R. Nene warning

Dav and Pen

Featured Posts

Local information is that the Nene is about to flood at Gogenhoe  mill. Not surprising really as we’ve had lots of rain and now it’s pouring again. The little brook in the village which feeds into one of the Nene feeders is a torrent. Stay safe everyone.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

I don't think I'd want to be on any river without a flood-safe mooring right now.  The Severn has been over the banks at Worcester for a few days now.  The river pontoon at Diglis no longer has a ramp leading down to it.  More a horizontal bridge.

Horizontal isn't so bad.  It's uphill to the pontoon that's worrying!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Local information is that the Nene is about to flood at Gogenhoe  mill. Not surprising really as we’ve had lots of rain and now it’s pouring again. The little brook in the village which feeds into one of the Nene feeders is a torrent. Stay safe everyone.

I came through Flore earlier and the river was already over the road at Flore Mill.

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Our posty had his shorts on today, I understand his legs dry faster than trouser legs 

Skin is waterproof. The Romans conquered Britain up to modern Cumbria and Northumbria wearing sandals. When they went further north than that, the chilblains and frostbite drove them back.

26 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Skin is waterproof. The Romans conquered Britain up to modern Cumbria and Northumbria wearing sandals. When they went further north than that, the chilblains and frostbite drove them back.

...and midges.

The fields below us are now underwater....just downstream of Weedon, been raining for getting on for 24 hours now, with another few hours of heavy rain to come.

I would say that roland wont be able to get out of his village at the other end by now.

Anyone thinking this is something to be laughed off - think again.

we have ad a prolonged period of rain, at times heavy leading up to today’s vertical bummer.

Grafton Underwood stream feeds into the Nene at Islip, the stream is very nearly at Easter ‘98 levels and continuing to rise. There has barely been a let up in the rain all day. 

I walked the MIL’s dog at 11am, by 3pm the dog would have been swimming rather than walking the same route, Driving home we made it around the back of Boughton House in to Geddington, one dead Mini was the only casualty. No way that route is passible now, the stream hadn’t made it onto the road through the village at that time. By 5pm it was well over the road.

My wife had 40 minutes added to her normal 15 minute drive from work to home, in the hour between 15:30 and 16:30 the old A43 became impassable  between Geddington and Stanion at the Little Oakley junction.

I wait with baited breath how we get on at Tier 4 Peterborough when this lot makes its way downstream at a rapid rate of knots.

Anyone on the road - if you don’t think you can get through floodwater don’t! Your best off stuck with a working car rather than stuck with a dead one!

Edited by gazza

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

...and midges.

The fields below us are now underwater....just downstream of Weedon, been raining for getting on for 24 hours now, with another few hours of heavy rain to come.

I would say that roland wont be able to get out of his village at the other end by now.

Are you suggesting I might need mudguards on my bike to ride to the boat to pump her out later?

18 hours ago, Loddon said:

I guess @blackrose is going to have a busy week.

I'm at Billing for winter on floating pontoons. Liveaboards aren't allowed to stay at Cogenhoe all year round but there are some negotiations going on so that may change. The ramp to get off the pontoons at billing is flooded, I think it's wellies to get on and off so no big drama. I've never seen the village side of the mill stream at Cogenhoe with water over the bank, it's usually the caravan side next to the main river that floods. I might go and have a look today when it gets light.

Edited by blackrose

I've just been down to Cogenhoe. I'm sure some of the caravans on the river side have a couple of feet of water beneath therm as usual when it floods, but the water isn't even over the banks at the moorings along the mill stream. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about? One idiot's tied his boat up too tightly but it's really not a catastrophe.

I've only been on the Nene for 4 years but I can't help thinking that some people get into a panic over a little bit of flooding. If you want to see real flooding try living on the Warks Avon or the Thames.

Cogenhoe Mill at 8am. I'd quite happily be moored here now.

IMG_20201224_075152.jpg

IMG_20201224_075145.jpg

Edit:I think part of the problem is that some boaters are ill-equipped. Half the people at billing don't even own a pair of wellies to get them across the 5" of water at the ramp onto and off of the pontoons.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

There is a LOT more water to come down yet.

Its deffo regional int it old bean. Its highest Ive ever seen it here at this precise location. On tut towpath and impassable bottom side of lock, river now a lake int field next to us. Bright sunny day today with no rain for a change.

19 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Don’t see what all the fuss is about.

Lots of water still running off the hills here and flooding in villages upstream. The nene rises quickly and goes down quickly as well providing no more rain thanks to all the work done by the old Nene catchment board. Friends in St James were out of their house for 3 years after the 98 flood .

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, matty40s said:

...and midges.

Na! 'Twas because they encountered a better civilisation than their own. One with a modest amount of common sense

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

There is a LOT more water to come down yet.

Yes I realise that. It's usually 18 -20 hours after it stops raining before river levels start to subside. At billing it's gone up about another foot since this morning but anyone with a pair of waders should be able to get to and from their boats without a problem. The fire brigade have arrived and everyone seems to be standing on the bridge to the pontoons debating the issue.

They do seem to overreact here compared to other rivers I've moored on which flood much worse than the Nene.

Now they're trying to bodge some sort wooden platform so that people can get across, when all they really needed to do was be prepared and buy themselves a pair of waders in advance.

2 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Lots of water still running off the hills here and flooding in villages upstream. The nene rises quickly and goes down quickly as well providing no more rain thanks to all the work done by the old Nene catchment board. Friends in St James were out of their house for 3 years after the 98 flood .

I wouldn't count on no more rain. I think they'll be plenty more on boxing day.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1