R. Nene warning

Dav and Pen

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

I've just been down to Cogenhoe. I'm sure some of the caravans on the river side have a couple of feet of water beneath therm as usual when it floods, but the water isn't even over the banks at the moorings along the mill stream. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about? One idiot's tied his boat up too tightly but it's really not a catastrophe.

I've only been on the Nene for 4 years but I can't help thinking that some people get into a panic over a little bit of flooding. If you want to see real flooding try living on the Warks Avon or the Thames.

Cogenhoe Mill at 8am. I'd quite happily be moored here now.

IMG_20201224_075152.jpg

IMG_20201224_075145.jpg

Edit:I think part of the problem is that some boaters are ill-equipped. Half the people at billing don't even own a pair of wellies to get them across the 5" of water at the ramp onto and off of the pontoons.

When we moored at Billing I was piggy backing the kids through flood waters to get them to school whereas others saw it as the perfect excuse to have time off work.....the management there aren't the most sympathetic to moorers being stuck on the pontoons. Don't really miss it.

2 hours ago, stagedamager said:

When we moored at Billing I was piggy backing the kids through flood waters to get them to school whereas others saw it as the perfect excuse to have time off work.....the management there aren't the most sympathetic to moorers being stuck on the pontoons. Don't really miss it.

The management here aren't the most sympathetic to their moorers full stop, but I'm not sure what they're supposed to do about preventing the water levels from rising when it rains incessantly for a couple of days?

Boaters need to take personal responsibility and make preparations for what are infrequent but fairly regular meteorological events, especially those who live aboard. But so many don't, and seem unaware that by definition preparations need to be made in advance. Once a river goes into flood it's too late to do much.

The big advantage we have over land based dwellers in a flood is that we float, so  if you're at a safe mooring then flooding really shouldn't be a big issue if you're prepared. But when I see people take on the lifestyle who refuse to plan ahead and prepare and then I have to admit I'm not the most sympathetic either.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just seen photos from the Middle Level at Bill Fen 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NarrowboatOwnersGroup/permalink/2858745274403742/

That's bad. It looks high enough that it might have overtopped the gate, or maybe it wasn't shut or wouldn't seal?

MP.

40 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The management here aren't the most sympathetic to their moorers full stop, but I'm not sure what they're supposed to do about preventing the water levels from rising when it rains incessantly for a couple of days?

Boaters need to take personal responsibility and make preparations for what are infrequent but fairly regular meteorological events, especially those who live aboard. But so many don't, and seem unaware that by definition preparations need to be made in advance. Once a river goes into flood it's too late to do much.

The big advantage we have over land based dwellers in a flood is that we float, so  if you're at a safe mooring then flooding really shouldn't be a big issue if you're prepared. But when I see people take on the lifestyle who refuse to plan ahead and prepare and then I have to admit I'm not the most sympathetic either.

I think it was the moment the reception staff stuck their heads out of the window and pointed and laughed whilst offering no support that was the clincher. They don't and have never cared about them, the pontoons were in a dangerous state, pump outs only available on days that don't end in a Y and if you sneezed out of line you got the call of shame from the office ..... 

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Pretty sure they dont allow the boaters to stay on board when they do a full evacuation of Billing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-55440971

Certainly I havnt seen the water covering the fields like it is near Weedon since 2007

Edited by matty40s

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

Not good on the GT Ouse either. ...St Ives....above previous highest levels.

Screenshot_20201224-232328_Chrome.jpg

Our son lives at Godmanchester. A lot of the town has been flooded, not from rising waters from the river but from run off from the higher ground taking the easiest route to the river.

Fortunately his house just a foot or do higher.

On 23/12/2020 at 19:03, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Skin is waterproof. The Romans conquered Britain up to modern Cumbria and Northumbria wearing sandals. When they went further north than that, the chilblains and frostbite drove them back.

Not strictly true.  There are plenty examples of Roman marching boots discovered at Vindolanda near Hadrian's Wall.  There's also the famous letter asking for socks (and underpants) to be sent.

Knee deep (1 1/2’) at Peterborough yacht club. 

all of the middle Nene has suffered extensive flooding from Thrapston to Orton

All boats safe at PYC, Orton Sluice is wide open - levels have peaked but a fair amount of water to shift yet. All of the fields on higher ground of the Nene valley are absolutely saturated.

Thoughts to all who have been flooded (including my Mother In Law - first time since Easter 1998) 

• Greenie 1

On 24/12/2020 at 08:10, blackrose said:

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about? One idiot's tied his boat up too tightly but it's really not a catastrophe.

I've only been on the Nene for 4 years but I can't help thinking that some people get into a panic over a little bit of flooding. If you want to see real flooding try living on the Warks Avon or the Thames.

Great Ouse highest levels on record, Nene, all sorts of problems all the way down over Christmas, Cherwell flooding Banbury again, with tonight's deluge still to come.

People adapt to the norms of the rivers they live on and around, an event of the other days rainfall on already saturated ground can catch even the prepared out. 

You obviously felt Billing was a safer place to be than your normal mooring, but almost had to spend the night in an evacuation centre.....one of our former forum members had her boat sunk there.

All rivers deserve respect and forward planning, but you can only do so much against increasingly abnormal weather events as the climate changes.

• Greenie 1

River Level just below the stop planks at Foxes, pump has been going day and night, Water came over the stop planks on Christmas Night,

All marina walkways were under water that morning. Two of the overstayers on the town moorings have sunk. Both have no insurance    

16 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Both have no insurance    

Presumably by the owners choice. They made (presuamably) an informed decision and decided the risk was manageable. Its gone wrong for them. It was a bad decision.

Whilst feeling sorry for them, the choice was theirs & no doubt we will now see a "begging page" set up to fund their new boats.

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably by the owners choice. They made (presuamably) an informed decision and decided the risk was manageable. Its gone wrong for them. It was a bad decision.

Whilst feeling sorry for them, the choice was theirs & no doubt we will now see a "begging page" set up to fund their new boats.

And then I suddenly remember why I don’t post here very much.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

That must have been taken a couple of days before we were there.

Post #13 taken 16th June 2019.

ETA I love the way Lincoln Cathedral stands out on the horizon.

Ah, sorry to miss that earlier post. Your approach looks more comfortable than mine. 

Here's another shot of Lincoln, taken from Boston Stump. Under the yellow arrow.

dscf6112_linc1.jpg

Saw a Great Ouse mooring today where the top of the car parked at the mooring wasn't much above the gunnel of the associated boat, and think wading past that has to be the worst uphill approach to a mooring, at least whilst your boat is still afloat and on the original river channel.

I dont have a car to wreck but am still quite glad I didn't bring my boat down here for Christmas.

On 24/12/2020 at 22:50, gazza said:

No issues with flooding in Northamptonshire ??‍♂️

That's right, no real issues if your home floats and you're at a safe mooring. We at least have some control of our situation if we're prepared.

The real issues are for the unfortunate people who live in land based dwellings and static riverside caravans who get flooded out. There's really not much they can do.

Edited by blackrose

The little river Ise came well over at Newbottle bridge, had to turn around and go another way but I stopped and chatted with the farmer he'd had to bring his loader as the flood had been so fierce that it knocked over his concrete entrance bollards, and his dredging's from the ditch had been washed every where.