C&RT Spend £1 million on Leicester Canal

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

From NBW

CaRT to spend £1 million on Leicester waterway

PUBLISHED: WEDNESDAY, 23 DECEMBER 2020

THE Canal & River Trust tells that 'Leicester's waterways are to benefit from a £1 million programme of improvements'.

These improvements are to start this month on the Grand Union Canal, with the Trust stating: 'That as well as being of benefit to boaters, the works will make it easier for people living and working nearby to 'feel the health and well-being benefits of being by water and provide a welcome boost to the local economy', Alan tilbury reports.

Here are the 'benefit to boaters':

The first phase of the project will see 1.5km of towpath improved between Kings Lock and Aylestone Mill Bridge, that will be widened and given an all-weather surface.

Better access points are to be created at Packhorse Bridge, to link in with wider improvements being made in the area.

A new path will be built to provide a boost for local businesses with links to Everards Meadow.

Then a project starts in January with work to be carried out to Blue Bank Bridge, which is being resurfaced.

There are plans to create better access from the bridge down onto the canal towpath.

And there will be new signs.

5 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

And if there is any money left over,we might think about fixing a leaky lock gate or two.

They are fixing half a lock through Leicester this winter. What are you complaining about?

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And there will be new signs.

But of course.

4 minutes ago, andy3196 said:

Or you could read the original CRT news item at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/gbp1-million-improvement-of-leicesters-waterways-gets-under-way which doesn't conveniently omit the locations of the new moorings that are part of th eproject

Some good stuff for boaters there. I retract my cynical reply number 3.

Jen

12 minutes ago, andy3196 said:

Or you could read the original CRT news item at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/gbp1-million-improvement-of-leicesters-waterways-gets-under-way which doesn't conveniently omit the locations of the new moorings that are part of th eproject

And also mentioned the source of the funding "The improvements are being funded through the Local Growth Fund following a successful bid by the Leicester and Leicestershire Enterprise Partnership (LLEP), Leicester City Council and the Trust.".

I don't expect they would have received funding if they asked for money to repair some leaky gates.

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Some good stuff for boaters there. I retract my cynical reply number 3.

Jen

Those moorings have been there almost 2 years and already had residents this Summer.

5 hours ago, Jon johan said:

It would be nice if the canal and river trust acknowledged the financial input from the local council.

We are about to begin a £1 million programme of works that will improve the Leicester Line of the Grand Union Canal. As well as being of benefit to boaters, the works will make it easier for people living and working nearby to feel the health and wellbeing benefits of being by water and provide a welcome boost to the local economy. 

The improvements are being funded through the Local Growth Fund following a successful bid by the Leicester and Leicestershire Enterprise Partnership (LLEP), Leicester City Council and the Trust

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The improvements are being funded through the Local Growth Fund following a successful bid by the Leicester and Leicestershire Enterprise Partnership (LLEP), Leicester City Council and the Trust

You'll ruin his rant if you keep bringing facts into it ...

24 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Those moorings have been there almost 2 years and already had residents this Summer.

We are about to begin a £1 million programme of works that will improve the Leicester Line of the Grand Union Canal. As well as being of benefit to boaters, the works will make it easier for people living and working nearby to feel the health and wellbeing benefits of being by water and provide a welcome boost to the local economy. 

Ah yah. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I see now that I can expand the article via the title. Thank you.

13 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You'll ruin his rant if you keep bringing facts into it ...

What rant would that be then?

[Love it here, so much armchair drama from the occupants]

Edited by Jon johan

1 hour ago, Jon johan said:

Ah yah. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I see now that I can expand the article via the title. Thank you.

What rant would that be then?

[Love it here, so much armchair drama from the occupants]

It's not drama, it's dance. A rant is a kind of a double hop, tapping your other foot in between each hop.

I always like to clear these thing up.

PS if you need to go a bit faster, you need to do a polka. Which I think is a Polish Lister, though I'm not sure. Air cooled, anyway.

13 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's not drama, it's dance. A rant is a kind of a double hop, tapping your other foot in between each hop.

I always like to clear these thing up.

PS if you need to go a bit faster, you need to do a polka. Which I think is a Polish Lister, though I'm not sure. Air cooled, anyway.

So is that a rant like a North-West one in clogs where the front foot taps the ground at the same time as the back one lands, or a North-East one like that danced to Morpeth Rant where the two are syncopated? I always like to clear these things up... ?

Also, in my experience both are normally beer cooled.