Just for fun - film titles with a narrowboat theme.

Cruiser_Boy

Featured Posts

Some popular canal films (with acknowledgements to www.jannock.org.uk):

From here to Etruria

The 39 locks

Carry on Cruising

Bridge over the River Wye

Gone with the windlass

Depth in Little Venice

Hard days flight

Fanny by Gas Street

Lock, Stuck & Two Smokin'Windlasses

Steering Miss Daisy

Goodbye Lister chips

All the President's men

Wuthering Flights

Previous thread:

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Wind in the Willows       (Wine-d, not Win-d)

Why is it that the assumption that 'wind' - as used for turning about around - has been assumed to be pronounced win-d not wine-d? There are no records of the sounds from back when the term first arose - I assume not long after canals became widespread, or is there evidence of it used on river navigations? 

I keep asking (but only get looks down their noses from those who believe they know better) because what we do know fairly reliably is that the word 'wind' for air that moves has changed in pronunciation, as I understand it. Shakespeare made it rhyme with wine-d (eg unkind) unless all of those words have changed to rhyme with win-d. 

The simple fact is that we do not know for certain and the best we can do is informed induction.

So what's the evidence for win-d on the canals? (especially as some doubt the story that boats were routinely turned around by moving air)

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Why is it that the assumption that 'wind' - as used for turning about around - has been assumed to be pronounced win-d not wine-d? There are no records of the sounds from back when the term first arose - I assume not long after canals became widespread, or is there evidence of it used on river navigations? 

I keep asking (but only get looks down their noses from those who believe they know better) because what we do know fairly reliably is that the word 'wind' for air that moves has changed in pronunciation, as I understand it. Shakespeare made it rhyme with wine-d (eg unkind) unless all of those words have changed to rhyme with win-d. 

The simple fact is that we do not know for certain and the best we can do is informed induction.

So what's the evidence for win-d on the canals? (especially as some doubt the story that boats were routinely turned around by moving air)

I have always 'assumed' (dangerous !) that wind ( as in turning around) was pronounced wind as in turning a key to 'wind' a clock