Aire & Calder Breach

Joe Bourke

Featured Posts

Here is some further info about the breach I found lurking in the depths of the CRT web site. This info has not been sent out as an email and does not appear on the stoppage list.

Update 24/03/21

The Trust and its contractors are in the final stages of making the cofferdam watertight, to enable the cofferdam to be dewatered. We anticipate that our engineers will be able to carry out the first detailed inspection at the breach site shortly after Easter. Water levels continue to be carefully monitored. While passage through Goole Caission is not possible at present, the Trust is working hard to ensure boaters can once again pass between Pollington and Sykehouse Lock. We intend to operate this on a booking only basis from 12 April (in line with the Government road map). 

So it is now over three months since the breach and they STILL haven't managed to get two dams in place. They are going to carry out the FIRST detailed inspection in another couple of weeks if that's what "shortly after Easter" means.

I think we are going to have to put pressure on ABP to allow leisure craft stuck in Goole to escape via the Ouse.

Edited by Alway Swilby

8 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Here is some further info about the breach I found lurking in the depths of the CRT web site. This info has not been sent out as an email and does not appear on the stoppage list.

Update 24/03/21

The Trust and its contractors are in the final stages of making the cofferdam watertight, to enable the cofferdam to be dewatered. We anticipate that our engineers will be able to carry out the first detailed inspection at the breach site shortly after Easter. Water levels continue to be carefully monitored. While passage through Goole Caission is not possible at present, the Trust is working hard to ensure boaters can once again pass between Pollington and Sykehouse Lock. We intend to operate this on a booking only basis from 12 April (in line with the Government road map). 

So it is now over three months since the breach and they STILL haven't managed to get two dams in place. They are going to carry out the FIRST detailed inspection in another couple of weeks if that's what "shortly after Easter" means.

I think we are going to have to put pressure on ABP to allow leisure craft stuck in Goole to escape via the Ouse.

Don't quote me but doesn't the ABP Notice suggest that anyone needing to 'escape' should ask?   If water levels are now more reliable (I think the east piling height is to be or is being raised) maybe it will be less of a problem. 

47 minutes ago, fanshaft said:

Don't quote me but doesn't the ABP Notice suggest that anyone needing to 'escape' should ask?   If water levels are now more reliable (I think the east piling height is to be or is being raised) maybe it will be less of a problem. 

Thanks for that info. I might well ask them. As it happens we are getting blacked at Goole Boathouse in the middle of April so we aren't actually in a hurry to escape right now. But after that we'd like to be away.

• 1 month later...
On 26/03/2021 at 18:39, Alway Swilby said:

Thanks for that info. I might well ask them. As it happens we are getting blacked at Goole Boathouse in the middle of April so we aren't actually in a hurry to escape right now. But after that we'd like to be away.

From today's Yorkshire Post:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/people/aire-and-calder-navigation-to-stay-closed-to-barges-for-another-four-months-for-ps3m-repairs-to-breach-3216152

Notice Alert

Aire & Calder Navigation Main Line
Location: Goole Caisson open / Pollington Lock to Rawcliffe Bridge closed
Starts At: Lock 13, Pollington Lock
Ends At: Rawcliffe Bridge

Sunday 20 December 2020 14:30 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Structure failure

Update on 27/04/2021:

Goole Caisson stop planks have been removed and the Caisson is now open.

Navigation is now possible from Rawcliffe to Goole Caisson and onto Goole Docks.

Navigation remains closed between Rawcliffe Bridge to Pollington.

Please see separate notices regarding arrangements to book passage through Pollington Lock and Sykehouse Lock.

1 minute ago, George and Dragon said:

Notice Alert

Aire & Calder Navigation Main Line
Location: Goole Caisson open / Pollington Lock to Rawcliffe Bridge closed
Starts At: Lock 13, Pollington Lock
Ends At: Rawcliffe Bridge

Sunday 20 December 2020 14:30 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Structure failure

Update on 27/04/2021:

Goole Caisson stop planks have been removed and the Caisson is now open.

Navigation is now possible from Rawcliffe to Goole Caisson and onto Goole Docks.

Navigation remains closed between Rawcliffe Bridge to Pollington.

Please see separate notices regarding arrangements to book passage through Pollington Lock and Sykehouse Lock.

Sorry if I'm a little underwhelmed ........

ABP are now allowing leisure boats out through Ocean Lock so I think we are going to go that way. Selby swing bridge is out of action untill further notice since an HGV went over it despite there being a 3 ton weight limit. Bank Dole Lock is also closed due to a build up of silt, due to be dredged when CRT get around to it sometime. So we are going to head to Trent Falls and up the Trent. The trouble is that ABP will only pen you down at a specific time i.e 1 hour before high water. I think this would make for a very long wait at the Falls for the tide to flood. We might go up to Selby and wait there for a suitable time to head for the Falls from there. Or maybe Barmby, who knows. So many decisions!

