Bcn Joey hull iron search

sparrowcycles

Featured Posts

Hello again folks. Happy Christmas to you all!

Im writing this time with an enquiry for a friend, she bought a previous boat, Kerbau - a shortened bcn joey, from me some years ago and loves the boat dearly.

However she does need a longer boat and has been looking for a suitable project BCN boat to replace Kerbau but to no avail so far.

So, while that search continues, she is looking into the logistics of lengthening Kerbau with sympathy to the hull, the issue being that she is not built like most Bantocks or similar (of which there will be plenty of useable sides around to lengthen her with) but rather she is of a construction like I have never seen before (please see the attached photo) with many small plates riveted in the oddest ways.

Im sure we have all heard stories of boats being built from old steam tanks etc and in Kerbau I can readily believe this!

My question to you all is, has anyone seen any other boats or scrap iron around that would match, or nearly match, these? We are aware that it is a needle in a haystack and that the costs of such an operation may well be prohibitive in the extreme but its always worth having an ask!

best wishes to you all..

s

kerbausides.jpg

kerbaufront.jpg

Kerbau looks an awful lot like  the six Harris Brothers pleasure boats built in 1961/62.  The stern shape, including the straight, short swim matches well.  The bow, as far as I can see from the photo matches less well, particularly the style of the guard irons, which are rectangular strip on the Harris pleasure  boats I have seen.

No doubt Pete H will have accurate data, but if it is not actually an early  one of the six then I would say it is a Harris Bros day boat which was either shortened by Harris Bros or done  in their style by someone else.  That said, the arrangement of the swim plating does not look like the boat was retrofitted with a motor counter and swim.

N

40 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Kerbau looks an awful lot like  the six Harris Brothers pleasure boats built in 1961/62.  The stern shape, including the straight, short swim matches well.  The bow, as far as I can see from the photo matches less well, particularly the style of the guard irons, which are rectangular strip on the Harris pleasure  boats I have seen.

No doubt Pete H will have accurate data, but if it is not actually an early  one of the six then I would say it is a Harris Bros day boat which was either shortened by Harris Bros or done  in their style by someone else.  That said, the arrangement of the swim plating does not look like the boat was retrofitted with a motor counter and swim.

N

Yes, I'm certain that the Harris brothers did the conversion but from an old Hull, I'm also certain that it is not a Bantock because they have a curved stem Post and this one is straight below the top curve. 

What really puzzles me is the plating, I have seen Calder barges (like June) made with lots of tiny plates but never a joey. Plus the way the plates overlap looks counter intuitive at the gunnel and the footings which makes me think a long strip of iron from some other purpose had the gunnels and footings riveted on to make the hull. 

Either way I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has seen anything similar. 

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

This is Alan Fincher's old boat.

Previous thread and some info from Alan's blog.

http://sickleandchalice.blogspot.com/2011/05/trial-first-post.html?m=1

Thanks, that is my original post from when I bought kerbau in 2014, Alan's site I have already seen. 

Keep rivet counters busy for a while. It almost looks as though lots of bits of iron have been riveted together into 'planks' then the whole thing has been planked up like a wooden boat.

Edited by Bee