Orchard Marina

haggis

Featured Posts

Just idle curiosity! Does anyone know if Orchard Marina near Broken Cross at the top of the Trent and Mersey has reopened after being dredged ? We moor in park farm marina and many of the orchard Marina boats took up temporary residence with us  and the work seemed to be taking a lot longer than planned. 

Has Orchard marina reopened , does anyone know? I tried to find their web site but it looked as if the domain name was for resale. 

Haggis.

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Last I heard there was one digger and one small dump truck playing at removing dredging, very slowly. it may well be taking a lot longer yet.

Thanks for the info. That about sums up what seemed to be happening when last we were at the boat in October. I know some of the live aboard s who were in park farm were not happy to be away from their own marina and friends for do long. 

Both marinas are apparently owned by the same guy and the rumour was that lots of money would be spent on park farm next. It will be time for is to move on then as we don't need or want tearooms etc.

Haggis

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

Both marinas are apparently owned by the same guy and the rumour was that lots of money would be spent on park farm next. It will be time for is to move on then as we don't need or want tearooms etc.

Haggis

I know the feeling 

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

What's wrong with Park Farm Marina then?

Nothing! Chatting to some of the orchard Marina folk they are missing where they moored and their friends they moored beside.  Others seemed quite happy to be in park farm so I think some will stay while others go back.

Haggis

• Greenie 1

Walked past today

Pilling finished, water now about 18inches below where it should be, most of the heavy equipment no longer there. Looks like they are concentrating on the new office/facilities bloc.

Most of the stuff that was dredged out is now on the field at the end.

• Greenie 1

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Still not open, lots of moorers still in Park Farm Marina.  I like it as a marina its not so bad, good parking, some work or storage sheds.

Heard tell that several have no licences, just gossip?

Isn't Orchard one of the marinas where you don't need a licence?  Dunno about Park Farm, but probably the Orchard moorers have just continued as before.  Surprised CRT didn't jump on them when they had to mlove.

You do need a licence in Park Farm. Don't know about Orchard but as you say, if you don't need a licence when you moor there the decamped boaters might not have one.  There are a few "orchard" boats beside kelpie in Park Farm and I expect they are all still there. 

Haggis

Doing some Googling, Orchard Marina was built in 1989. Was that before the NAA was introduced ? I must admit I have never heard it mentioned when folk have listed marinas where you don't need a licence. 

haggis

On 21/12/2020 at 14:53, haggis said:

Just idle curiosity! Does anyone know if Orchard Marina near Broken Cross at the top of the Trent and Mersey has reopened after being dredged ? ...

On 21/12/2020 at 17:15, Pie Eater said:

Last time we went past (September) it had all been dug out but there was no sign of any jetties.

On 21/12/2020 at 17:17, haggis said:

I think they were still digging, slowly, in late October ?

On 26/12/2020 at 22:28, sueanddaren said:

Walked past today. Pilling finished, water now about 18inches below where it should be, ...Most of the stuff that was dredged out is now on the field at the end.

From passing early September 2020

P9078938s.jpg.cb7f18707c1670a6fd8488c2d2ffe947.jpg

P9078945s.jpg.c18be05700fe8552896ddcccce26b3dd.jpg

wondered whether this was a temporary or permanent place for all the dredgings

21 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

From passing early September 2020

P9078938s.jpg.cb7f18707c1670a6fd8488c2d2ffe947.jpg

P9078945s.jpg.c18be05700fe8552896ddcccce26b3dd.jpg

wondered whether this was a temporary or permanent place for all the dredgings

Good question and we probably all know the answer ? .  I assume that the ground belongs to the marina.

haggis

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Doing some Googling, Orchard Marina was built in 1989. Was that before the NAA was introduced ? I must admit I have never heard it mentioned when folk have listed marinas where you don't need a licence. 

haggis

Looking back, I see that I have made this assertion several times before on these forums, but can find no evidence to back it up!  Apologies if I'm wrong.