Trading from a widebeam

Ambull

Featured Posts

Just now, Ambull said:

Hello everyone, 

I have done an Internet search but can't seem to find an answer to my question. Does anyone know if you are allowed to trade from a wide beam boat on the canals of Great Britain? 

If you have a trading licence, commercial insurance and,if necessary, a commercial Boat Safety Certificate and meets all of C&RTs requirements the beam of the boat does not matter - except as a wide beam, you will not be allowed on certain canals (but that applies to all widebeams not only trading boats)

4 minutes ago, Ambull said:

Hello everyone, 

I have done an Internet search but can't seem to find an answer to my question. Does anyone know if you are allowed to trade from a wide beam boat on the canals of Great Britain? 

I'm only a southerner - but t' canals in Brum are all narrow, thus a wide ***** boat would cause a lot of hassle - 'cos they're supposed to move around.

I suspect CRT would say 'No'

Edited by OldGoat

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

I'm only a southerner - but t' canals in Brum are all narrow, thus a wide ***** boat would cause a lot of hassle - 'cos they're supposed to move around.

I'm not a Southerner and have a trading licence.

And I know quite a few widebeams that have trading licences ... including a couple in Birmingham!

Edited by TheBiscuits
Stupid mobile phone

On 25/12/2020 at 13:13, OldGoat said:

I do hope so, certainly wouldn't get any business from me.

On 25/12/2020 at 13:13, OldGoat said:

They are happy with the one going round to the Icknield Port to the new houses 

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They are happy with the one going round to the Icknield Port to the new houses 

I'm not sure they are entirely - I understand (from here iirc) that it's under a temporary licence and is to be removed once the project is complete. One can only hope as it fits into that setting about as well as an Arabian Dhow.

Just now, Sea Dog said:

I'm not sure they are entirely - I understand (from here iirc) that it's under a temporary licence and is to be removed once the project is complete. One can only hope as it fits into that setting about as well as an Arabian Dhow.

Surely once the project is complete the developers will stop advertising it, which naturally limits the length of time the boat is needed ...

That said, it might not qualify for a licence renewal based on the bit about boat dimensions in the new T&Cs. 

(This is a tongue-in-cheek comment- trade boats operate under a different set of T&Cs)