Casual boaters Vlog choice.

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

Expatriots and home grown wannabe boaters like me, thrive on the fix we get on you tube, especially now that any travel is not even on the radar. Rarely does a day go by when i don't watch at least one vlog.  Usually its one of three. Tales of the swans neck, Foxes afloat, or Cruising the cut . All three are easy to watch, especially the 2 single handers, but Foxes also appeal. There are many others i know, but often there is way too much banter between presenters resulting in poor diction. Hard to follow for my ears. If i were to favour one it would be Swans Neck, hope he gets to expand his repertoire. Which preferences do others have ?

Far too many narrowboat channels on the tube, boats festooned with cameras so not to miss any content to keep the patreons happy, far too many lazy scroungers as well that like to cruise around expecting everyone else to pay for it. Some of them are so depressing i feel like ringing the Samaritans after 2 mins so i only follow 3 now.

5 hours ago, pomkitanner said:

Expatriots and home grown wannabe boaters like me, thrive on the fix we get on you tube, especially now that any travel is not even on the radar. Rarely does a day go by when i don't watch at least one vlog.  Usually its one of three. Tales of the swans neck, Foxes afloat, or Cruising the cut . All three are easy to watch, especially the 2 single handers, but Foxes also appeal. There are many others i know, but often there is way too much banter between presenters resulting in poor diction. Hard to follow for my ears. If i were to favour one it would be Swans Neck, hope he gets to expand his repertoire. Which preferences do others have ?

What? Who?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What's a vlog? Is it some sort of magic lantern show?

I'm off to the apothecary to get some tincture of opium to see us through Yuletide.

?

careful you don't have conniptions or find yourself overcome with a case of the vapours

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What's a vlog? Is it some sort of magic lantern show?

I'm off to the apothecary to get some tincture of opium to see us through Yuletide.

?

I personally don't have/find the time to watch many apart from the historical ones from Andy Tidy. But like them or not they are incredibly popular, even the most inane canal vlog can get tens of thousands of views with some getting over a million.

The boring vlogs seem to be popping up on every facebook group now....with such peril as "will my engine start?"...".we are going through a lock" etc....they are in the main a complete load of tripe....I have no idea why people watch them...they must have really dull lives themselves I guess.

Edited to add

They now seem to be putting up "outtakes" too....so the crappest of the crap production.....I just dont get it at all Im afraid

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Surely you should have said Laudanum if you were keeping in character with the time of vapours.

It is acceptable as an alternative name for Laudanum of the time. I think I need some more...

1331451777_s3L0058000_L0058761.jpeg.46b8da66687d42cc4e1f6e0d9ed398f3.jpeg

From https://wellcomecollection.org/works/pfzy2a4v

With permission.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

44 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

even the most inane canal vlog can get tens of thousands of views with some getting over a million.

Please to report that the few basic timelapse videos I uploaded a couple of years ago of our barge on the Medway and Thames have still only got a few hundred views - and I think most of them are me ?

9 hours ago, pomkitanner said:

99 percent are pretty poor because they lack the video and production skills to make an interesting video or they use click bait titles and or thumbnail pictures for the title page.

The ones who achieve this have a background in media so I tend to watch the Foxes on a Friday evening and Cruising the cut though he isn't releasing much at the mo as I think he moors up for much of the winter.

The rest are not really worth bothering with IMHO unless somebody knows somebody equally interesting.

48 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

image.gif.8b91e3c5eeff5b56f33945bfebf9363f.gif

They had a bit of a cheek calling it Placebo hadn't they!

Placebo:  a medicine or procedure prescribed for the psychological benefit to the patient rather than for any physiological effect.

I am sure something with even small amounts of Opium in would have a physiological effect.

A selection from my current watch list includes Cruising Alba, Cruising The Cut, Floating Our Boat, My Narrowboat Venture, The Liveaboard Family, Well Deck Diaries and The Narrowboat Experience. Cruising The Cut David's "Slow TV" pieces are often my way of relaxing after a troubling day down at t'mill.

Used to follow Journey with Jono but he seems to have stopped posting new vlogs and removed all his video's comments. Was always good to hear his ideas on fitouts. Other lapsed vloggers include Narrowboat Helen (excellent restoration advice plus sharp sense of humour), Christine Anne The Buoys (Carl working on bringing a shell up to a finished boat) and Colin Jaques (another shell fitter, also inspiring for his woodwork).

