Casual boaters Vlog choice.

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

Have watched a few episode of 'sort of interesting', likable chap. Dont like foxes afloat because of their clickbait title and annoying high energy exited voice. Its not that easy to make a good vlog, plenty of them with weird camera work and cringe-worthy screen presence. 

Thanks for the Heads up on Dan Brown ( is he related to Guy Martin? could be brothers ) i like his style .

@pomkitanner give these a look;

Project Narrowboat

Slow Boat Through Britain

The Tiller People - Narrowboaters

we’ll watch most channels just for the scenery and not the presenters, some almost need the sound muting at times :D 

just do a YouTube search on the word “narrowboat” and see what it suggests, watch a couple of their vids and see if you can cope, my wife does this every few weeks and we end up watching some right rubbish :D :D  (YouTube app on FireTV box)

I can't watch any of those youtube blogs. I've tried but there's something about watching these newbie boaters explaining what is all about that turns me off.

I'm sure there are some more experienced boaters with vlogs that I've probably missed, but I get bored watching cruising the cut. Foxes afloat, the widebeam people with the snoring dog and those two women telling me how to suck eggs.

Edited by blackrose

It does seem to me that some responders have missed the point . The title referred to " casual boaters". i.e. those not lucky enough to own their own boat . I fully understand that long time boaters may find it all a bit ho hum.   Horses for courses.  Many of these videos give a valuable insight into a life that for us casuals is very enlightening . I view it as akin to my downplaying a visit to my country as i have seen it all, but for you its an exciting adventure . Be Kind . 

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

@pomkitanner give these a look;

Project Narrowboat

Slow Boat Through Britain

The Tiller People - Narrowboaters

we’ll watch most channels just for the scenery and not the presenters, some almost need the sound muting at times :D 

just do a YouTube search on the word “narrowboat” and see what it suggests, watch a couple of their vids and see if you can cope, my wife does this every few weeks and we end up watching some right rubbish :D :D  (YouTube app on FireTV box)

Thanks for the suggestions,  I did check out Slow boat through Britain, easy watching.  

Although it's about sailing, rather than the canals or narrowboats, the "Sailing Uma" Vlog is extremely watchable. The Canadian/Haitian couple are engaging and the production is (now) very good. 

The YouTube channel is here.

While sharing most of the views here about "influencers" doing shit videos and wanting others to pay for their lifestyles, Sailing Uma, is one of the better ones out there.

• Greenie 1

I became a regular watcher of certain Narrowboat Vlogs, using them mostly for information and 'good ideas' that some of the Vloggers have.

Everyone will have different reasons for watching or not watching and different Vlogs may appeal in different ways, but I must say that some appear to me as truly awful.

I watched 'Cruising the Cut' from day one of his 'productions' right through to early 2020 and found the videos to be a great source of information, most of it well explained. I also liked the explanation of the various shops and places along the canals where one can get 'stocked up' within walking distance.

As with all Vlogs it would appear that things have become somewhat boring now and I have had enough of him moaning about road and rail traffic along with other things while he cruises for a couple of hours in between cheese sandwiches.

I started to watch 'Minimal List' which in the early days was also a good source of information, particularly of the lesser known parts of the system such as the Basingstoke etc. Now that the Vlog has degenerated into a few minutes of time lapse video, followed by several minutes of both faces in the camera moaning about the day they had, I have given up on them.

Next for me came 'Journey with Jono' which I thought was going to be a more informative series about self fit out of a sailaway, but even that failed to materialise and the Vlog went IMHO down the proverbial pan.

So now I am on the hunt for a more interesting vlog with good information and without having to sit watching too much of presenters in front of their fancy cameras.

I will also avoid anything that contains 'clickbait' dramatic titles detailing events that do not actually happen, also those with squeaky excited 'pretending to be dumb' presenters.

So a surfing we will go.....

Mrs Dharl and myself also enjoy watching Cruising the Cut and Fixes Afloat, also Robbie Cummings is enjoyable.   

if we lived afloat then I dare say we would watch a lot less canal vlogs, but particularly this year, we enjoy watching them.     

Strangely enough, we were discussing this over a very good pork roast dinner this evening. 

I may have been one of the first...kind of.

In 2012/3, I experimented with streaming live cruises on the way to banters and back again....I think the platform was UStream, and the data was using a dongle on 3 network with unlimited...but dodgy wifi.

Laptop on back hatch, messaging when I wasnt doing corners of locks. At one point I had over 600 people online watching according to the widget thingy. Best moment had to be coming south over the Rugeley Aqueduct and having a hire boat come straight across the bend into the bank, completely missing the turn. 

Apparently, people were watching live in New Zealand and Australia amongst other known places.

It was fun while it lasted, but I never bored anybody by talking toilets or how cold it can get in winter.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Strangely enough, we were discussing this over a very good pork roast dinner this evening. 

I may have been one of the first...kind of.