55 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

ABP are now allowing leisure boats out through Ocean Lock so I think we are going to go that way. Selby swing bridge is out of action untill further notice since an HGV went over it despite there being a 3 ton weight limit. Bank Dole Lock is also closed due to a build up of silt, due to be dredged when CRT get around to it sometime. So we are going to head to Trent Falls and up the Trent. The trouble is that ABP will only pen you down at a specific time i.e 1 hour before high water. I think this would make for a very long wait at the Falls for the tide to flood. We might go up to Selby and wait there for a suitable time to head for the Falls from there. Or maybe Barmby, who knows. So many decisions!

You've also got the option of hanging onto Blacktoft Jetty until slack water once you get to Trent Falls. Technically ABT will make a charge but I believe this is collected by a 'local' who if he/she doesn't spot you, you will be ok. Might be worth paying the charge even. I was there a year or two back for several hours on a falling tide, taking pics, and there was little local activity.

3 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

The article implies that the canal may be closed until repairs are fully completed but CBOA and operators are working with the Trust to establish whether there may be an opportunity to complete what work is required with the canal de-watered, and then re-open for supervised passage.

The question of 'rights' is an interesting one.  The Right of Navigation was removed in the 1968 Transport Act, but there was never a right to navigate at any time of day or night as far as I am aware - for example until 1963 the locks (or some of them) on the Grand Union main line were padlocked up from 6pm to 6am (I think) to conserve water,  and you can read about this in the 'Idle Women' books, 'Hold on a Minute' etc. though I assume the fly boats were allowed through. I seem to recall Willow Wren crews were given keys in 1963, and padlocking was abandoned at some point after that.   It is true that until 2003 barge crews could work work locks on the Aire & Calder and South Yorkshire Navigations (other than Keadby and Selby locks which were manned in any case at tide times) if no lock keeper was available (and some did, under the radar, after that!).  

Regards David L

3 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

You've also got the option of hanging onto Blacktoft Jetty until slack water once you get to Trent Falls. Technically ABT will make a charge but I believe this is collected by a 'local' who if he/she doesn't spot you, you will be ok. Might be worth paying the charge even. I was there a year or two back for several hours on a falling tide, taking pics, and there was little local activity.

Blacktoft Jetty is a thought. Any idea of the cost if you do get spotted? If it was a nice narrowboat sized floating pontoon it would be ideal. However I suspect it isn't as ships use it. Is it easy to tie up to on a narrowboat? Are there suitable bollards/ cleats/ rings/ posts etc. to tie to and do you have to continually adjust the ropes?

6 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

and do you have to continually adjust the ropes?

Put long spring lines out and you'll not need to adjust your lines, we get up to 10 feet tidal variation twice a day and are moored alongside a wall.

Slack bow and stern lines and lengthy nylon springs will take up all the movement.

37 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Blacktoft Jetty is a thought. Any idea of the cost if you do get spotted? If it was a nice narrowboat sized floating pontoon it would be ideal. However I suspect it isn't as ships use it. Is it easy to tie up to on a narrowboat? Are there suitable bollards/ cleats/ rings/ posts etc. to tie to and do you have to continually adjust the ropes?

An anonymous call to ABP would got the answer. Good advice there from a lumpy water boater re lines.

• 2 months later...
On 04/07/2021 at 09:51, Up-Side-Down said:

August was the last I heard but Fanshaft will be more up to date.

Apologies for delayed response - latest info is that the repair was progressing well for a planned re-opening mid August - no official date as yet.

regards

David L

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

I understand the breach is now repaired and the canal reopened so presumably the gravel traffic is now back up and running. Can anyone confirm?

Back in business albeit still running with light loads until the A&C dredging is completed.

Certainly for the Hull - Goole leg you will see Farndale H (and Fossdale H in the near future) on Live Ships AIS (amongst others) so you can monitor progress: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:6449813/mmsi:232006203/imo:8635332/vessel:FARNDALE_H

I'm not sure whether Fusedale has AIS fitted yet – fan shaft will advise.

18 minutes ago, Orwellian said:

Thanks very much for the quick reponse and that's good to hear.

If my memory serves me correctly, that will be her second load since the flow recommenced and she will be in the canal now, not very far off Knostrop if everything is going to plan. There is considerable demand for the sand in Leeds which is why Fossdale will be joining Farndale and Fusedale shortly.