit more promising at Newenden.

Station Rd https://maps.app.goo.gl/yTuMpxPcj6KFDiJPA

 

See also http://www.canoedaysout.com/trip/879s

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

This will be the eastern Rother that empties into the sea at Rye. Looks like it connects with the Royal Military Canal (which appears no boats allowed on  being a defensive ditch). The cursory google search seems to think modest boats can get as far as Bodium Castle on Rother. There seems quite a few GRPs moored on there.

Disgraceful you even considering it, not only is it in Tier4, so are you, even untieing your lines might give someone in wales Covid.?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mark99 said:

 the Royal Military Canal (which appears no boats allowed on  being a defensive ditch

Given the threat of a Napoleonic invasion is now somewhat diminished due to Napoleon being dead for 200 years and all, you'd have thought they'd have relaxed that rule a bit by now

 

I didn't spot a single boat along its length on Google maps.  But looks like a pretty cruise along its 28 miles.  There is a canoe club building on the Hythe end, but I think it's for the ocean.

Edited by bagginz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's an interesting river. No registration required, it is non tidal above the Scots float radial gates which are apparently operated by the EA if you give 24hr notice. 

 

I wonder if it is a PRN waterway and whether it gets dredged. There are a few cruisers around but nothing particularly large. 

 

Couple of mooring plots for sale close to the Rye end by the (now disused) lock to the military canal. 

 

Intriguing place which is quite difficult to get to in a canal boat. 

Edited by magnetman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

About ten years ago I took a boat up the river to Bodiam. There were a number of small grp boats moored just downstream of Newenden Bridge. I believe the national trailboat rally has been to Bodiam.

 

The river is navigable downstream to Rye - Scots Float sluice used to be a picturesque historic structure but it is now all concrete and steel - it does however incorporate a lock chamber, I guess passage had to be arranged with the EA, can't remember. 

 

The Royal Military canal is no longer navigable, trade ceased about 100 years ago, pre- COVID there were rowing boats at the Hythe end.

 

In Rye there is a junction with the river Brede which is navigable for a mile or so, but seldom navigated. There are a few small boats based on it. I believe access via the sluice can be arranged on the level of the tide but I don't know who with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bagginz said:

Given the threat of a Napoleonic invasion is now somewhat diminished due to Napoleon being dead for 200 years and all, you'd have thought they'd have relaxed that rule a bit by now

Napoleon was a great tactician. Being dead for 200 years is just the sort of trick he would pull to lull perfidious Albion in to a false sense of security. Eternal vigilance! Dredge the Royal Military Canal at once!

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

Disgraceful you even considering it, not only is it in Tier4, so are you, even untieing your lines might give someone in wales Covid.?

 

:)

 

You can see how I spend my evenings!  Not a telly man. Dreaming of getting back on board one day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mondo said:

Hi folks I’ve joined the forum to add to this thread. With regards to the military canal it runs from Hythe yes where you can rent a rowing boat for the day or use your own. It continues to the junction with the Rother at Iden which comes under the road bridge and turns 90deg which would look like a continuation of the canal.

A gate separates the two which is only used to control flood waters emptying the river into it or vice versa. My boat is an 18ft with outboard which can navigate the river from Rye to Bodium, any further only possible in canoes and the like.

environment agency do manage the lock through to the tidal section (useable for free) 

Thanks Mondo.

 

How low are the bridges?

 

ie how much "air draft" do you need at summer levels to get under bridges?

 

A good excuse to put up an image of your boat.   :)

 

 

Edited by mark99
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mark99 said:

Thanks Mondo.

 

How low are the bridges?

 

ie how much "air draft" do you need at summer levels to get under bridges?

 

A good excuse to put up an image of your boat.   :)

 

 

Mmm, I know my boat fits under them all easily with the hood down, of the Six from the lock the lowest would be the old stone bridge at Newenden (Bodium boating station)  but generally I struggle to touch the others so I’ll guess at 8 feet plus(please don’t quote me on that.)  

photo was taken yesterday of the swollen river mines the blue Shetland.

bridge from the summertime 

3C32A891-72D0-465B-9354-90CB9FAC54E1.jpeg

0043EE9D-2ADC-47DA-93FC-EB76F21FE978.jpeg

Edited by Mondo
  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, mark99 said:

 

How low are the bridges?

From Wikipedia:

"The Rother Levels Acts were two Acts of Parliament which were obtained in 1826 and 1830. The Commissioners of the Rother Levels were obliged by the acts to ensure that navigation between Scots Float and Bodiam Bridge was possible, and that all bridges provided at least 5 feet (1.5 m) of headroom. They also enshrined the principle that it was a free river, and no tolls were to be collected for its use. "

 

It's still free to use, but I don't know whether there is still at least 5ft headroom.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

L2268_20150216_0012.JPG.8ba47e52dacbd6c5d0ef0aee3178698e.JPG

 

From 2015 Scots Float Sluice. Tuesday Night Club account (2001)  here   More photos here

 

L2269_20150216_0006a.jpg.dfceb5a9d7d77ed9c168a6494b138f7e.jpg

 

Iden Lock Royal Military Canal and junction below (below) More pictures here

 

L2269_20150216_0005s.jpg.678f7c9190417cdfcf25f6601168b4ed.jpg

 

Rye

spacer.png

 

and the Tidal Lock River Tillingham More pictures here

 

spacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
extra photolink
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

From Wikipedia:

"The Rother Levels Acts were two Acts of Parliament which were obtained in 1826 and 1830. The Commissioners of the Rother Levels were obliged by the acts to ensure that navigation between Scots Float and Bodiam Bridge was possible, and that all bridges provided at least 5 feet (1.5 m) of headroom. They also enshrined the principle that it was a free river, and no tolls were to be collected for its use. "

 

It's still free to use, but I don't know whether there is still at least 5ft headroom.

I’m six feet and never whacked my head so guess there still is

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We came down from Lancashire for the 2013 Trailboat festival and enjoyed our time on the River, our boat is 6 foot 6inch air draught and I don't remember any tight bridges. The castle was great to visit and a lovely Steam train ride to Tenterden on the Kent and East Sussex Railway though how all thats effected at the moment I don't know, I seem to remember that we launched on a Slipway just outside Rye..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.