In 2012/3, I experimented with streaming live cruises on the way to banters and back again....I think the platform was UStream, and the data was using a dongle on 3 network with unlimited...but dodgy wifi.

Laptop on back hatch, messaging when I wasnt doing corners of locks. At one point I had over 600 people online watching according to the widget thingy. Best moment had to be coming south over the Rugeley Aqueduct and having a hire boat come straight across the bend into the bank, completely missing the turn. 

Apparently, people were watching live in New Zealand and Australia amongst other known places.

It was fun while it lasted, but I never bored anybody by talking toilets or how cold it can get in winter.

Your trip on the Trent video, all be it done in stills was enjoyable as well.

I still watch it from time to time.

I enjoy some vlogs and others are quite annoying. Tales from the Swan's neck, Sort of interesting, Cruising the cut, are all nicely put together. I personally have a project boat so The Narrowboat that James built has been and will be useful. I won't mention the ones that annoy me, as my Dad used to say "if you haven't got anything nice to say about something, say nothing at all".

As a newcomer to boating, I'm finding both this forum and youtube useful and I'm trying to absorb as much information as I can before I'm out on the cut.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

as my Dad used to say "if you haven't got anything nice to say about something, say nothing at all".

As a newcomer to boating, I'm finding both this forum and youtube useful and I'm trying to absorb as much information as I can before I'm out on the cut.

You've not yet learnt the most important thing from this forum if that is your attitude!

Just kidding. There is a wealth of useful information and knowledgable people here. The Venn diagram of knowledgable people and curmudgeons here does have a fair bit of overlap though.

Jen ?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

One of these days, if someone furloughs me, I may do you a Doghouse delivery trip. 

I was on the other boat locking out of Selby with you on that trip. I thought you were MJG/Happy Nomad because you were on The Doghouse.

It was clear you were on a job - you disappeared at a great rate of knots!

I keep seeing you on your own boat and mean to say hello again.

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The Venn diagram of knowledgable people and curmudgeons here does have a fair bit of overlap though.

Jen ?

It's similar on YouTube boating vlogs: the Venn diagram of wafflers and whingers exhibits a degree of overlap with the entertaining and informative. 

Often, my mood dictates how much overlap I'm happy about. Other times I'm happy to put up with a lot of 'cotton wool' to get info on a particular route or (yes, matty40s, sorry) an informed discussion about toilets. Everyone has their bad days when there's a need to whinge about the state of the world. If you are a solo vlogger it's natural to whinge to your audience about (for example) dog droppings near mooring bollards being a health hazard when tying and untying.

19 minutes ago, Puffling said:

If you are a solo vlogger it's natural to whinge to your audience about (for example) dog droppings near mooring bollards being a health hazard when tying and untying.

Are you suggesting that if you are not a single-hander then it is not 'natural' to whinge about dog-droppings ................................

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you suggesting that if you are not a single-hander then it is not 'natural' to whinge about dog-droppings ................................

Couples primarily whinge to each other, only leaving any left over whinge for other people. It is part of the wedding vows, or should be. A solo vlogger is going to tend to use their vlog as their primary whinge outlet.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd encourage every canal user to whinge about dog droppings, there's really no excuse.
But it was only an example. As Jen-in-Wellies suggests in the post above, couples quickly form a CCWS (closed circuit whinging system) with no requirement to shout their gripes out to the world. Unless they are vlogging as Minimal List, of course.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

I enjoy some vlogs and others are quite annoying. Tales from the Swan's neck, Sort of interesting, Cruising the cut, are all nicely put together. I personally have a project boat so The Narrowboat that James built has been and will be useful. I won't mention the ones that annoy me, as my Dad used to say "if you haven't got anything nice to say about something, say nothing at all".

Take care, there are people making some of the videos who have very little more experience than you do, and they are not always giving the best advice, or the safest.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

You came up to the Princess in Nottingham for a chat ont way past if you recal?

Indeed, didnt stop long though.

2 hours ago, pig said:

I was on the other boat locking out of Selby with you on that trip. I thought you were MJG/Happy Nomad because you were on The Doghouse.

It was clear you were on a job - you disappeared at a great rate of knots!

I keep seeing you on your own boat and mean to say hello again.

Ah, yes, I was booked for 3 long moves in 3 weeks, the tide was flowing well, and Doghouse was set up for it. Managed 92 miles(zouch cut, river soar) in 2 days which I've never bettered.

40 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Indeed, didnt stop long though.

Ah, yes, I was booked for 3 long moves in 3 weeks, the tide was flowing well, and Doghouse was set up for it. Managed 92 miles(zouch cut, river soar) in 2 days which I've never bettered.

What I found funny was Tony Dunkley subsequently claimed he saw you on the Trent on The Dog House and that she was struggling on the river. Which was at odds with what you said at the time. Just another reason why I take what TD says with a pinch of salt.

I actually don't believe he even saw you and was just saying it for effect.