1 garlic clove, chopped

1/8 tsp chilli powder

1 red onion - chopped

100g chorizo - chopped

1 tsp mild curry powder

1lt stock made from veg stock cube

Lg sweet potato - chopped

salt and pepper

You will also need a stick blender or similar.

1               In a large saucepan and on a low heat add the first 7 ingredients and fry gently for 10 - 15 minutes to cook.

2               Then add the sweet potato, enough stock to just cover vegetables, salt and pepper and simmer for a further 15 minutes until cooked.

3               Blend everything, then serve. We like to add a dollop of soured cream first

The vegetables only need to be roughly chopped as they will be blended, but may need cooking for longer

We do not like our soup too spicy, but you could use any curry powder, chilli or chorizo to your taste.

• Greenie 3

made this today, very tasty but i feel it was let down by the chorizo i could get hold of from Asda (no picante left), but i curbed the spices due to daughter (fussy teen) so 1/2 tsp chilli and 1/2 tsp mild curry. turned out she didn’t like the “texture” anyway ?

myself and the wife enjoyed it though, will make again ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

My missus has got a lovely recipe for chicken & chorizo soup that she teased out of the chef at the Knott Bar in Manchester quite a few years ago, when it had excellent food and wasn't as packed/noisy/trendy as it is now. If anyone's interested I'll ask her, it's pretty simple and fantastic with some crusty bread -- preferably home-made sourdough, obviously... ?