@pomkitanner Thanks for the tip about Tales From The Swan's Neck, a new one to add! My stainless steel cookset was purchased in a small camping store in Whangarei over 25 years ago and is still giving service. Have some happy memories of Northland and the islands.

If you are interested in sailing channels, 
Free Range Sailing has to be one of the best. Currently with them on an exploration of The Kimberly in Australia - a nice antidote to the European winter

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Puffling said:

A selection from my current watch list includes Cruising Alba, Cruising The Cut, Floating Our Boat, My Narrowboat Venture, The Liveaboard Family, Well Deck Diaries and The Narrowboat Experience. Cruising The Cut David's "Slow TV" pieces are often my way of relaxing after a troubling day down at t'mill.

Used to follow Journey with Jono but he seems to have stopped posting new vlogs and removed all his video's comments. Was always good to hear his ideas on fitouts. Other lapsed vloggers include Narrowboat Helen (excellent restoration advice plus sharp sense of humour), Christine Anne The Buoys (Carl working on bringing a shell up to a finished boat) and Colin Jaques (another shell fitter, also inspiring for his woodwork).

@pomkitanner Thanks for the tip about Tales From The Swan's Neck, a new one to add! My stainless steel cookset was purchased in a small camping store in Whangarei over 25 years ago and is still giving service. Have some happy memories of Northland and the islands.

If you are interested in sailing channels, 
Free Range Sailing has to be one of the best. Currently with them on an exploration of The Kimberly in Australia - a nice antidote to the European winter

Do you actually get around to doing any boating yourself ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Have watched a few episode of 'sort of interesting', likable chap. Dont like foxes afloat because of their clickbait title and annoying high energy exited voice. Its not that easy to make a good vlog, plenty of them with weird camera work and cringe-worthy screen presence. 

Edited by restlessnomad

6 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

Have watched a few episode of 'sort of interesting', likable chap. Dont like foxes afloat because of their clickbait title and annoying high energy exited voice. Its not that easy to make a good vlog, plenty of them with weird camera work and cringe-worthy screen presence. 

Have to agree with you about the Foxes (I'm sure Colin and Shaun are delighful in person but their delivery seems rather theatrical).

I forgot one more on my list Robbie Cumming. Well produced technically, confident narration, interesting topics (though I tend to fast-forward through his Crank-It crew listings).

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Have to agree with you about the Foxes (I'm sure Colin and Shaun are delighful in person but their delivery seems rather theatrical).

I forgot one more on my list Robbie Cumming. Well produced technically, confident narration, interesting topics (though I tend to fast-forward through his Crank-It crew listings).

yes, Robbie is a pro, he got a bbc series already

16 hours ago, pomkitanner said:

Sad?

• Unimpressed 1

7 minutes ago, Slim said:

Sad?

When someone comments "sad" it rarely means they are lachrymose about what they've recently witnessed. Instead, it is codified disapproval: "I don't like what you do or how you enjoy yourself."

Spirit of Christmas, indeed ?

To those critics: watching boating vlogs is not lessening your enjoyment of canal boating in any way. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I should add that it's not only "expatriots and home grown wannabe boaters" such as myself and pomkitanner who are consumers of such vlogs. Many boaters themselves (funny how you will find fewer on here, though, isn't it, given the tolerance?) are avid followers.

• Greenie 2

I find them mostly very boring but I did like the one by Robbie Dodah when he did the tidal Ouse but only because Fred the lockie asked if we would pen out in front of him and we got two seconds of fame. The one with those two dipsticks that think Bingley 5-rise should be shut down was mildly interesting if just to see how stupid they really are.

1 minute ago, Puffling said:

When someone comments "sad" it rarely means they are lachrymose about what they've recently witnessed. Instead, it is codified disapproval: "I don't like what you do or how you enjoy yourself."

Spirit of Christmas, indeed ?

To those critics: watching boating vlogs is not lessening your enjoyment of canal boating in any way. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I should add that it's not only "expatriots and home grown wannabe boaters" such as myself and pomkitanner who are consumers of such vlogs. Many boaters themselves (funny how you will find fewer on here, though, isn't it, given the tolerance?) are avid followers.

It actually means ......sad