Repair Shop

dave moore

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Just watching The Repair Shop. The Sled I’d being painted with colleague and friend Phil Speight’s Craftmaster Red.Fame !

Ooh, just tuned in - my eyes are peeled! 

Ah, now Will is doing a bit of lining in on the green bit of the sled. He's a handy lad indeed, but I think he should have got you in for that bit Dave! ;)

Edited by Sea Dog

33 minutes ago, big d said:

I heard on the work grape vine that it’s bloody cold in that barn and you can often see the craftsmen’s breath while working. Jay thought the answer to where do futons originate from? Was Sweden! He’s a furniture expert 

Futons come from IKEA don’t they?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, big d said:

I heard on the work grape vine that it’s bloody cold in that barn and you can often see the craftsmen’s breath while working. Jay thought the answer to where do futons originate from? Was Sweden! He’s a furniture expert 

Jay Blades is indeed a very well respected furniture restorer who has moved his business from Hackney to Wolverhampton.  He's been involved in other tv programmes like "Money for nothing"  and "Home Fix" which is on BBC Iplayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000jk9d/jay-blades-home-fix-series-1-episode-1

The Jay Blade guy makes me giggle. On Money For Nothing he invariably gets a wee chair, rubs it down and paints the legs different colours, that'l be £50, ta. I have no doubt he is highly talented but we don't see much evidence of it on tele.

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

I winced at that too.....typical TV....all show and no prep!

Its probably water based and a number of those claim "no need to prime". I can't see the TV company happy with wet oil paint sitting about and the time needed for a multi-coat process with 16 hours between coats.

1 minute ago, colmac said:

The Jay Blade guy makes me giggle. On Money For Nothing he invariably gets a wee chair, rubs it down and paints the legs different colours, that'l be £50, ta. I have no doubt he is highly talented but we don't see much evidence of it on tele.

Its Money for Nothing that gets me. Tart up a bit of junk in questionable taste and find a mug to buy it. I find very few of the final results worth giving house room.

52 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Its probably water based and a number of those claim "no need to prime". I can't see the TV company happy with wet oil paint sitting about and the time needed for a multi-coat process with 16 hours between coats.

It was Craftmaster enamel as others have said....very much oil based and a 16 hour dry time!....but just the usual TV cover up job.....no thought to the longevity if it looks good on camera!

14 hours ago, Man 'o Kent said:

It's that Jay(?) bloke that gets up my nose. Swans around, steals as much credit for other peoples graft as he can and I've yet to see him do a stroke of work.

Does he think he is management or something?

I think you will find that he does exactly what the producers ask of him. He's the front man after all.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

I think you will find that he does exactly what the producers ask of him. He's the front man after all.

And a good one, for an excellent programme which shows some fantastic craftsmanship (and women) as well as feelgood and a bit of tear-jerking... ?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, jake_crew said:

If you see the tractor in the background,  its probably my brother in law driving.   Though it's been dressed up for tv, it's a centuries old barn designed to be draughty.   Dom must be frozen solid in his shanty outside. 

They are always well wrapped up often wearing mitts

We sometimes watch it, but are fans of a series with a kindred subject, 'Salvage Hunters'. Now that has, in Drew Pritchard, a a presenter who really knows his antiques and who has a most personable manner on screen.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

We sometimes watch it, but are fans of a series with a kindred subject, 'Salvage Hunters'. Now that has, in Drew Pritchard, a a presenter who really knows his antiques and who has a most personable manner on screen.

Opposite here, I see him as a typical dealer and will buy as cheap as possible especially if the seller doesn't know what they have and sell it for a big a profit as possible.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Opposite here, I see him as a typical dealer and will buy as cheap as possible especially if the seller doesn't know what they have and sell it for a big a profit as possible.

Yes, he is a businessman and ergo he's in business to make a profit, but his appreciation and knowledge of the items he unearths are plain to see.

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, he is a businessman and ergo he's in business to make a profit, but his appreciation and knowledge of the items he unearths are plain to see.

But what is refreshing and uplifting about Repair Shop is that there's no money or profit-making or competition with winners and losers, just the joy of bringing old knackered treasures back to life ?

• Greenie 4

57 minutes ago, Athy said:

Quite often Drew pays more than the Seller asks as they know nowt. He’s a multi millionaire and deserves to be. ‘T’ is an odd character.

I have admired the Repair Shop for years. They are all brilliant in what they do. Not unique but talented.

21 minutes ago, IanD said:

But what is refreshing and uplifting about Repair Shop is that there's no money or profit-making or competition with winners and losers, just the joy of bringing old knackered treasures back to life ?

It is also good to see the concept of actually mending something and the skills behind that.   Very refreshing in this throw away society.

• Greenie 2