Narrowboat stern access door arrangement

Telstar

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

Surely the answer to this is to have a large hole in the steps, below the level of the door threshold, draining into the engine bilge, so that if the steps sump pump does get blocked (or the pump fails) then at least the rainwater goes the same place as that which leaks around the stern deck boards, and keeps the cabin bilge dry.

Morning David

You appear to have read the last part of my post, but missed the first, here's a few more pics. You can see in the first one the box which is the steps and the box below which collects any rainwater which comes down the steps, this 'box' has a dedicated bilge pump. The overhead shot shows the hole at the bottom of the steps which is 1 inch below the door threshold. At the moment, the deck drainage is so good that the cabin bilge stays dry ?

Kevin

P1020073.JPG

P1020084.JPG

P1020126.JPG

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

The overhead shot shows the hole at the bottom of the steps which is 1 inch below the door threshold. At the moment, the deck drainage is so good that the cabin bilge stays dry ?

Kevin

P1020126.JPG

That is exactly the sort of arrangement we had on our 'Millenium' NB, with a similar sized hole (the boat we bought as 'sunk-recovered')

Leaves tend to be 'carried by the flow' of water and end up sat on top of the hole, it really doesn't take many leaves to seal the hole.

I'm pleased for you that you have so far had no problem, but I'd suggest that you look at fabricating / buying a wire 'frame'  to sit over the hole (something like the thing that goes in the top of downpipes) if you are leaving the boat for lengthy periods in Autumn.

Gutter down pipe leaf guard wire balloon 100 mm (4") | eBay

You could also possibly adapt the 'gutter brush'

BEST QUALITY GUTTER BRUSH GUARD BLACK 100mm LOCK-DOWN DELIVERY LOWEST PRICES!!!! | eBay

Our current Cruiser has 1" scuppers in the deck draining thru and out of the hull - last Autumn was horrendous as the local Oak trees were dropping not only leaves but big Acorns and the scupper was getting blocked everyday - fortunately we were on board until the end of October so could keep them cleared.

s-l1600.jpg

BEST-QUALITY-GUTTER-BRUSH-GUARD-BLACK-100mm-LOCK-DOWN-DELIVERY-LOWEST-PRICES

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Leaves tend to be 'carried by the flow' of water and end up sat on top of the hole, it really doesn't take many leaves to seal the hole.

Thanks Alan, at the moment I go almost every week, sometimes every 2 weeks and I'm able to keep the bottom step clean, I have been thinking about adapting the 'hedgehog brush' as it is something I use at home. It has also been suggested by boat safety man that I drill another couple of holes a couple of inch either side of the main centre one, this should help if I'm away from boat for a prolonged period.

As long as people are aware this could happen with leaves, and they take precautions, for me, I felt the benefits outweighed the problems.

Kevin