Replacement flue/cap for Alde boiler

Ewan123

Featured Posts

We have an Alde Comfort 2928 and need to replace the flue cap, but I'm struggling to find much for sale. I'm also not sure whether we'd get away with just a replacement cap or need a whole new external flue (it looks like bits snapped off under previous ownership).

This is what we currently have (minus the tin foil which normally covers the top when not in use...)

Does anyone have any suggestions/good places to order from please? Tried Midland Chandlers without success. I can also see that new parts seem to have been discontinued by Alde.

20201226_145631.jpg

20201226_145543.jpg

20201226_145510.jpg

Edited by Ewan123

17 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

We have an Alde Comfort 2928 and need to replace the flue cap, but I'm struggling to find much for sale. I'm also not sure whether we'd get away with just a replacement cap or need a whole new external flue (it looks like bits snapped off under previous ownership).

This is what we currently have (minus the tin foil which normally covers the top when not in use...)

Does anyone have any suggestions/good places to order from please? Tried Midland Chandlers without success. I can also see that new parts seem to have been discontinued by Alde.

20201226_145631.jpg

20201226_145543.jpg

20201226_145510.jpg

Try Graham Cutmore

http://www.grahamcutmoreengineering.co.uk

He's brought all the stock of spares for the comfort series....and is a really helpful chap to boot!

I have to say that doesn't look like the standard Alde flue set up at all!

That looks nothing like the official flue terminal on my 2928. in fact it looks like a complete bodge op.

On mine the larger outer diameter was the balance flue air inlet and it had a "coolie hat" fixed to the inner pipe held maybe 6mm above the  end of the large pipe so air can get into the big pipe. Then another smaller coolie hat on the smaller inner pipe held about 6 to 10mm above the small pipe and supported on struts formed by cut-outs of eh smaller tube.

It loos to me as if someone has added that stepped tube on the top. I don't see how the black witches hat can allow the balance flue air into to work.

This  image is cut from a much larger image of the boat so small but maybe you can see what I am on about.

flue.JPG

33 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That looks nothing like the official flue terminal on my 2928. in fact it looks like a complete bodge op.

On mine the larger outer diameter was the balance flue air inlet and it had a "coolie hat" fixed to the inner pipe held maybe 6mm above the  end of the large pipe so air can get into the big pipe. Then another smaller coolie hat on the smaller inner pipe held about 6 to 10mm above the small pipe and supported on struts formed by cut-outs of eh smaller tube.

It loos to me as if someone has added that stepped tube on the top. I don't see how the black witches hat can allow the balance flue air into to work.

This  image is cut from a much larger image of the boat so small but maybe you can see what I am on about.

flue.JPG

I did wonder whether that might be the case, thanks. Sounds like a full replacement (of the proper sort) is the way to go.

36 minutes ago, frangar said:

Try Graham Cutmore

http://www.grahamcutmoreengineering.co.uk

He's brought all the stock of spares for the comfort series....and is a really helpful chap to boot!

I'll definitely be contacting Graham then!

Thanks both, really helpful responses ?

Edited by Ewan123

Just now, Ewan123 said:

I did wonder whether that might be the case, thanks. Sounds like a full replacement (of the proper sort) is the way to go.

Sounds like I'll be contacting Graham then!

Thanks both, really helpful responses ?

If Graham does no have one then I think any half competent metal worker should be bale to modify  yours as long as they understand how balance flues work.

On 26/12/2020 at 15:19, frangar said:

On 26/12/2020 at 15:22, Tony Brooks said:

22 hours ago, David Mack said:

This is the sort of Alde flue I would expect:

Well, there's a very good reason that it looked nothing like what you'd expect - I'm a numpty and confused two nearby flues! This is actually a differentflue, for the Morco FE-11 gas boiler on the other side of the bulkhead from the Alde. Now I just need to see if I can get the top bit by itself, not the whole flue kit.

@frangar
(The Graham recommendation will still be handy, will be getting the Alde serviced soon anyway).

19 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

Well, there's a very good reason that it looked nothing like what you'd expect - I'm a numpty and confused two nearby flues! This is actually a differentflue, for the Morco FE-11 gas boiler on the other side of the bulkhead from the Alde. Now I just need to see if I can get the top bit by itself, not the whole flue kit

Out of curiosity, why do you have a Morco and an Alde? Most boats with an Alde would use it to heat a calorifier and radiators meaning the Morco is not needed.

35 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Out of curiosity, why do you have a Morco and an Alde? Most boats with an Alde would use it to heat a calorifier and radiators meaning the Morco is not needed.

Alde and solid fuel stove can both do the central heating, Morco is just for hot water on tap.

We've only had the boat a couple of weeks, so can't really speak for why the choices were made, but it seems quite good. Only thing I'd add would be to enable the engine to do hot water via calorifier but previous owners assured me that wasn't set up as an option (though it is a skin-tank cooled engine).

On 26/12/2020 at 18:33, David Mack said:

This is the sort of Alde flue I would expect:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQT8m3EBebStbfldWETFGu

If you can wait I will have one coming spare in a few months time when Belfast's Alde is removed.

Mine looks like this (in the old photo) appearing to be buried in the roof down to the bottom flange.  Boat is 2003 and this fitting appears/could be original, so quite old.  If you look through the hole in the pristine one above you can see an inner sleeve which matches up to the tubing in the main unit below - not wholly sure, at this point, but air going in or gasses coming out.

Balanced flue.JPG

There are "holes" below both conical caps. the combustion air goes in under the lower, larger cap and the products of combustion come out from below the top one.

The circular flange about half way down sits on the roof around a large hole the body of the fitting drops through.

The black piece that clamps on to the fitting over the hole connects to the flexible metallised hos that carries the combustion air i into the burner.

18 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

There are "holes" below both conical caps. the combustion air goes in under the lower, larger cap and the products of combustion come out from below the top one.

The circular flange about half way down sits on the roof around a large hole the body of the fitting drops through.

The black piece that clamps on to the fitting over the hole connects to the flexible metallised hos that carries the combustion air i into the burner.

Having thought about it further, I was going to say that.  The flexible hose referred to goes all the way down to the burner chamber which sits at the very base.  Provides perfect access, during out of season, for spiders to access the burner assembly and stop it working correctly.?️?️?

19 hours ago, Opener said:

Mine looks like this (in the old photo) appearing to be buried in the roof down to the bottom flange.  Boat is 2003 and this fitting appears/could be original, so quite old.  If you look through the hole in the pristine one above you can see an inner sleeve which matches up to the tubing in the main unit below - not wholly sure, at this point, but air going in or gasses coming out.

Balanced flue.JPG

Yup. Mine is mounted as in the photo.

This is a concentric flue, with combustion air drawn in under the larger lower cone, passing down the outer annulus into the bottom of the fitting then out through the side, where it is ducted down to the burner. The flue gases rise from the top of the heater into the centre tube of the roof fitting and exit from under the upper cone.