Advice please on stove

Lisa009

Featured Posts

Hi everyone have dug out the cement resealed the adapter and spigot with rope as well checked everything no leaks but the crack sound is still there when cooling down am of the opinion now it is expansion as everything has been checked but at least the stove has been checked and no CO alarms thanks for all your help it is really appreciated 

Edited by Lisa009

Hi everyone have dug out the cement revealed the adapter and spigot with rope as well checked everything no leaks but the crack sound is still there when cooling down am of the opinion now it is expansion as everything has been checked but at least the stove has been checked and no CO alarms thanks for all your help it is really appreciated 

Hi everyone and happy new year to you all.

Ok the stove again we have done it all right dismantled resealed with rope and silicon still an almighty crack sound from the twin wall flue am wondering does anyone else hear that from twin wall flues forgot to mention the flue continues outside where it is bitterly cold wondering if that is the reason never used to hear this at all but did start hearing it after the solar was put on the roof but nowhere near the chimney driving me mad any ideas ?  

We have only had the boat a year as well it is newish 

41 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Ours is a twin wall flue but never makes a noise as it is on 24/7. We only let it cool if we are leaving the boat overnight ( which is not often in lockdown) so never hear it cooling. Leave it in overnight and continue to monitor for CO.

Hi we cant afford to leave it on all the time this happens when the fire is cooling down only am now wondering if it's the clips for the sflue joins am going to light a fire without them and see if it still happens obviously watching it carefully 

On 26/12/2020 at 00:24, matty40s said:

It could be he has used cement in the roof collar rather than rope and silicon as well as the top of the stove.

This stops the flue expanding and contracting smoothly. There may well be a small noise when it is heating up, but the crack may be more noticeable when cooling if the top cement cools first and traps the flue.

And if this is the case you may be woken at 02.00 to the smell of burning paint on the deckhead, you then have to close up the fire, remove the metal plate and chisel out the fireclay to prevent transmission of heat fron the flue, fill the gap created with fire rope, seal with silicon, and don't ask that professional to work for you again.

Of course, you should give your installer the opportunity to come and fix it the same day, take the opportunity to ask him how it should be installed. He may not be experienced with boats, but still be a professional fitter

There may be other causes which are indicated, but it sounds to me that there is insufficient room for metal expansion.  There is massive expertise on this forum, so you will find your answer

You can also ask the manufacturer. 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

And if this is the case you may be woken at 02.00 to the smell of burning paint on the deckhead, you then have to close up the fire, remove the metal plate and chisel out the fireclay to prevent transmission of heat fron the flue, fill the gap created with fire rope, seal with silicon, and don't ask that professional to work for you again.

Of course, you should give your installer the opportunity to come and fix it the same day, take the opportunity to ask him how it should be installed. He may not be experienced with boats, but still be a professional fitter

There may be other causes which are indicated, but it sounds to me that there is insufficient room for metal expansion.  There is massive expertise on this forum, so you will find your answer

You can also ask the manufacturer. 

Hi all that has now been done.  Found the problem at last the clips on the flue must of been too tight took them all off and lit the fire cooled down no noise without the clips on looking at them 2 of them were tighter than others as have adjustable screws unlike this one pictured will change them 2 and all should be good  

tws6lb_1.jpg

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I thought I mentioned that way back..........................................

Hi Tracey thought you meant the bracket holding the flue to the wall but thanks think I missed that at least the stove has been fully checked ow and is as it should be now thanks to all of you for your help and wish you a great 2021 x

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Mmmm, yes I did, but anything tight around the flue will lead to creaks and cracks as it expands and shrinks. A drop of oil or grease on the tight parts may help.

as its a twin wall flue. May not be such a good idea on a single wall flue unless you like the smell of very hot oil or grease.

• Greenie 1

It's fine now no need for oil or grease was not going to use that on a twin wall was a dodgy clip had a spare one so working perfectly now.  Thanks 

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Mmmm, yes I did, but anything tight around the flue will lead to creaks and cracks as it expands and shrinks. A drop of oil or grease on the tight parts may help.

Thankyou again Tracey so sorry I missed your post hope you have a lovely 2021 

30 minutes ago, Lisa009 said:

It's fine now no need for oil or grease was not going to use that on a twin wall was a dodgy clip had a spare one so working perfectly now.  Thanks 

And a lovely crack free New Year to you too.

T'D

On 01/01/2021 at 12:14, Tracy D'arth said:

Hi again still problems with the flue I am going to call someone in unfortunately I am on my own with this at the moment as hubby has a disability so am doing the best I can.

Can I please check something as this was all installed by someone I would not use again and have had another look tonight under the ceiling collar.  There is a large gap between the ceiling and the twin wall flue to combustible and then the flue goes up through the roof and out through some rubber flashing which keeps the water out.  I can only see a small thin bit of rope that is hanging down a bit and it is not packed with fire rope in the gaps between the flue and ceiling and out through the roof this worries me as I am sure there needs to be some sort of rope there not just a flue and space?

Would I be right to pack fire rope in the gap through the ceiling to and smaller gap through the roof tight against the flue so there is no gaps ?

Sorry to keep asking questions on this I cant get anyone out till next week and am thinking the gaps dont seem correct and am worried with the cracking noise.

Hope this makes sense

Lisa

Does your rubber flashing look something like this?

25889.jpg?auto=compress&w=500&h=500&fit=

If so, as long as the rubber is tight against the flue pipe, it shouldn't need any more sealing.

