Casual boaters Vlog choice.

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you suggesting that if you are not a single-hander then it is not 'natural' to whinge about dog-droppings ................................

Try reading up on syllogistic logic (A=> B ~=> B => A) although even Venn diagrams would handle that one . . . . .

57 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I dont think Thunderboat existed when I moved Doghouse.

No it didn't, it was a comment he made sometime after probably around two or three years after 2015.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I just made the mistake watching one of a chap installing a stove, I wont do that again in a hurry. 

we’re following this one because they’ve painted the boat with Dulux Weathershield and we want to see what happens further down the line

12 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You've not yet learnt the most important thing from this forum if that is your attitude!

Just kidding. There is a wealth of useful information and knowledgable people here. The Venn diagram of knowledgable people and curmudgeons here does have a fair bit of overlap though.

Jen ?

Yes, I will take in advice that I believe to be valuable and from a reliable source. Nobody knows everything about everything, so I always listen and then decide which nuggets of information are useful or relevant to my situation. I won't just automatically believe anything that is quoted on here.

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Take care, there are people making some of the videos who have very little more experience than you do, and they are not always giving the best advice, or the safest.

Thank you, yes and I would say as above.

Edited by Atticus Finch

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Someone has done a vlog reviewing all the other boaty vlogs out there and no I haven't watched it, so its at your own risk. 

I saw it yesterday... and checked each vlog he mentioned. Thought I will find some hidden gem before it gets famous, I was wrong.

Edited by restlessnomad

Just watched another new couple who started a Vlog, who have just bought a new boat from New and Used now moored in Mercia Marina, have never had it out yet and still they have over 30+ Vlogs on their YouTube. They have also just bought a new car so a case of New Boat, New Car, New Marina Mooring, New life on a floating Estate. Their Vlog is “Love_life_triumph”  they will be experts in walking around with a selfie stick in no time? Why do New boaters think they are doing something new that 1000’s haven’t already done before and think they need to show everyone in a Vlog? 

Edited by PD1964
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Just watched another new couple who started a Vlog, who have just bought a new boat from New and Used now moored in Mercia Marina, have never had it out yet and still they have over 30+ Vlogs on their YouTube. They have also just bought a new car so a case of New Boat, New Car, New Marina Mooring, New life on a floating Estate. Their Vlog is “Love_life_triumph”  they will be experts in walking around with a selfie stick in no time? Why do New boaters think they are doing something new that 1000’s haven’t already done before and think they need to show everyone in a Vlog? 

think it has been mentioned a few times, but you get to earn money if people watch your video, does not matter what you do, some earn thousands of pounds just watching other youtube videos and 'reacting' to it. (bit like gogglebox for youtube)

this vlogger will get popular... they do seem to know what they are doing.

Edited by restlessnomad

35 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

this vlogger will get popular... they do seem to know what they are doing.

Do they? After a month of cleaning and polishing their new boat in a Marina and not even having taken the boat out yet never mind going through a lock, yeh must be experts by now?Looking at when they moved on he didn’t even know what a fender was.? yeh may get popular with Foreign watchers, non boaters and dreamers, but not real world boaters?

Edited by PD1964

15 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Do they? After a month in a Marina and not even having taken the boat out, yeh must be experts as have over 30 Vlogs out?Looking at when they moved on he didn’t even know what a fender was.? yeh may get popular with Foreign watchers, non boaters and dreamers, but not real world boaters?

I mean they seem to know what they are doing ... about vlogging... dont think people watch a new boat owner to learn how to do stuff, I guess people are interested to know how other people get started, and where they fail or just pure fun of watching other people do stuff.

I have a house but still watch grand design and home under hammer (no idea why, I would never do any of those stuff)

think 'the real boater' youtube video market is rather small, so it makes little financial sense to make video targeting them.

22 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

…but not real world boaters?

thats not the target audience of these vlogs though, its for those dreamers with disposable income who love the idea of a cosy boat all shabby chic’d with Farrow & Ball and dripping with Laura Ashley and willing to sign up to their patreon scheme :D 

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I mean they seem to know what they are doing ... about vlogging... dont think people watch a new boat owner to learn how to do stuff, I guess people are interested to know how other people get started, and where they fail or just pure fun of watching other people do stuff.

I have a house but still watch grand design and home under hammer (no idea why, I would never do any of those stuff)

think 'the real boater' youtube video market is rather small, so it makes little financial sense to make video targeting them.

Yes I would say pretty competent at walking around with a selfie stick?

24 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

thats not the target audience of these vlogs though, its for those dreamers with disposable income who love the idea of a cosy boat all shabby chic’d with Farrow & Ball and dripping with Laura Ashley and willing to sign up to their patreon scheme :D 

What makes me laugh is they’ve just bought a new car too, all they need now is a puppy to enjoy their lifestyle change and Marina life ? 

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

I think thats the nub of it.

Its the you tube equivalent of a lot of stuff on TV, some people watch it some people dont. Some people start to watch it and stop, realising its not their cup of tea.

I find it intriguing somebody watches a genre of videos on you tube that they know already they dont like.

On the latest Cruising the Cut vlog he says that he is taking a break from vlogging for a couple of months and intends to do more mini documentary type vlogs once a month. He has done this before when he spent some time with a fuel boat.

I did notice that his website has a long list of narrowboat vloggers if anyone is interested.

19 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Yes I would say pretty competent at walking around with a selfie stick?

What makes me laugh is they’ve just bought a new car too, all they need now is a puppy to enjoy their lifestyle change and Marina life ? 

No!

No, no, no, no, no, nooooooo.............................

It won't be a proper boaty vlog until they have ripped out whatever, ahem, facilities, the boat came with and replaced it with a compost bog.

?