Signwriting

Featured Posts

Hi all, new member so forgive if a bit clunky. I would appreciate some advice on getting a decent signwriter to do naming & a little bow decoration on a new boat. Any recommendations would be welcome. Boat's located in the Cheshire area. Thx

This was asked the other day by someone else.

Andy Russel. Based at Braidbar Boats in Poynton. He's good, very good in fact.

Gibbo

Hi all, new member so forgive if a bit clunky. I would appreciate some advice on getting a decent signwriter to do naming & a little bow decoration on a new boat. Any recommendations would be welcome. Boat's located in the Cheshire area. Thx

Welcome to the forum, NarrowJack

Lots to read on here :-)

Nick

This was asked the other day by someone else.

Andy Russel. Based at Braidbar Boats in Poynton. He's good, very good in fact.

Gibbo

Thanks for the tip. Getting a good signwriter without very long notice is proving tougher than I would have thought

Thanks for the tip. Getting a good signwriter without very long notice is proving tougher than I would have thought

you can always go the stick-on vinyl lettering route. Try "Sacboatnames" on the web. they have lots of fancy designs and squirly things

Nantwich. Did put this in my details but....

I've just realised that we'd already already contacted the chap kindly recomended by Gibbo, but he hasn't reponded to our query. I guess he's either too busy to respond or is work rich at the moment & is in the pleasant position of being able to ignore queries.

The one quote I've been able to get so far seems very steep, but then I've nothing to compare it with yet.

Considered going the vinyl route, but thought I'd like to go trad & put some money the way of a craftsman, even though I know it'll cost me. However I didn't realise that perhaps the folk still engaged in traditional signwriting are now so few(?) that they can afford to pick/choose & come very expensive. Again, a nice place to be.

Hi Jack,

The only reason why I ask is because I know a bloke who did my parents boat and I'm in the short waiting list for him to signwrite the name, and do the fancy bits etc on my boat.

He's not a fully fledged or well known canal boat painter but he has years of experience in the sign writing business... but he does a spot on job at a very reasonable price. The only problem is, is that he doesn't (can't) drive and so will only accept local jobs because of this.

If you would like me to pass his number onto you then please let me know - you may be able to sort something out between yourselves and Nantwich isn't that far away I guess.

Nantwich. Did put this in my details but....

I've just realised that we'd already already contacted the chap kindly recomended by Gibbo, but he hasn't reponded to our query. I guess he's either too busy to respond or is work rich at the moment & is in the pleasant position of being able to ignore queries.

The one quote I've been able to get so far seems very steep, but then I've nothing to compare it with yet.

Considered going the vinyl route, but thought I'd like to go trad & put some money the way of a craftsman, even though I know it'll cost me. However I didn't realise that perhaps the folk still engaged in traditional signwriting are now so few(?) that they can afford to pick/choose & come very expensive. Again, a nice place to be.

Welcome.

I have say ; if a signwriter is a GOOD signwriter who has spent years honing his skills to the point that he/she can demand a top price you need to apply the " 40% for doing it and 60% for knowning how to do it properly" theorum. Mind you , I`m biased.

Cheers

Phil