But the space around the flue pipe between the cabin roof and the ceiling lining should be filled with non flammable insulation. Most folk put rockwool or fibreglass wool insulation - the sort of stuff sold in DIY sheds for domestic loft insulation. You may be able to cadge the small quantity you need for this job from a building site.

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

Does your rubber flashing look something like this?

25889.jpg?auto=compress&w=500&h=500&fit=

If so, as long as the rubber is tight against the flue pipe, it shouldn't need any more sealing.

But the space around the flue pipe between the cabin roof and the ceiling lining should be filled with non flammable insulation. Most folk put rockwool or fibreglass wool insulation - the sort of stuff sold in DIY sheds for domestic loft insulation. You may be able to cadge the small quantity you need for this job from a building site.

Hi thanks for the picture that is exactly what we have and it is tight.  The whole ceiling is filled with insulation the one in the pic the person installing the fire took it out from that area but I have some left so can easily stuff that up there does it matter if it touches the flue ?  This is the stuff it is called knauff earthwool 

knauf-loft-insulation-loft-roll-44-combi-cut-1005-p.jpg_2_3.jpg

On 26/12/2020 at 13:40, Ex Brummie said:

Dig out the fire cement and replace it with a ring of ceramic rope, the same diameter as the width of the ledge. The internal pipe of the flue should sit on this, and the pipe through the roof collar should be free to expand. Another ring of fire rope around the top of the flue will stop it rusting to the collar.

Can I check I have done this right the top of the spigot has been dug out fire rope put in and silicone on top I cant seem to get the spigot off of the stove so no idea whether there is fire rope under the spigot when installed and if there is none under it is that a problem, is there a way to get the spigot off on arada stoves cant find it on the instructions and cant see screws inside the stove 

Sorry if I sound stupid you guys are a godsend I was asking london boaters and only got people wanting money for advice wish I had of found this place earlier 

11 hours ago, Lisa009 said:

Hi again still problems with the flue I am going to call someone in unfortunately I am on my own with this at the moment as hubby has a disability so am doing the best I can.

Can I please check something as this was all installed by someone I would not use again and have had another look tonight under the ceiling collar.  There is a large gap between the ceiling and the twin wall flue to combustible and then the flue goes up through the roof and out through some rubber flashing which keeps the water out.  I can only see a small thin bit of rope that is hanging down a bit and it is not packed with fire rope in the gaps between the flue and ceiling and out through the roof this worries me as I am sure there needs to be some sort of rope there not just a flue and space?

Would I be right to pack fire rope in the gap through the ceiling to and smaller gap through the roof tight against the flue so there is no gaps ?

Sorry to keep asking questions on this I cant get anyone out till next week and am thinking the gaps dont seem correct and am worried with the cracking noise.

Hope this makes sense

Lisa

Does it look like this video ? 

I have just taken the stove apart again with a view of getting the spigot off to check rops I can see a tiny hole where the weld is daylight is coming through wondering if this can be filled with fire cement or is this not useable it is a very small hole hard to see from the pic

20210103_114224.jpg

16 minutes ago, Lisa009 said:

I have just taken the stove apart again with a view of getting the spigot off to check rops I can see a tiny hole where the weld is daylight is coming through wondering if this can be filled with fire cement or is this not useable it is a very small hole hard to see from the pic

20210103_114224.jpg

Poke a bit of wire through the hole to see if it goes right through. Is this a pic of the blanking plate on the back of the stove ?

To be honest I wouldn't stuff any insulation up against or close to the flue pipe inside, you never know.  Grenfell tower!!!

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Poke a bit of wire through the hole to see if it goes right through. Is this a pic of the blanking plate on the back of the stove ?

To be honest I wouldn't stuff any insulation up against or close to the flue pipe inside, you never know.  Grenfell tower!!!

Hi this is the top of the stove where it joins the back of the stove there is a pin prick size hole am going to fill with fire cement.

Have got the spigot off and there was no fire rope behind and neither was there any on the plate at the back I am disgusted with the fitter.  I am going to put fire rope where it should be where the spigot meets the stove and reseal it all am thinking this was why the flue was expanding so much 

Edited by Lisa009

6 hours ago, Lisa009 said:

Can I check I have done this right the top of the spigot has been dug out fire rope put in and silicone on top I cant seem to get the spigot off of the stove so no idea whether there is fire rope under the spigot when installed and if there is none under it is that a problem, is there a way to get the spigot off on arada stoves cant find it on the instructions and cant see screws inside the stove 

Sorry if I sound stupid you guys are a godsend I was asking london boaters and only got people wanting money for advice wish I had of found this place earlier 

I thought that picture I responded to was of the spigot on the stove. You really need to get both ends looked at.

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

I thought that picture I responded to was of the spigot on the stove. You really need to get both ends looked at.

Yes it was I have had a fellow boaters come and help he confirmed needed the rope needed to be on there was not sealed properly he has sorted it out and it is being tested now fingers crossed no more problems was going to change the stove but will stay with this now as too much hassle if it is now working correctly thanks again 

Hi everyone we have decided to go for a chilli penguin stove as overall this stove is not right for us anyway and am ordering it soon when I get paid.  Just wondering as want to make sure this is right this time in looking at the diagram online for stove fitting frI cant see a roof support between the ceiling and roof like the pic attached do people fit these types of supports in boars  and are they necessary?  Thanks

s-l400.jpg

42231213ee2b37bb7ec9632c8fed6efc.jpg