Repair Shop

dave moore

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, IanD said:

But what is refreshing and uplifting about Repair Shop is that there's no money or profit-making or competition with winners and losers, just the joy of bringing old knackered treasures back to life ?

Fair enough, I do quite enjoy watching it, and there are some touching moments, such as when an elderly person gets a cherished childhood toy back in as -new condition.

Surely the experts don't give their labour free of charge? I assumed that they would be handsomely recompenses by the television company.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

It is also good to see the concept of actually mending something and the skills behind that.   Very refreshing in this throw away society.

That is indeed the most refreshing aspect of the programme, particularly as many of us would not have the patience and craftsmanship skills to achieve what these experts do. I admire their dedication and expertise.

Just now, Athy said:

Fair enough, I do quite enjoy watching it, and there are some touching moments, such as when an elderly person gets a cherished childhood toy back in as -new condition.

Surely the experts don't give their labour free of charge? I assumed that they would be handsomely recompenses by the television company.

Of course -- so does David Attenborough, but nobody accuses him of being in it for the money. What I meant is that there's no moneymaking as part of the programme -- so many programmes nowadays are rehashed versions of how to make money by buying cheap and selling dear, or beating other people, or both, which encourages people to think that these things are all that matters in life.

It's nice for a change to find one that's just about skillfully restoring old items for people who want to appreciate them, not sell them on at a profit.

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

Of course -- so does David Attenborough, but nobody accuses him of being in it for the money. What I meant is that there's no moneymaking as part of the programme -- so many programmes nowadays are rehashed versions of how to make money by buying cheap and selling dear, or beating other people, or both, which encourages people to think that these things are all that matters in life.

It's nice for a change to find one that's just about skillfully restoring old items for people who want to appreciate them, not sell them on at a profit.

Gotcha.

I used to really like this programme when it was first showing, in its half hour format.

It showed some remarkably talented people doing some exceptional repairs.

However lately it has just become a maudlin tear-fest.  Very little of the tricky restoration work is shown and it is all about extracting the maximum amount of tears and emotion.  Not what I watched it for.

However it is by all accounts now extremely popular so not much chance of getting back to the real restoration.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, IanD said:

But what is refreshing and uplifting about Repair Shop is that there's no money or profit-making or competition with winners and losers, just the joy of bringing old knackered treasures back to life ?

And some bloody good trades persons

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, dor said:

I used to really like this programme when it was first showing, in its half hour format.

It showed some remarkably talented people doing some exceptional repairs.

However lately it has just become a maudlin tear-fest.  Very little of the tricky restoration work is shown and it is all about extracting the maximum amount of tears and emotion.  Not what I watched it for.

However it is by all accounts now extremely popular so not much chance of getting back to the real restoration.

Agreed. The back story is getting in the way of the craft. It’s extremely irritating!!

It’s a difficult line to tread, similar to the canal programmes broadcast. They fail to satisfy the enthusiast but the producers have to try and engender wide public appeal. How this circle is squared, I don’t know. Like several responders, I bemoan the lack of footage of the interesting technical aspects of restoration, though I fear they’d be of little interest to Joe Public who may well be more interested in the emotional aspect of the storyline. Many years ago, I produced and presented a folk music programme on a local commercial radio station. It survived for 9 months before being axed, supposedly for financial reasons. I suspect my demands for minimal ad loads were closer to the truth.

Yes, the Craftmaster paint applied to the sled was another example of production pressure. Of course, a single coat will suffice for the camera. I could be wrong, but I suspect Jay Blades workshop in Wolverhampton was the abbatoir  I knew as a kid. Mother hailed from Wolverhampton....

32 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Craftsmaster paint being used in the episode on at the moment.

Extremely pink primer and olive drab top coat.

But it doesn't look like they have diluted the primer 50/50 with white spirit as per Craftsmaster's recommendations.

Just watched the restoration of the Jeep. To me looks like a bit of a rushed job, shot of primer runs, and the whole primer coat looked too thin, to my eyes anyway.

If the guy rebuilding the Jeep was working in an open barn I am not surprised, he must have been cold.

Overall though I am in awe of the skill of those involved.

To me it is lovely to see the joy of those on the receiving end of the restorations.

• Greenie 1

I (and Mrs 1st Ade) really love the show - but it's inconsistent

Maybe my background in electronics but I can't believe in the Christmas issue just shown that every single component of a valve "stereogram" was tested with a multimeter as was suggested. 9v across an HT smoothing condenser (sorry, capacitor) to see if it's OK to apply mains?

A previous episode showed the restoration of a home made radiogram - there was much footage of the manufacture of a small steel "bracket" to hold a PP3 battery - certainly not original

And increasingly leaves you thinking "how on earth did someone allow a treasured possession to get in that state"?

4 hours ago, 1st ade said:

And increasingly leaves you thinking "how on earth did someone allow a treasured possession to get in that state"?

This.   I often wonder "If it means so much to you, why did you leave it in a leaking shed for thirty years?"

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, 1st ade said:

I think they only become treasured when they get to that state, anything that is in pristine condition is not valued the same, it when it gets put away and forgotten about for years it suddenly becomes important to someone

48 minutes ago, dor said:

This.   I often wonder "If it means so much to you, why did you leave it in a leaking shed for thirty years?"

30 years ago it wasn't important

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

It's much the same with emulsion paint applied to bare plaster.  The first coat needs to be dluted with water to provide a sound undercoat for subsequent applications. 

Only for new bare plaster in my experience. In construction this is known as a mist coat, the extra water being added as new plaster will 'suck' some of the water out of the paint 

Edited by Tim Lewis

I sometimes wonder about the items the families ask to be restored. The neglected find from the attic or shed in appalling condition once restored becomes a very valuable antique.  How many go to auction or appear on eBay? afterwards.  The skill shown by the staff is mind blowing I have learnt a fair bit by watching.

Edited by Detling

On 23/12/2020 at 21:04, Man 'o Kent said:

It's that Jay(?) bloke that gets up my nose. Swans around, steals as much credit for other peoples graft as he can and I've yet to see him do a stroke of work.

Does he think he is management or something?

He's clearly been paid to co-ordinate and manage. He orders supplies, manages outsourcing - there's untold jobs that happen behind the scenes. Actually we do see him working, the man's a talented grafter.

10 hours ago, Ange said:

He's clearly been paid to co-ordinate and manage. He orders supplies, manages outsourcing - there's untold jobs that happen behind the scenes. Actually we do see him working, the man's a talented grafter.

The world, by and large, is divided into two sorts of people, them as does a good job and them as talks a good job.

57 minutes ago, Man 'o Kent said:

The world, by and large, is divided into two sorts of people, them as does a good job and them as talks a good job.

Jay, the manager, if that’s the right word, has a deserved good reputation as a gifted upholsterer. Hard to believe, I know, but some people can do both.

Edited by Stilllearning