Flood warnings

dewshi

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Preparation means doing things in advance of when you actually need it. If you're moored on the Gt Ouse but you haven't prepared for flooding then I'm afraid it's too late.

Huh ???

The question is what preparations should you make.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You should be on a rising pontoon, or have rising mooring rings on scaffolding poles. Do  ot tie centre line, and have long loose lines front and rear(the more the better). Always try to tie back to the boat in case the mooring point goes underwater and you need to loosen/untie for some reason.

@matty40s  Thanks.

Is it advisable to use anchor?

BTW I'm not on the river... just curious if ever in that situation :-0

As above, plus:

Make sure you have some waders.

In case you cannot get ashore:

Make sure you have laid in  plenty of essential supplies,

Top up your heating fuel and water tanks.

In case you should involuntarily go boatabout:

Have a watertight grab bag with your vital paperwork (passport, driving licence, credit cards, phone etc.) handy.

Know where your lifejacket is.

N

• Greenie 3

And remember, the problem isn't just one of the effects of rising waters or fast flowing currents. Boats which have survived the flood perfectly well can come to grief again if they don't drop back into the river channel as the level falls again - hence the recommendation to be on a proper floating pontoon mooring or moored against poles which will guide the boat on its way back down.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, dewshi said:

Huh ???

The question is what preparations should you make.

Ok, so you meant what preparations should you have made? Or what preparations should one make for next time? That wasn't entirely clear from your original post. 

I realise it might seem pedantic but you posted a link to a flood that's already happened and asked what preparations you should make. My point is that there are lots of boaters who only start making "preparations" after the flooding has started and by then it's too late.

10 hours ago, BEngo said:

As above, plus:

Have a watertight grab bag with your vital paperwork (passport, driving licence, credit cards, phone etc.) handy.

N

And if you're wearing the waders then you should also be wearing the lifejacket.

If you fall over in waders without a lifejacket you might not get back up.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

There are two potential problems with waders, either of ehich will happen when (if) you slip and fall over.

1) You fall over and due to the air trapped in the leg and feet, your feet float to the surface and you cannot get them back down to be able to stand up.

2) You fall over and the waders fill with water pulling your legs down, your legs will be so heavy that you cannot get out of the water.

In either case you need to ensure you are wearing a lifejacket (before it happens).

Many years ago on a freezing February morning, in Fleetwod, it was so cold even the margins of the sea were frozen, SWMBO & I were launching our (new to us) boat on the slipway.

SWMBO fully 'wrapped up' and wearing waders decided to walk down the slipway, feeling for the edges (and the bollards) so we knew where the centre line was and where it was OK to launch.

(Fleetwood slip has a dog-leg halfway down, and if you are not careful you can end up with the trailer falling off the side)

I was busy unstrapping the trailer and unhooking from the car when I hear SWMBO calling me, I tell her I'm busy, but she keeps calling me, thinking she had probably found a starfish or a piece of seaweed, I replied I'm busy.

The shouting got a little more intense so I looked up to find here 'not there'

Further investigation showed her about 20 yards off the slipway, lying on her back, feet in the air, slowly sculling towards Ireland, a bit of guidance and we got her turned around and sculling back towards the slipway, she kept going and eventually grounded head first up the slipway - arms still going making 'angels' in the mud.

She was not hapy but got her stripped off and standing naked on the Slipway and dried off and dressed in some of my 'spare' clothes, Got her into the car and the heater on and said "I'll get the boat strapped back on, and the trailer hooked up again and we'll get off home", NO, she replied we have only got a one month warranty on the boat & engines and we might not get another chance at this time of year.

Got her warmed up, launched the boat and had a good days Cod fishing.

She is a 'good-un' (but don't tell her I said so).

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

On some rivers if it gets really bad, best place is above a lock, or push comes to shove, IN a lock.

This is NOT a good idea on rivers like the Nene and GT Ouse though, where some locks are reversed turning them into water shoots.

There speaks the voice of experience .........!

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I realise it might seem pedantic but you posted a link to a flood that's already happened and asked what preparations you should make. My point is that there are lots of boaters who only start making "preparations" after the flooding has started and by then it's too late.

@blackrose The article refers to Storm Bella which is due to hit full with impact today. Apologies if it the question wasn't totally clear though. Thanks for those points !

Now Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire

Further flooding is expected in parts of Cambridgeshire this weekend with the River Great Ouse posing a 'danger to life' in the wider area.

Flood warnings are in place as the Met Office forecasts Storm Bella will batter the UK today (December 26).

Cambridgeshire and most of the UK are under a yellow severe weather warning for wind from 3pm today until 12pm tomorrow.

The Environment Agency has issued an 'immediate action required' flood warning for the Great Ouse catchment area near Bedford including St Neots, Little Paxton and the Offords.

The agency warns "flooding (of property) is imminent" as river levels are rising at the Bedford river gauge.

There are also flood warnings for Wyton and Houghton, at the Hemingfords, St Ives and other low-lying areas east of Huntingdon.

There are 22 flood warnings - with immediate action required - for Cambridgeshire this morning and a further 28 flood alerts where residents are urged to be be prepared.

Flood warnings England: Live updates as flood warnings in force for Cambs as Storm Bella to batter UK today - Cambridgeshire Live (cambridge-news.co.uk)

Evacuation centres have been set up to help those affected by flooding along a river, Bedfordshire Fire Service has said.

People in 1,300 homes by the River Great Ouse were advised to move out and a "severe" flood warning is in place.

The fire service said it had "crews on the ground trying to divert water" - but the volume of water made situation "very, very difficult".

Fire crews used boats to rescue people throughout Christmas Day.

"We are advising people in the affected areas to evacuate, and three evacuation centres, or rest centres, have been been set up," said Paul Fuller, chief fire officer for Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue.

He told BBC Breakfast that people in areas of risk should "move valuables upstairs" and turn off any electrical appliances on the ground floor.

Bedfordshire flooding: Evacuation centres set up - BBC News

Anchors. Excellent things for sea going boats. Necessary for rivers but one warning, rivers in flood carry trees, sheep, cattle, sheds and lord knows what else and can attach themselves to anchor chains putting a really big load on ropes and things and uproot the anchor too. They need watching just in case.

The anchor itself is not quite as much use as the chain it is attached to.    Relying on an anchor to hold you in a rising flood would be a high-risk strategy.  Using the anchor chain to secure yourself to a decent sized tree as a back up to a rising mooring is a good idea.  Chain chafes much more slowly than a rope, and is stronger in the event of a large chunk of flotsam joining you on your mooring.

N

14 hours ago, BEngo said:

As above, plus:

N

With some of the current floods i think jesus shoes would be more useful than waders!

1 minute ago, Steilsteven said:

If anyone plans on entering flood water ( not a good idea anyway ) a good quality dry suit is far more preferable to waders.

Keith 

Agreed, much less likely to be dragged off into the torrent.