Berkhamsted to Stretton Stop - Feb 2021: crew needed

stort_mark

Featured Posts

I need to move my boat up to Stretton Stop for repainting, from Berko area, some time in February. Boat is a two-berth 45' tug-style with Ruston & Hornsby engine but accommodation is basic. The boat is cosy and there is space for beer. And some food. I will pay for food/beer - probably mainly eating at pubs.

The trip is obviously subject to the restrictions imposed for coronavirus and I need to think through whether covid tests are needed as not practical to socially-distance on a narrowboat.

Looking for one other person to share the steering, locking, drinking. Some flexibility in dates but probably in early Feb.

I expect the trip to take about 5 to 6 days, give or take, as I prefer not to belt along. 

Happy for inexperienced/first-timer as long as cheerful.

It's planned as a relaxing winter trip. Return will be a few weeks later in a much smarter version of the same boat.

Edited by stort_mark

Good luck with your journey. I have frankly lost count of what's restricted or banned, when and where, but I wonder if your plan to eat in pubs will be feasible.

A 45 foot trad with a vintage engine? Whoever would want a boat like that?

Edited by Athy

?

I realise the 'eating in pubs' bit might not be feasible but at this stage, I can't tell what is going to be feasible. The boat has the usual cooking facilities but preference would be to eat in pubs and Michelin-starred restaurants.

As for all the covid restrictions, obviously I have no idea what the landscape will be like by then. It might not even be possible to go to the boat. We'll see.

I have the option to have the boat moved for me but it's an interesting trip so I'd far rather do it myself. And these days I'm too lazy/tired to single all those broad locks.

• Greenie 1

I don't want to be pessimistic but unless things ease considerably you won't be able to travel will you?    Isn't Berkhamsted in Tier 4?   If so no travelling into or out of the area, I gather from something I heard on TV the other day this is due to become law.

Subject to the state of the world in February and the state of my work diary (dormant since April 2020...), I could be tempted; that bit of the GU is my old stomping ground and it'd be nice to see it again. I spend a lot of my spare time sleeping on the sides of hills and mountains of wildly varying sizes, so I don't think the accommodation will be a problem ?

• 3 months later...
On 23/12/2020 at 19:30, stort_mark said:

I need to move my boat up to Stretton Stop for repainting, from Berko area, some time in February. Boat is a two-berth 45' tug-style with Ruston & Hornsby engine but accommodation is basic. The boat is cosy and there is space for beer. And some food. I will pay for food/beer - probably mainly eating at pubs.

The trip is obviously subject to the restrictions imposed for coronavirus and I need to think through whether covid tests are needed as not practical to socially-distance on a narrowboat.

Looking for one other person to share the steering, locking, drinking. Some flexibility in dates but probably in early Feb.

I expect the trip to take about 5 to 6 days, give or take, as I prefer not to belt along. 

Happy for inexperienced/first-timer as long as cheerful.

It's planned as a relaxing winter trip. Return will be a few weeks later in a much smarter version of the same boat.