Mysterious noise

XLD

Featured Posts

Whilst aboard my friend’s 80 plus year old barge last week we heard a sound as if someone had thrown a decent sized stone against the hull/cabin. There was absolutely no one around and no visible damage anywhere. Maybe a rivet snapping due to rusting plates???

Only had the boat a short time, and have had a kamikaze duck who flew straight into a barbed wire fence. I was like a hero, holding it steady as I took the wire from it's neck. Got it off and it was fine and just waddled off with its partner (who was quacking at me throughout). After that they called all the time. They used to knock on the roof at all times. Don't know if they were angry, or just mithering for food?

I remember as an apprentice driving our A35 van through Acle, suddenly there was a load bang, I pulled over and there was a tennis ball bouncing in the road. I had just passed the tennis courts and a ball must have come over the fence just as I was passing.

9 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

Just wondering what time of day it was, early evening just as the temperature is dropping? I'm thinking something moving due to expansion or contraction...?

If that was the case you'd expect to hear it more than once? Mintball has one part of the roof that flexes at a certain temperature - it's been doing it since she was built back in 1986.

19 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

Just wondering what time of day it was, early evening just as the temperature is dropping? I'm thinking something moving due to expansion or contraction...?

Ya I'd agree.

i had a brass bolt break off during summer from a port hole window. Just popped one day 

On 26/12/2020 at 20:23, ditchcrawler said:

I remember as an apprentice driving our A35 van through Acle, suddenly there was a load bang, I pulled over and there was a tennis ball bouncing in the road. I had just passed the tennis courts and a ball must have come over the fence just as I was passing.

The company van is still an A35 here and in use every day.

There used to be a loud thud from Innisfree in the late afternoon in warm weather, at first I thought a boat had hit us, when I once happened to have my head resting against the lining ply I realised it was a metal plate contracting. 

ETA: Don't worry I'm ok. 

Edited by nb Innisfree
  • Greenie 1

Many years ago in a different life,I was flying with a friend in a wood and fabric aeroplane ( a Jodel ) and on short final approach to Hucknall airfield ( Near Nottingham) over a golf course,there was a bang and a shudder from the aeroplane.

On landing a rip and hole was found in the rudder and a golf ball inside.

It was duly reported to the Civil Aviation Authority and was noted with the comment that depending on which side the ball hit it may have had right of way!

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

There used to be a loud thud from Innisfree in the late afternoon in warm weather, at first I thought a boat had hit us, when I once happened to have my head resting against the lining ply I realised it was a metal plate contracting. 

ETA: Don't worry I'm ok. 

Hi, hope you are OK? Did you have the operation at Odstock ? can they make adjustments to the metal plate you do you have to live with it now

Another Salisbury resident !

8 minutes ago, Boatingbiker said:

Hi, hope you are OK? Did you have the operation at Odstock ? can they make adjustments to the metal plate you do you have to live with it now

Another Salisbury resident !

It did actually jolt my head quite a bit! 

I live a few miles from Salisbury, absolutely love the place, on approaching its nice to see there's no high rise buildings and the cathedral standing unchallenged. 

• Greenie 1